No email contact to HE Garchen Rinpoche

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Terma

Re: No email contact to HE Garchen Rinpoche

Post by Terma »

jet.urgyen wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:25 pm my hones advice: find someone you can talk to, communication is paramount.
Can't agree more. This from my own personal experience as well.

Many of the famous gurus are simply amazing, but generally not accessible. This has been an obstacle for me in the past, so this advice is quite good.
ZopaChotso

Post by ZopaChotso »

You could always join a Lama Lena group, she answers loads of question and you can get zoom time with her fairly easily!
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Let's be real we all desire daily or regular communication with a guru but can we handle it? Can we keep a pure view when they are demanding, difficult to deal with, give their attention to others more than us, etc? The closer you are to the fire the easier it is to get burned. In a way it is a blessing to be further away from a guru as it is easier to focus on the good side of a guru. Also no dharma center politics!

That being said there is no need to "find a new guru". Just go out there and receive teachings and with continuous practice, making aspiration you will inevitably meet a spiritual master.

In the meantime are your questions that special they cannot be answered by practice, study and contemplation?

Anyway these are my priviledged 5 cents, you can keep the change. ;)
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Re: HE Garchen Rinpoche

Post by Konchog Thogme Jampa »

Könchok Thrinley wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:09 pm Anyway these are my priviledged 5 cents, you can keep the change. ;)
Thanks what shall I spend it on
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

Könchok Thrinley wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:09 pm Let's be real we all desire daily or regular communication with a guru but can we handle it? Can we keep a pure view when they are demanding, difficult to deal with, give their attention to others more than us, etc? The closer you are to the fire the easier it is to get burned. In a way it is a blessing to be further away from a guru as it is easier to focus on the good side of a guru. Also no dharma center politics!

That being said there is no need to "find a new guru". Just go out there and receive teachings and with continuous practice, making aspiration you will inevitably meet a spiritual master.

In the meantime are your questions that special they cannot be answered by practice, study and contemplation?

If one asks to talk to one's teacher is becausef a very good reason, not becuse one's ego's tricks.

To most idiots being too near to the guru is like drinking poison. They can't handle it, thinkin of their position and importance in the sangha they act just like devadatta.
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

In order to avoid an ombibus thread I took the liberty to specify and change the topic title to "No email contact to HE Garchen Rinpoche".
Giovanni

Post by Giovanni »

ZopaChotso wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:22 pm You could always join a Lama Lena group, she answers loads of question and you can get zoom time with her fairly easily!
I have no knowledge of the poster of the question, but I would be very cautious when considering changing teachers.
Teachers have different emphases, different personality displays. I think making that change from a living teacher should only ever be a last resort.
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

Giovanni wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:31 am
ZopaChotso wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:22 pm You could always join a Lama Lena group, she answers loads of question and you can get zoom time with her fairly easily!
I have no knowledge of the poster of the question, but I would be very cautious when considering changing teachers.
Teachers have different emphases, different personality displays. I think making that change from a living teacher should only ever be a last resort.
they have different styles, but one should't be afraid.

better be afraid of making phantasies and romantizice everything. teachers are not babysiters, one must learn and develop the nerve to handle things.
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
Donny

Post by Donny »

Additional to what was already proposed, i would write a long letter with all you questions and frustrations and put it on your shrine or before a picture of Rinpoche and/or you favourite buddha :namaste:
"To the sharp weapons of the demons, you offered delicate flowers in return. When the enraged Devadatta pushed down a boulder to kill you, you practiced silence. Son of the Sakyas, incapable of casting even an angry glance at your enemy, what intelligent person would honor you as a friend for protection from the great enemy, fearful samsara?"
(Gendun Chopel)
yagmort

Post by yagmort »

Giovanni wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:31 am ...would be very cautious when considering changing teachers
i'd say that only matters if one has already got developed relationships with a teacher. if one has not, then one doesn't actually change much.

speaking of Garchen Rinpoche if that is the situation (him being unavailable) i'd say it's ok to look for other teachers who can actually be a guide. there are many great lamas in Drikung. Traga Rinpoche doesn't speak english but he was a disciple of Khenpo Munsel together with Garchen Rinpoche and prior to covid he used to visit states. Nubpa Rinpoche is probably not a dzogchenpa like Traga Rinpoche but is great master nonetheless who's been through several retreats.
stay open, spread love
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Thanks everyone
Lingpupa

Post by Lingpupa »

Donny wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:57 pm Additional to what was already proposed, i would write a long letter with all you questions and frustrations and put it on your shrine or before a picture of Rinpoche and/or you favourite buddha :namaste:
I recently had a tooth extracted. I'm saving it for a similar purpose. Worked when I was four!
All best wishes

"The profundity of your devotion to your lama is not measured by your ability to turn a blind eye."
Konchog Thogme Jampa

:good:
jet.urgyen wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:47 pm

better be afraid of making phantasies and romantizice everything. teachers are not babysiters, one must learn and develop the nerve to handle things.
Donny

Post by Donny »

Lingpupa wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:49 pm
Donny wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:57 pm Additional to what was already proposed, i would write a long letter with all you questions and frustrations and put it on your shrine or before a picture of Rinpoche and/or you favourite buddha :namaste:
I recently had a tooth extracted. I'm saving it for a similar purpose. Worked when I was four!
Well there is a lot of wisdom and openness in four year olds. I think we can learn something from them.

