"Sangha Solutions" in the Dzogchen Community

Vasana

"Sangha Solutions" in the Dzogchen Community

Post by Vasana »

I wanted to highlight this initiative led by the Blue Gakyil of Dzmaling Gar. If you are on the mail-list for Dzamling Gar, you may have received an email today (8th Feb 23) explaining how to vote for the next topic to be collaboratively discussed. Some of the topics have been doing the rounds on this forum for some time and there are IDC-wide topics, and others are more Dzamling Gar-specific.

I haven't been to a meeting yet, but maybe this is something that members and Gars and Lings worldwide might want to participate more with.
What is Sangha Solutions
Sangha Solutions are open meetings to discuss matters of interest and importance to the Dzamling Gar Community. Their goal is to enhance communication, collaboration, and participation. To make people better informed, to increase transparency, and to learn from each other. To identify problems and find solutions together. And to do this in a joyful way, with respect to each other.

Original idea came from the observation that there was no space of communication in Dzamling Gar where we could discuss important questions together as a community. So the idea was to try to create such a space - to have a community meeting once per month, for example, and dedicate each meeting to one specific topic with a clear agenda and a goal.

This format is an ongoing experiment. We constantly learn from our experience and from participants’ feedback. Even the name “Sangha Solutions” is an experiment.
Many DC posts on this forum seem to descend into counter-productive conversations, this is at least one example of the international Gar working towards better collaboration and discussion at a DC-wide level, rather than just in disjointed places like internet sub-forums, which may not represent a fair sample of the diverse and unified views of DC members and students.

https://www.dzamlinggar.net/en/

[email protected]
Attachments
unnamed.png
unnamed.png (60.78 KiB) Viewed 2031 times
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
jet.urgyen

Re: "Sangha Solutions" in the Dzogchen Community

Post by jet.urgyen »

collaborate as a vajra family is a practice by itself, during the practice one can't run away. :rolling:

shouldn't*.
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

This will allow the community to make good decisions for the community itself in terms of how best to hopefully suit the needs of practitioners who have already taken transmission from Rinpoche in the past. That's a good thing, and it is commendable. I fully support it. For the DC as an entity to not become obsolete or fully dissolve in the future, it needs a charismatic leader to provide inspiration and direction. Unfortunately, this point will be lost on many people.

Note that the name is "Sangha Solutions", not "Dzogchen Community Solutions" because the only solution for the DC overall is what I pointed out above.

Virgo
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

Virgo wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:19 pm This will allow the community to make good decisions for the community itself in terms of how best to hopefully suit the needs of practitioners who have already taken transmission from Rinpoche in the past. That's a good thing, and it is commendable. I fully support it. For the DC as an entity to not become obsolete or fully dissolve in the future, it needs a charismatic leader to provide inspiration and direction. Unfortunately, this point will be lost on many people.

Note that the name is "Sangha Solutions", not "Dzogchen Community Solutions" because the only solution for the DC overall is what I pointed out above.

Virgo
Hey Virgo (and others who hold the same view)

1) Are you on that mail list?
2)Have you seen the listed topics people can vote for the next meeting? (This relates to the rest of your comment
(I won't share publically, because I don't know if the material is public, or meant for Dzamling Gar subscribers or DC members only)

3)Have you ever considered that there may be alternative viewpoints and historical understandings for us to collectively draw guidance from?

I'm getting kind of tired of people on this forum ruling out so many possible futures based on lots of present-day anxiety. This is after all the whole point of being asked to 'collaborate' and 'work with circumstances' by ChNN, is it not? So many DC people on this forum have valid concerns but in my opinion, show a lack of faith (or responsibility?) in putting as much energy into collaborating as they do forecasting the future based on incomplete, anecdotal or obsolete sources. Many people seem adamant that just a small handful out of a hundred possible futures are the ones we're inescapably heading for.

Institutions rise and fall. They Expand and shrink. They're upscaled and downscaled.
Transmissions come and go. They are renewed and re-distributed. Concealed and revealed.Shared with many, or just a karmically fortunate few.

