William 'Bill' Bodri

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
cookies

William 'Bill' Bodri

Post by cookies »

has anyone read william bodri's website meditationexpert or his books? is he legit?
i'm trying to find people's review of this guy as a teacher but can't find anything current.... has anyone found his techniques to work for them?
stong gzugs

Re: William 'Bill' Bodri

Post by stong gzugs »

The search function has some relevant discussion that might be useful to you: https://www.dharmawheel.net/search.php?keywords=bodri
cookies

Post by cookies »

thanks, this ancient thread was the reason i signed up here https://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.p ... ri#p423059

but i'm not allowed to revive it and i can't pm those users who posted coz i'm a newbie. so here i am asking for follow-ups and hoping one of them sees and replies :shrug:
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

Many thanks for posting the link to the previous thread- that is preferred when resuming an older topic :smile:
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

Welcome to the meditation lesson website that teaches you how to meditate correctly with a large variety of yoga meditation techniques from Zen, Taoism, Buddhism, Christianity and other spiritual traditions.

[...]

You will finally stop flipping between endless meditation techniques and spiritual schools
http://www.meditationexpert.com

Umm....
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
humble.student

Post by humble.student »

cookies wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:17 pm has anyone read william bodri's website meditationexpert or his books? is he legit?
i'm trying to find people's review of this guy as a teacher but can't find anything current.... has anyone found his techniques to work for them?
Longjie's long post in the original thread hits the nail on the head , in my view, and I've read a good few of his books as well as those of his teacher Master Nan.

As far as his teachings go, he emphasises (or used to) the anapana breathing method, and the Zhunti mantra, both of which are explicitly Buddhist.
SKD

Post by SKD »

Sure he's legit. He is a great expounder and preserver of Dharma. He writes for different audiences. I have read many of his books and learned a tremendous amount from them. If you are looking for a teacher-student relationship, he is not the right person. He is basically an author. I know he has offered a courses in the past but not sure if he still does. I think he still gives presentations in China though ( for whatever that's worth). For me, his books and articles have been like a great road map and an invaluable assist on my path.
Zhen Li

Post by Zhen Li »

Legit by whose standards?

By New Age standards, perhaps. But by Buddhist standards, I'd say he's definitely "alternative."

EMF protection and karma calculators... Seems very suspicious, and if he doesn't understand karma (and that it isn't mechnicaly calculated), I would be cautious about the rest of his teachings.

Master Nan is another story. Not so orthodox, but a bit closer to Chan than Bodri seems to be, who claims to teach every religious tradition in existence. I'd say be cautious, but it doesn't hurt to test something out.

I am impressed that he still offers cassette tape recordings.
SilenceMonkey

Post by SilenceMonkey »

Bodri’s book on Internal Martial Arts Neigong helped me a lot some years ago in my qigong and martial arts training. It gave me some creative and useful methods to see outside the box of accepted cultivation systems.

But I definitely wouldn’t take what he teaches as Dharma.
SKD

Post by SKD »

There is an e-book that Bill Bodri shared freely during the pandemic. I received it through the newsletter on his site. HIs newsletter emails seem to be saved and sent out automatically from the very first to most recent ( there's less than 20 in total). The book is called "Bodhisattva Yoga". Not sure if he is still offering it though. It's over a 1000 pages long, chock full of great info on different related topics. Some things I've never heard spoken about before.
SKD

Post by SKD »

When I first saw the "Karma Calculator" on Bill's website, my first thought was that sounds cheap (not very good marketing too) and pretty much dismissed it. I didn't dismiss him though...

After reading his book "White Fat Cow" (which has Dharma teachings in it as well) I realized the "Karma Calculator" is based on the Tien Ban Shen Shu or "Iron Abascus" from China which actually uses an algorithm to calculate someone's fortune based on their birth chart (down to the minute of birth). It was fascinating to read about. Unfortunately, nowadays the majority of "readers" of this system are fakes and just money grabbers.

Just a thought... Karma, which is inconceivably complex and vast in it's causes, is in the final account or at the end of the day still cause and effect which in theory should be measurable and hence calculable. ( I think so anyway) Has someone created some system to measure karma? ... After reading about the Iron Abascus in his book I was pretty blown away and I'd have to say it looks like someone did! Some really cool anecdotes!

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”