Buddhist psychology/craving etc.

Help required with personal difficulties.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Buddhist psychology/craving etc.

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

I’m writing a paper for school comparing and contrasting Western Psychological views on craving and compulsion with Buddhist views. So far I have only three books as sources, I’m wondering if people would have any suggestions.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Aemilius

Re: Buddhist psychology/craving etc.

Post by Aemilius »

Love and Addiction, by Stanton Peele and Archie Brodsky

"In Love and Addiction, published 40 years ago and sold as a mass-market paperback on love, Stanton Peele and Archie Brodsky laid out every major issue confronting the addiction field today. This pioneering classic, which was excerpted in Cosmopolitan and spawned the codependence movement, is the first—and still the definitive—book on addictive love. But it is much more than that; it is the book that explains why addiction is not what we think it is. Love and Addiction focuses on dependent love relationships to explore what both love and addiction really are—psychologically, socially, and culturally.

Addiction is an overgrown, dependent, destructive relationship. Love is the opposite, a sharing, growth-inspiring one. The authors’ analysis makes clear that an addiction is an experience that takes on meaning and power in light of a person’s needs, desires, beliefs, expectations, and fears. By showing how addiction grows out of ordinary human experience, Peele and Brodsky offer a liberating understanding of all addictions—to alcohol, drugs, tobacco, food, gambling, shopping, electronic media, sex, or love. In 1975, Love and Addiction boldly proposed ideas whose truth is only now being recognized:

Addiction is not limited to drugs, and drugs are not necessarily addictive.
AA’s 12 steps are not the last word in addiction treatment. On the contrary, practically oriented addiction treatments are more effective.
The goal of addiction treatment and recovery is not abstinence to the exclusion of all else, but to build a life that rules out addiction.
Love is the opposite of the self-protective constriction of addiction; it is the expansion of your spirit with another human being.

Remarkably, all of these issues—the widespread application of the addiction diagnosis, the limited value of AA and its disease theory, the possibility that people can continue using but still eliminate addiction (harm reduction)—are as hotly debated today as when Peele and Brodsky first analyzed addiction forty years ago. Most remarkably of all, the answers Peele and Brodsky arrived at in Love and Addiction are only now being embraced by progressive thinkers in the field.

“Destined to become a classic!” Psychology Today proclaimed in 1975. Rereading Love and Addiction 35 years later, addiction researcher Rowdy Yates wrote that the book “still reads absolutely true as an understanding of addictive behavior.” "

The word "Buddhism" is not written in it, but there is genuine insight into the nature of reality.
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Stanton Peele is interesting, I’ll check it out, thanks!

-Khunu Lama
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Does anyone know where I would look for detailed examination of types of craving, etc. in Dharma terms? I remember some basic stuff from Pali literature, I was wondering if maybe I might consult Abhidharma literature, etc.

-Khunu Lama
mnuuu

Post by mnuuu »

Venerable Dr. Chönyi Taylor has written a book on addiction from a Buddhist perspective that night interest you. She has some videos on the Study Buddhism youtube channel
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:57 pm I’m writing a paper for school comparing and contrasting Western Psychological views on craving and compulsion with Buddhist views. So far I have only three books as sources, I’m wondering if people would have any suggestions.
have you looked at Gabor Mate works?
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

jet.urgyen wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:38 pm
Johnny Dangerous wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:57 pm I’m writing a paper for school comparing and contrasting Western Psychological views on craving and compulsion with Buddhist views. So far I have only three books as sources, I’m wondering if people would have any suggestions.
I’m fairly familiar with him but don’t remember Buddhist stuff or anything on craving, he’s generally more of a trauma/environment guy, IMO almost a reductionist, but I still value his work.

Do you know of something by him where he specifically discusses craving and impulse?

-Khunu Lama
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:47 pm
jet.urgyen wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:38 pm
I’m fairly familiar with him but don’t remember Buddhist stuff or anything on craving, he’s generally more of a trauma/environment guy, IMO almost a reductionist, but I still value his work.

Do you know of something by him where he specifically discusses craving and impulse?
havent read it but has a work named "In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts: Close Encounters with Addiction". i'm ok beting it has material on craving .

as far as i heared him and his speech i understand he has some buddhist understanding. he is psychiatrist btw.

[Mod note Oct 2023: "Help required" topics are being locked on a regular base, because they were a general task for necroing in the past. But mostly the problems that require help are only short-term lasting and temporary.]
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.

Return to “Help Required”