The real shelf-life and expanse of all of these parts is down to us, each to our individual and collective capacity for involvement.
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
Tata1

Post by Tata1 »

Vasana wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:34 pm
Virgo wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:19 pm This will allow the community to make good decisions for the community itself in terms of how best to hopefully suit the needs of practitioners who have already taken transmission from Rinpoche in the past. That's a good thing, and it is commendable. I fully support it. For the DC as an entity to not become obsolete or fully dissolve in the future, it needs a charismatic leader to provide inspiration and direction. Unfortunately, this point will be lost on many people.

Virgo

2)Have you seen the listed topics people can vote for the next meeting? (This relates to the rest of your comment
(I won't share publically, because I don't know if the material is public, or meant for Dzamling Gar subscribers or DC members only)

3)Have you ever considered that there may be alternative viewpoints and historical understandings for us to collectively draw guidance from?

I'm getting kind of tired of people on this forum ruling out so many possible futures based on lots of present-day anxiety. This is after all the whole point of being asked to 'collaborate' and 'work with circumstances' by ChNN, is it not? So many DC people on this forum have valid concerns but in my opinion, show a lack of faith (or responsibility?) in putting as much energy into collaborating as they do forecasting the future based on incomplete, anecdotal or obsolete sources. Many people seem adamant that just a small handful out of a hundred possible futures are the ones we're inescapably heading for.

Institutions rise and fall. They Expand and shrink. They're upscaled and downscaled.
Transmissions come and go. They are renewed and re-distributed. Concealed and revealed.Shared with many, or just a karmically fortunate few.

The real shelf-life and expanse of all of these parts is down to us, each to our individual and collective capacity for involvement.
100% agree
heart

Post by heart »

Virgo

Interestingly you sound like there is a plan for DC and that people who don't grasp that is actually trying to destroy that plan. So, Vasana, would you mind telling me what the plan is? It is definitely not been communicated in any way at all by DC. All I ever hear is "don't rock the boat", don't do this don't do that and only Yeshi can give direct introduction. As a plan for the future of DC it seems small minded and pretty hopeless if you don't mind me saying it. Please feel free to elaborate.
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

heart wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:04 am

Virgo

Interestingly you sound like there is a plan for DC and that people who don't grasp that is actually trying to destroy that plan. So, Vasana, would you mind telling me what the plan is? It is definitely not been communicated in any way at all by DC. All I ever hear is "don't rock the boat", don't do this don't do that and only Yeshi can give direct introduction. As a plan for the future of DC it seems small minded and pretty hopeless if you don't mind me saying it. Please feel free to elaborate.
I don't know of any plans. All I remember is that Yeshi was going to lead a retreat in 2020 and then a Pandemic happened. I remember he's teaching in Merigar this May and Merigar's update a few months ago. To many that would be seen as positive. But on dharmawheel, I guess not.
Then there are NN Rinpoche's students who are qualified in various ways.To many that would also be seen as a positive thing.

Integration. We either integrate with the world and other sanghas, or we whine among ourselves and then do nothing about it ourselves.

As I said, join that mail-list, hop on some meetings. Have your voice heard. Encourage your gar/ling to do so.

Other than Sangha solutions approach - has anyone seen any better ideas for encouraging a platform for international collaboration and discussion?
heart

Post by heart »

Vasana wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:24 am

I don't know of any plans. All I remember is that Yeshi was going to lead a retreat in 2020 and then a Pandemic happened. I remember he's teaching in Merigar this May and Merigar's update a few months ago. To many that would be seen as positive. But on dharmawheel, I guess not.
Then there are NN Rinpoche's students who are qualified in various ways.To many that would also be seen as a positive thing.

Integration. We either integrate with the world and other sanghas, or we whine among ourselves and then do nothing about it ourselves.

As I said, join that mail-list, hop on some meetings. Have your voice heard. Encourage your gar/ling to do so.

