This is what it sounds like when plants cry....

A place to post videos, pictures, and any other sort of Buddhist or non-Buddhist media.
Natan

This is what it sounds like when plants cry....

Post by Natan »

You guy need to stop stressing out the plants man....

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/30/scie ... tress.html
PadmaVonSamba

Re: This is what it sounds like when plants cry....

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Natan wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:06 pm You guy need to stop stressing out the plants man....

I read about this.

When we talk about sound, we are just talking about the vibration of air molecules. Vibration is just vibration. Vibrations become sounds when perceived by a mind that experiences them.

All the report on plants can really say is that under different conditions, they create certain vibrations of air molecules. This doesn’t mean they do it intentionally any more than plants intentionally turn different colors or wilt when under-watered or over-watered.

We could also regard drooping leaves as an indicator of stress. We could describe it as a ‘call for help’.

The point is, the report tries to suggest that the plants have some capacity to intentionally produce the effect measured. I don’t think that it actually establishes that.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

PadmaVonSamba wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:41 am
Natan wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:06 pm You guy need to stop stressing out the plants man....

I read about this.

When we talk about sound, we are just talking about the vibration of air molecules. Vibration is just vibration. Vibrations become sounds when perceived by a mind that experiences them.

All the report on plants can really say is that under different conditions, they create certain vibrations of air molecules. This doesn’t mean they do it intentionally any more than plants intentionally turn different colors or wilt when under-watered or over-watered.

We could also regard drooping leaves as an indicator of stress. We could describe it as a ‘call for help’.

The point is, the report tries to suggest that the plants have some capacity to intentionally produce the effect measured. I don’t think that it actually establishes that.
That was my thought, too.

:coffee:
Kim
august

Post by august »

It's one of those "bonfire smoke hates me" articles by NYT and it's paywalled.

Plants use chemical signals, not sound. You need to vibrate at some frequency to generate sound. Plants (leaves, branches, anthers etc) only vibrate if something touches it. Like wind or insects. There is no mechanism to make leaves etc vibrate on their own.

Releasing chemicals is completely different story. All plants do that, more or less. We can even notice some of it - smell.
Look up how trees "talk" to each other and support each other in different seasons by sharing nutrients in mixed forest.

...kva-kva

Return to “Media”