My altar

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice etc.
It'sYa1UPBoy

My altar

Post by It'sYa1UPBoy »

Okay! This time, I uploaded my photo to Postimages, as was recommended! Just click this text to see it! Thank you to Kim O'Hara for salvaging the text for me from the first try.
Anyways, my altar is, perhaps, a tad generic--- that is to say, not really leaning to one tradition or another; though I am Shin, I do not have any Amitabha iconography, for example.
I have accrued my various items over the years, primarily from Earthbound. Sure, it's probably not the best place to get things from, but it's about the only place near me with non-Christian accruements and I only really became acutely familiar with online shopping in the past couple of years. While I have only recently been dedicated to Buddhism, I have flirted with it over the years.
The stones don't have any specific dharmic meaning; I just got them from Earthbound when I got an incense burner. Not the taiji one, actually, a different one that I gave my mom to put in the living room after I got the taiji one (also from EB). It catches the ashes better; it's a pain to brush them off the silk cloth and one time hot ashes burnt a tiny hole in the back end that the camera didn't catch.
The candles are just from Publix; I light them when I'm reciting the Three Jewels Refuge. The big golden Shakyamuni came from Ross when I was a youth, the malas from Amazon. Though it's not in frame, my books are to the left of all this, and on the shelf below the altar sits my incense, lighter, feather for directing the smoke, and some other things, e.g. an OMPH prayer wheel.
But the OMPH rin, the taiji incense holder, the Ganesha statues, the Budai statues, and the stones...those all came from EB over the years. Primarily, the burner has a ultilitarian purpose, but at the same time, when I look at the taiji, I can remember what Buddhism is: the Middle Way, the thin line between yin and yang.
So...yeah! That's my altar! It's at the foot of my bed because that's the only place I have to put it; I know, of course, that people say, "Don't have it in your bedroom, or if you do don't have it at your feet!" but then others say, "Try not to do that, but also don't attach yourself to transient customs." I follow the latter train of thought; after all, one of the first three fetters is "attachment to ritual and rites," yeah? Anyways, hope my photo can help inspire others in their layout and so forth.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Re: My altar

Post by Ayu »

Congrats. It looks very nice.
It'sYa1UPBoy

Post by It'sYa1UPBoy »

Thank you, Ayu. :anjali:
It'sYa1UPBoy

Post by It'sYa1UPBoy »

I know that posting of images has specific guidelines, but I'm not sure about links... Well, can't hurt to try. Anyways, this is the Guan Yin statue I mentioned earlier in another thread and I figured it would be easier to pin it onto my previous thread rather than make a new one.

ART PARK Guan Yin statue

It looks even better in person than in any photos!
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Posting images does not work like this. You rather invite people to use a hidden link instead of simply letting them see the picture.
How to post pictures has been explained most thoroughly in the Suggestion Box subforum. https://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?t=41136
It'sYa1UPBoy

Post by It'sYa1UPBoy »

Thank you for the link--- Oh hey, that's the thread I was in. Well, in any case, I just wasn't sure if posting other types of links, e.g Amazon, also had the "hidden link" requirement. But, good to see they don't, I know that for the future now.

Return to “Shrine Room”