Other than Sangha solutions approach - has anyone seen any better ideas for encouraging a platform for international collaboration and discussion?
I really hope, like everyone here that have a connection to Rinpoche, that DC will evolve from where they seem to be now. But if you don't appreciate the candid discussion on DW by people who where very dedicated to Rinpoches teachings it seems very unlikely that it will. To have a discussion on this forum is not to "whine among ourselves" since it is open to the world so "Sangha solutions" and yourself should embrace it and feel positive about it.
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

heart wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:42 am
Vasana wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:24 am

I really hope, like everyone here that have a connection to Rinpoche, that DC will evolve from where they seem to be now. But if you don't appreciate the candid discussion on DW by people who where very dedicated to Rinpoches teachings it seems very unlikely that it will. To have a discussion on this forum is not to "whine among ourselves" since it is open to the world so "Sangha solutions" and yourself should embrace it and feel positive about it.
I agree. I get the impression that Sangha solutions is not widely known in the DC. Since it's a more official platform than DW, it makes sense for Rinpoche's students on DW to embrace it and feel positive about it also.

Their email again:

[email protected]
treehuggingoctopus

Post by treehuggingoctopus »

DC members need to be told about the initative, if it is serious. I had been convinced (and had done my research) that they are strictly offline. It turns out they are not.

That said, if they are to make sense, they have to have some actual agency. I mean, talking that leads nowhere, or nowhere in particular, is a waste of time. How can the results of such meetings impact the DC policies? I am not being rhetorical here: I see no information about it whatsoever. Does what is agreed upon in their course have any effective power, or is it just mere talk?
Générosité de l’invisible.
Notre gratitude est infinie.
Le critère est l’hospitalité.

Edmond Jabès
dharmafootsteps

Post by dharmafootsteps »

This is primarily a Dzamling Gar thing. For people who don't live there, regularly visit or have some special interest in DzG for some reason, most of the meetings probably aren't of much interest.
someonejustlikeyou

Post by someonejustlikeyou »

I've been involved in preparing these meetings in Dzamlinggar. Therefore it probably makes sense that I step in and provide some information here, to limit space for misinterpretation and false assumptions. For better clarity, I'll try to stick to facts and avoid my own interpretations as much as I can.
Vasana wrote:I wanted to highlight this initiative led by the Blue Gakyil of Dzmaling Gar.
This initiative has been led by people of Dzamlinggar but not exactly by the Gakyil. Some people who help prepare these meetings are members of the Gakyil, but most are not. This is just to highlight that this has developed not as a top-down initiative, but a bottom-up one. Like many other projects and initiatives that have been happening in Dzamlinggar during the last 2 years. Having said that, the Gakyil of Dzamlinggar supports the "Sangha Solutions" initiative, participates in these meetings, and uses the outcomes of the meetings in their (Gakyil's) decisions and planning.

Vasana wrote: If you are on the mail-list for Dzamling Gar, you may have received an email today (8th Feb 23) explaining how to vote for the next topic to be collaboratively discussed.
The information about the poll to choose the topic was distributed through the following communication channels: Dzamlinggar whatsapp chats, Dzamlinggar Facebook group, Dzamlinggar mailing list, Norbunet. This was the second step of choosing the topic. The first one was an open survey sent several weeks ago through the same channels where everyone could suggest their topic to be inluded in the poll.

This would be the fourth "Sangha Solutions" meeting in Dzamlinggar, the first three were run in 2022. The information about those past meetings was communicated through the same channels I mentioned above. Although maybe in some cases Norbunet wasn't used when the topics were more of local concern.
dharmafootsteps wrote:This is primarily a Dzamling Gar thing. For people who don't live there, regularly visit or have some special interest in DzG for some reason, most of the meetings probably aren't of much interest.
Most of the meetings are indeed primarily a Dzamlinggar thing. But not all of them. Among the three meetings we had last year, two were of local concern, and one was not. Among the 10 options listed for voting to choose the next topic, 7 are of local concern, and 3 are not.

