Amitābha Mantra

Marenz

Amitābha Mantra

Post by Marenz »

I’ve come across the idea that amideva is a corruption of amitābha. Although I know there are some who say to recite how your teacher does, I prefer to utilize as close to the Sanskrit as possible. Has anyone seen amitābha used in the mantra in Lerab Lingpa’s short Amitābha sadhana?

[post edited to remove mantra - Kim]
Pema Rigdzin

Re: Amitābha Mantra

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

Marenz wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:08 am I’ve come across the idea that amideva is a corruption of amitābha. Although I know there are some who say to recite how your teacher does, I prefer to utilize as close to the Sanskrit as possible. Has anyone seen amitābha used in the mantra in Lerab Lingpa’s short Amitābha sadhana?
If you hope to accomplish this sadhana, you must not go around sharing its mantra publicly. It must be kept to yourself. I’d delete that part of your post. I’ve deleted it from my quote just in case.
Pema Rigdzin/Brian Pittman
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Re: Amitābha Mantra

Post by 明安 Myoan »

I prefer to utilize as close to the Sanskrit as possible
Can you elaborate on why?

Although not an exact equivalent, I recited Amitabha's name in many forms (nianfo)... until I took refuge in a school and a specific teacher's instructions.
Then the words became part of applying the speech teachings to everyday life, along with the internal attitudes (mind) and physical activities (body) supportive of life-long practice.
To change one of these would mean that not only would I still have to face the realities of an unruly mind in samsara, but that I'd be doing so with partial instructions.
You receive more than the form of the words from a teacher.
Namu Amida Butsu

Return to “Nyingma”