To be honest, I really don't get the motivation behind answers like this. Is it supposed to be funny? Is it a way to display superiority? What benefits is there in mocking trust in your Guru and Yidam? Why practice at all, when these things are an seen as a reason for mockery?

Wrting is always a way to clear yourself and formulate intentions. When writing letters and never sending them can initiate change even for people in therapy - why shouln't it work when its addressed to the buddhas and bodhisattvas.

In 2019 HE Garchen Rinpoche gave a talk about his relationship with Tara and the instances where she saved his life. There he said:
“Each time I found myself in a difficult situation, the deity protected me, and my trust in her increased. This is why I tell everyone, ‘The deity is there. If you have faith and trust, the deity will be there, and your clear and trusting faith in the deity will increase.’ This is why I am sharing my story.”
Why discourage and mock trust and devotion?
Last edited by Donny on Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"To the sharp weapons of the demons, you offered delicate flowers in return. When the enraged Devadatta pushed down a boulder to kill you, you practiced silence. Son of the Sakyas, incapable of casting even an angry glance at your enemy, what intelligent person would honor you as a friend for protection from the great enemy, fearful samsara?"
(Gendun Chopel)
Donny

Post by Donny »

Konchog Thogme Jampa wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:45 pm :good:
jet.urgyen wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:47 pm

Of course teachers are no babysitter and we must learn to handle things - thats completely besides the point. That's why I wrote "Additional to what was already proposed"

But we must also learn to let go of control and the idea that we are able to handle everything. Most of the time this is the much harder thing to do.... At least for me.
(Gendun Chopel)
Giovanni

Post by Giovanni »

yagmort wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:06 pm
Giovanni wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:31 am ...would be very cautious when considering changing teachers
i'd say that only matters if one has already got developed relationships with a teacher. if one has not, then one doesn't actually change much.

speaking of Garchen Rinpoche if that is the situation (him being unavailable) i'd say it's ok to look for other teachers who can actually be a guide. there are many great lamas in Drikung. Traga Rinpoche doesn't speak english but he was a disciple of Khenpo Munsel together with Garchen Rinpoche and prior to covid he used to visit states. Nubpa Rinpoche is probably not a dzogchenpa like Traga Rinpoche but is great master nonetheless who's been through several retreats.
That’s a fair point.
Donny

Post by Donny »

Könchok Thrinley wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:09 pm Let's be real we all desire daily or regular communication with a guru but can we handle it? Can we keep a pure view when they are demanding, difficult to deal with, give their attention to others more than us, etc? The closer you are to the fire the easier it is to get burned. In a way it is a blessing to be further away from a guru as it is easier to focus on the good side of a guru. Also no dharma center politics!

:good:
(Gendun Chopel)
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Donny wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:02 pm
Of course teachers are no babysitter and we must learn to handle things - thats completely besides the point. That's why I wrote "Additional to what was already proposed"

But we must also learn to let go of control and the idea that we are able to handel everything. Most of the time this is the much harder thing to do....
Good point Vajrayana is vast and we have our limited capacities as humans
Lingpupa

Post by Lingpupa »

Donny wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:56 pm
Well there is a lot of wisdom and openness in four year olds. I think we can learn something from them.

To be honest, I really don't get the motivation behind answers like this. Is it supposed to be funny? Is it a way to display superiority? What benefits is there in mocking trust in your Guru and Yidam? Why practice at all, when these things are an seen as a reason for mockery?

Wrting is always a way to clear yourself and formulate intentions. When writing letters and never sending them can initiate change even for people in therapy - why shouln't it work when its addressed to the buddhas and bodhisattvas.

In 2019 HE Garchen Rinpoche gave a talk about his relationship with Tara and the instances where she saved his life. There he said:
“Each time I found myself in a difficult situation, the deity protected me, and my trust in her increased. This is why I tell everyone, ‘The deity is there. If you have faith and trust, the deity will be there, and your clear and trusting faith in the deity will increase.’ This is why I am sharing my story.”
Donny, you are right. It was unnecessarily sarcastic, and a slap on my wrist is well-deserved.
All best wishes

"The profundity of your devotion to your lama is not measured by your ability to turn a blind eye."
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Lingpupa wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:14 pm
Donny wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:56 pm

Donny, you are right. It was unnecessarily sarcastic, and a slap on my wrist is well-deserved.
Not sure Vajrayani's are supposed to be sarcastic there's a Vow in the Bodhisattva Vows

As I'm English I struggle with it as it's ingrained into our humour

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”