It is possible to attend the meetings both offline and online. During the last meeting, for example, there were ~40 people on-site, and ~50 connections online. Out of those, 30+ people used the opportunity to share their thoughts by speaking or by sending their thoughts in a written form. The rest were simply listening, but everyone who wanted to speak was able to do so.
Vasana wrote:I get the impression that Sangha solutions is not widely known in the DC.
There are several reasons for that:
1. From the beginning, the goal of this format of meetings was to fill the gap in communication in Dzamlinggar. So our target audience were mostly people that have some interest in the life of Dzamlinggar.
2. This whole initiative is an experiment in action, and we've only started not so long time ago. We're constanly learning from past meetings and from the feedback we get from participants. If this format proves to be successfull (so far, the feedback is very positive), and if other Gars/Lings/individual members are interested to collaborate with us on this, we will be more than happy to do that. Probably, sometimes "to collaborate" will mean to share our experience so that other Gars/Lings can do something similar in their communities. And maybe sometimes it might mean that we invite other Gars/Lings to participate in one big meeting.
3. One of the main reasons why we don't try to scale up these meetings (at least not yet) is that we don't know yet how to manage them in a way that we provide everyone an opportunity to participate actively (not only by listening), and at the same time we can end the meeting in 2-3 hours. It is possible when we have <100 participants and 30-40 of them take the mic to speak. But how to do that if we have 2-5-10 times more participants, and half of them won't speak English? That's still an open question for us. Maybe at some point we come up with a solution.
Vasana wrote:Other than Sangha solutions approach - has anyone seen any better ideas for encouraging a platform for international collaboration and discussion?
In fact, one of the options in the poll is International collaboration - to discuss the possibilities we have for that, what we can do, how we can grow our connections from different parts of the world. Based on the results of the voting so far, it's 4th most popular topic (37% of participants voted for it). So it's highly likely that one of the Sangha Solutions meetings along the summer will be dedicated to that.
Virgo wrote: Note that the name is "Sangha Solutions", not "Dzogchen Community Solutions" because the only solution for the DC overall is what I pointed out above.
The name is also an experiment. "Sangha solutions" sounded good enough, but we're open to change the name at some point if there is a better alternative.
Vasana wrote:(I won't share publically, because I don't know if the material is public, or meant for Dzamling Gar subscribers or DC members only)
The materials we share are surely not public. Some of them might contain sensitive information, such as personal details or information on some sensitive topics. We ask everyone not to share the links to the materials in public spaces like this forum. In case of doubt, you can always reach out to us via [email protected]
treehuggingoctopus wrote:DC members need to be told about the initative, if it is serious. I had been convinced (and had done my research) that they are strictly offline. It turns out they are not. That said, if they are to make sense, they have to have some actual agency. I mean, talking that leads nowhere, or nowhere in particular, is a waste of time. How can the results of such meetings impact the DC policies? I am not being rhetorical here: I see no information about it whatsoever. Does what is agreed upon in their course have any effective power, or is it just mere talk?
Honestly, it's not easy to stick to facts replying to a comment written in such tone. But I'll try. Above, I've already explained how this initiative is related to Dzamlinggar versus larger DC, and what is our thinking process behind going more in the direction of larger DC.

To assist everyone interested in doing their research about Sangha Solutions, we had prepared extensive documentation that we've been sharing, I believe, in every our communication. Particularly, the email about the voting contains "Click on the link if you would like to learn more about the Sangha Solution Meetings.". I don't put the link to the document here for the reason I stated above. That document which is called "Sangha Solutions overview" explains our general approach and contains links to other relevant documents - reports of the past meetings, feedback from the participants, results of past surveys, etc. That documentation might answer all/most/some of your questions.

And in case it doesn't answer some of them, you can always ask by writing to [email protected]. To make sure that people know about this option, in every our communication we add something like this: "If you have any questions or suggestions, please let us know via [email protected]"

You can also join one of the next meetings to get a better sense of what they are.
laowhining

Post by laowhining »

Not only is it primarily a Dzamling Gar initiative, it grew, in part, out of complaints amongst those at and near the Gar that the Gakyil was not as transparent as it could/should be. I think it's useful and interesting for anyone with a strong interest in Dzamling Gar, but I'm not sure how much it will influence the global community. I'm not even sure how much of what is discussed will be implemented. At the end of the day, the DZG Gakyil is a small handful of volunteers who are already busy with just maintaining the Gar's facilities and programming.

Sometimes if an initiative is popular enough, a volunteer group will be put together that will work towards a given goal. There are definitely things happening. But like I said, very much a more local initiative rather than something that is intended to impact the Community elsewhere.

