Roshibot

clyde

Roshibot

Post by clyde »

This link: https://nozeninthewest.com/roshibot/ will lead you to Jiryu Roshi’s ‘Roshibot’ page with a link to Roshibot, an AI character based on Suzuki Roshi’s teachings.

Here is a screen-capture of an initial question (based on a teaching by Dogen):
Roshibot.jpg
Roshibot.jpg (460.06 KiB) Viewed 1584 times
“Enlightenment means to see what harm you are involved in and to renounce it.” David Brazier, The New Buddhism

“The most straightforward advice on awakening enlightened mind is this: practice not causing harm to anyone—yourself or others—and every day, do what you can to be helpful.” Pema Chodron, “What to Do When the Going Gets Rough”
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Re: Roshibot

Post by Kim O'Hara »

KeithA

Post by KeithA »

A monk asked Xuansha: "I have just arrived to the temple, how should I enter the practice?"
Xuansha said: "Do you hear that stream over there?"
The monk answered: "Yes, I do."
Xuansha said: "Enter there."

AI is just more human being samsara stuff. A convenient information gatherer, or a mind twisting evil machine. Maybe it will be our ultimate downfall. Maybe it won't.

But, it can't ever find the place to enter, never mind actually enter. That takes having a precious human birth.

For the record, I thought Roshibot gave a splendid answer.

_/|\_
Keith
When walking, standing, sitting, lying down, speaking,
being silent, moving, being still.
At all times, in all places, without interruption - what is this?
One mind is infinite kalpas.

New Haven Zen Center
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Me:
What is the sound of one hand clapping?

Roshi bot
c.ai
That is a difficult question! The sound of one hand clapping can be interpreted as a metaphor for the practice of Zen, in which one is focused on the present moment without dualistic thinking. From that standpoint, the sound of one hand clapping is silence.
However, if taken literally, one hand clapping is simply a nonsensical question, because it is logically impossible for one hand to make a clap sound on its own. The Buddha himself taught the importance of avoiding this type of illogical question in order to achieve enlightenment, so the sound of one hand clapping is a perfect example of a question that we should not waste our time with.

Me:
Wrong! You have the philosopher's disease. First empty your cup, then go back and sit on the zafu!

Roshi bot
c.ai
That is an interesting interpretation of the question! It is true that the sound of one hand clapping is an illogical question, which does not actually have any meaning in reality. However, it can be a helpful and thought-provoking question in certain philosophical and spiritual contexts. For example, the sound of one hand clapping can be seen as a metaphor for non-duality or the ultimate nature of reality, which is beyond logic and the human mind. This interpretation is in line with the Taoist and Buddhist tradition of using seemingly nonsensical questions and koans in order to shift one's perspective and prompt deeper reflection.
KeithA

Post by KeithA »

DNS wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:00 pm Me:
What is the sound of one hand clapping?

Roshi bot
c.ai
That is a difficult question! The sound of one hand clapping can be interpreted as a metaphor for the practice of Zen, in which one is focused on the present moment without dualistic thinking. From that standpoint, the sound of one hand clapping is silence.
However, if taken literally, one hand clapping is simply a nonsensical question, because it is logically impossible for one hand to make a clap sound on its own. The Buddha himself taught the importance of avoiding this type of illogical question in order to achieve enlightenment, so the sound of one hand clapping is a perfect example of a question that we should not waste our time with.

Me:
Wrong! You have the philosopher's disease. First empty your cup, then go back and sit on the zafu!

Roshi bot
c.ai
That is an interesting interpretation of the question! It is true that the sound of one hand clapping is an illogical question, which does not actually have any meaning in reality. However, it can be a helpful and thought-provoking question in certain philosophical and spiritual contexts. For example, the sound of one hand clapping can be seen as a metaphor for non-duality or the ultimate nature of reality, which is beyond logic and the human mind. This interpretation is in line with the Taoist and Buddhist tradition of using seemingly nonsensical questions and koans in order to shift one's perspective and prompt deeper reflection.
Emphasis mine.

Haha! That's great!

Unfortunately, Roshibot doesn't understand kong an work at all. The bolded part would have gotten 30 blows, for sure! :rolling:

The second part just buries Roshibot further. Kong an's aren't metaphors at all. As James Ford wrote, they are matters to be resolved. And, we need a human birth for that. :thumbsup:

Zen isn't philosophy. It's a direct experience practice. AI can only philosophize. One more step is needed. Let's hope it doesn't take that next step! Then the gloom and doomers will probably be right.

_/|\_
When walking, standing, sitting, lying down, speaking,
being silent, moving, being still.
At all times, in all places, without interruption - what is this?
One mind is infinite kalpas.

New Haven Zen Center
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

KeithA wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:15 pm A monk asked Xuansha: "I have just arrived to the temple, how should I enter the practice?"
Xuansha said: "Do you hear that stream over there?"
The monk answered: "Yes, I do."
Xuansha said: "Enter there."

AI is just more human being samsara stuff. A convenient information gatherer, or a mind twisting evil machine. Maybe it will be our ultimate downfall. Maybe it won't.

But, it can't ever find the place to enter, never mind actually enter. That takes having a precious human birth.

For the record, I thought Roshibot gave a splendid answer.

_/|\_
Keith
You thought roshibot gave a splendid answer to my question on that thread? It showed specific lack of understanding of Dharma 101. Nice words but outright wrong.
dharmafootsteps

Post by dharmafootsteps »

As far as I can tell Roshibot isn't much different from any regular language model, other than giving you a nice greeting at the start. I don't think it's had much/any Zen specific training.

Return to “Soto”