Bardo Thodol Question

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
conebeckham

Re: Bardo Thodol Question

Post by conebeckham »

Sādhaka wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:26 pm
climb-up wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:42 amI've stated above that I don't think this is the case with the bardo thodol, and just listened to a urbandharmaNC podcast on karma where the teacher recommends against hearing any bardo teachings if one isn't a practitioner.

I have never heard that the Song of the Vajra is for anyone to sing.

Then how would you interpret this:

Sādhaka wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:00 am
From the Elio Guarisco translation wrote:”This teaching is called the Great Liberation through Hearing because even those who have committed the five inexpiable crimes will certainly attain liberation on hearing the recitation of its words.

Therefore, read it aloud in public places. The text should be circulated. Since awareness becomes nine times clearer during the intermediate state, even if this teaching is heard only once and even if its meaning is not comprehended, at the moment of death it will be remembered without a single word forgotten. For this reason, it should be read aloud to everyone during their lifetime.

“Read it aloud next to the pillow of those who are sick, next to the bodies of the dead. It should be spread near and far.
Context is important. Pretty sure that text arose in a time and place where those instructions made sense. Of course, you may say that Guru Pema envisioned the future where Vajrayana spread to the savage lands of Monotheism or Secular Humanists. I am not so sure.

:smile: I say this tongue in cheek, but hope you understand my gist. Be careful doing Chod in your local cemetery. You know?
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

PadmaVonSamba wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:05 pm
conebeckham wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:56 pm Honestly, I think reading the Bardo Thodol to someone who is not Vajrayana is a waste of time for that person.
Which one is “that” person?
The reader or the deceased?
If the deceased,
What if it is the deceased teenage son of a lama, technically Vajrayana, raised in a devotional home but more into sports?

In other words, defining labels can be vague.
That Person is the deceased person.
In your hypothetical scenario, it would makes sense.....that teenage son having been exposed to Vajrayana to some degree.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
heart

Post by heart »

conebeckham wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:58 pm
heart wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:44 pm
conebeckham wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:56 pm Honestly, I think reading the Bardo Thodol to someone who is not Vajrayana is a waste of time for that person. Depending on circumstances, it may also be negative for those left behind. What if the person was brought up in a monotheistic faith? Do you think a ritual Jangchok or reading the BakChak Rangdrol would be a good idea?
I, and other of Dzongsar Khyentse's disciples, do jangchog for all those that are dead. Pretty sure it doesn't hurt.
Well, yes....if you do it remotely, not at the side of the corpse, with family members present, I think it's fine. Great, in fact.

I have also done that. But I have done Jangchoks for friends, at bedside, at funerals, etc. Only when those people were Vajrayana Buddhists.
Seems reasonable.
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Even among Himalayan Vajrayanists, there are differences of opinion about the Bardo Thodrol and who should read it/who it should be read to. Leaving aside the issue of who it may be read to, I think I can safely say that the reader should have completed ngondro, have received the Shi-thro empowerment, and have received the lung and thri of the text. If the recipient has also completed those things and, even more, done a retreat on the Shi-thro and practiced the prayers while alive, I think they are going to get much more benefit.

For the deceased who has not done ngondro, not received empowerment, and not received Bardo/Shi-thro teachings while alive, I agree with Cone, phowa and/or jang-chog/naydren are better choices. If one cannot do either of those, then reading Zang Chod Monlam, saying the Akshobhya mantra/dharani, saying other dharanis, lighting candles, making offerings in the deceased's name, etc. are the usual practices in my experience.

In general, I think we should remember that the Bardo Thodrol is a Dzogchen text.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Natan

Post by Natan »

Sādhaka wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:13 am
Natan wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:29 pm Bardo Thodrol is very special. One can be led to enlightenment at death without empowerment by a lama. It lies in a gray area. It's always best to get a transmission. But if you pick up the practices in the text related with Vajrasattva and Guhyagarbha you can recite them with devotion and it's wonderful. Okay?

Yeah it is unique in that sense, almost like Pith Instructions that non-Initiates are allowed to hear.

It seems that the Hundred-Syllable, the Song of the Vajra, and the Aspiration of Samantabhadra, are all Mantras that can be recited to those who haven’t received Empowerment, as a cause of eventual Liberation for them, even if there are some conditions that may apply on the part of the reciter….
Liberation by hearing is a wonderful wonderful thing

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”