Having said that, it's perhaps not a bad model for other Gars and Lings to adopt, if they don't have something similar already.
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

Not even Buddha could make everyone happy. There is no reason why be upset.
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

someonejustlikeyou wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:20 pm I've been involved in preparing these meetings in Dzamlinggar. Therefore it probably makes sense that I step in and provide some information here, to limit space for misinterpretation and false assumptions. For better clarity, I'll try to stick to facts and avoid my own interpretations as much as I can.
Thanks for stepping in here to bring some clarity. I'm going to highlight in bold some of the key points that It seems some people may still be overlooking when reading and replying to this thread.
someonejustlikeyou wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:20 pm
dharmafootsteps wrote:This is primarily a Dzamling Gar thing. For people who don't live there, regularly visit or have some special interest in DzG for some reason, most of the meetings probably aren't of much interest.
Most of the meetings are indeed primarily a Dzamlinggar thing. But not all of them. Among the three meetings we had last year, two were of local concern, and one was not. Among the 10 options listed for voting to choose the next topic, 7 are of local concern, and 3 are not.
laowhining wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:26 pm Sometimes if an initiative is popular enough, a volunteer group will be put together that will work towards a given goal. There are definitely things happening. But like I said, very much a more local initiative rather than something that is intended to impact the Community elsewhere.
See above. The three options are very much of global influence.
laowhining wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:26 pmHaving said that, it's perhaps not a bad model for other Gars and Lings to adopt, if they don't have something similar already.
Agreed.
Vasana wrote:Other than Sangha solutions approach - has anyone seen any better ideas for encouraging a platform for international collaboration and discussion?
In fact, one of the options in the poll is International collaboration - to discuss the possibilities we have for that, what we can do, how we can grow our connections from different parts of the world. Based on the results of the voting so far, it's 4th most popular topic (37% of participants voted for it). So it's highly likely that one of the Sangha Solutions meetings along the summer will be dedicated to that.
someonejustlikeyou wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:20 pm in every our communication we add something like this: "If you have any questions or suggestions, please let us know via [email protected]"
laowhining

Post by laowhining »

Vasana wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:19 pm
laowhining wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:26 pm Sometimes if an initiative is popular enough, a volunteer group will be put together that will work towards a given goal. There are definitely things happening. But like I said, very much a more local initiative rather than something that is intended to impact the Community elsewhere.
See above. The three options are very much of global influence.
3 out of 10 and that's just the most recent set of topics. I think dharmafootsteps' point stands -- most of the things discussed probably aren't of interest to people who aren't invested in Dzamling Gar.

Anyway, my point was not that there's not the hope of global influence, but rather to say that this is a grassroots effort, not something organized by the DC as a global institution with the intent to impact all DC members.

We'll see how things evolve and it's been a while since I've been an active participant, but I was present when this initiative started and attended the first couple meetings.
FieldBob

Post by FieldBob »

This forum is very negative overall. If you come here with a positive intent you will be crushed in to dust. take comments lightly.
Last edited by FieldBob on Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

FieldBob wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:18 am This forum is very negative overall. If you come here with a positive intent you will be crushed in to dust. take comments lightly.
Yep. I feel bad for newbies who come here and are immediately torn down by minute differences of opinion or imposed authority.
As humans, there is some value in having a 'negativity bias', but it does seem to run rampant in dharma forums more than you would expect given the nature of the teachings.

There is ample empirical evidence for an asymmetry in the way that adults use positive versus negative information to make sense of their world; specifically, across an array of psychological situations and tasks, adults display a negativity bias, or the propensity to attend to, learn from, and use negative information far more than positive information.
Tata1

Post by Tata1 »

FieldBob wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:18 am This forum is very negative overall. If you come here with a positive intent you will be crushed in to dust. take comments lightly.
Indeed.
Bapho

Post by Bapho »

Totally true. Here are people very scholarly :reading: but "little tact" and are too much conceited... :toilet:
Vasana wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:09 pm Yep. I feel bad for newbies who come here and are immediately torn down by minute differences of opinion or imposed authority.
As humans, there is some value in having a 'negativity bias', but it does seem to run rampant in dharma forums more than you would expect given the nature of the teachings.
That has been my experience. They are very focused on the "small differences" (the small stain on the wall) and in imposing their point of view. But well, I see it as part of the "initiation" process of Dharma Wheel.
They should take more the example of their HHDL that is not only a inspiration for the Buddhists. :anjali:
Last edited by Bapho on Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Dzogchen”