What are you watching? Any good?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Virgo

Re: What are you watching? Any good?

Post by Virgo »

Untouched Wilderness in America's northernmost National Park.

Virgo
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

DharmaJunior

Post by DharmaJunior »

Malcolm wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:20 pm The Last of Us:

https://www.hbo.com/the-last-of-us
Interesting recommendation. I just saw two seasons of 'black summer'. I mean absolutely awful story with thick as f plot armor, yet an interesting premise. The theoretical story was banking on people being the worst to one another, replete with emotional blackmail, that sort of thing. The theoretical adaptive situation was thrown out for dramatical effect. I mean people just had to die in order for a pandemic to take place, so why consider what intelligent people would do to undo distopia? So effectively a sermons hinging upon distrust, disconnected from any historical connotation; maybe just neighbours with zeds, but if you enjoy that sort of thing give it a whirl. It drags its feet a bit, but that 'carrot on a stick' chestnut gets me from time to time.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

DharmaJunior wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:02 pm

Interesting recommendation.
The writing is the key point of this series.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

The two shows I’ve enjoyed recently are White Lotus and The Last of Us.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
DharmaJunior

Post by DharmaJunior »

Malcolm wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:17 pm

I shall write first and then give it a try. that said, I'm a bit familiar with the writing. (spoilers) Joel experience's the worst thing a parent faces, and then endures a world without psychological support. AFAIk, he is in hell; Ellie is his angel and rekindles his hollow shell. She is the potential saviour, (the lives of many outweigh the few etc). So Joel cannot lose again, and pitted against the heaviest and most insurmountable human challenge, it's a desperate lashing out in frustration. IE: a grey area of moral relativism.

In any case, perhaps you disagree, again I'll take a look at it. Also, I wanted to find tusla city on netflix but haven't found it yet.

Sorry to interrupt btw.
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

I'm going to subscribe for the first time in order to watch this. :smile:

Virgo
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

DharmaJunior wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:08 pm
Malcolm wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:17 pm
I shall write first and then give it a try. that said, I'm a bit familiar with the writing. (spoilers) Joel experience's the worst thing a parent faces, and then endures a world without psychological support. AFAIk, he is in hell; Ellie is his angel and rekindles his hollow shell. She is the potential saviour, (the lives of many outweigh the few etc). So Joel cannot lose again, and pitted against the heaviest and most insurmountable human challenge, it's a desperate lashing out in frustration. IE: a grey area of moral relativism.

In any case, perhaps you disagree, again I'll take a look at it. Also, I wanted to find tusla city on netflix but haven't found it yet.

Sorry to interrupt btw.
I mean, some cliches and tropes endure for a reason.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Genjo Conan

Post by Genjo Conan »

I haven't watched The Last of Us. That said, the last project of the guy who made it, Craig Mazin, was the Chernobyl miniseries, which was great. TLoU is definitely on my list.
Shinjin

Post by Shinjin »

Superbowl next weekend
DharmaJunior

Post by DharmaJunior »

watch akira...

Virgo

Post by Virgo »

PBS Eons: How Horses Took Over North America (Twice):

Virgo
Miorita

Post by Miorita »

Whatever is on tonight.
If it's good? - Maybe!
It starts...
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

So I've been watching (and am currently caught up on) Last of Us. It is absolutely amazing so far! Thanks to everybody who recommended it.

They are going to release S1E5 tomorrow. They brought it up two days so as not to compete with the superbowl.

Virgo
DharmaJunior

Post by DharmaJunior »

Virgo wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:16 pm So I've been watching (and am currently caught up on) Last of Us. It is absolutely amazing so far! Thanks to everybody who recommended it.

They are going to release S1E5 tomorrow. They brought it up two days so as not to compete with the superbowl.

Virgo
Yes, I was very pleasantly surprised. Even Ellie is not faithful to the original but the chemistry between characters I found very heartwarming. Joel, Ellie and Tess cast very well, to my eyes. What I found did very well, was interaction between Joel and Ellie. So far it's a love conquers all approach. Joel treat Ellie with kids gloves, but it's a quid pro quo interaction. Joel has no psycho-social support, and yet he has a walking talking miracle upon his hands. She treats him also with kid gloves and that chips away at his 'armor'. She disarms him at every opportunity, which is exactly the opposite of what should be taking place, but unknowingly she bestows the greatest gift he will ever receive.

side note@ Bill and partner I was not ready for, but was very romantic and very much a breathe of fresh air, and actually a hard reckoning. A difficult part of the series for me; it doesn't always have to be uncomfortable to be great (but to put myself into those shoes), it bridged the gap In a respect that I don't see, yet the commonality was that of loss, which is not to do it any justice thematically, and Bill's partner was there to both awaken and, and he mentions, give purpose to his short time.
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

DharmaJunior wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:37 pm
Yes, I was very pleasantly surprised. Even Ellie is not faithful to the original but the chemistry between characters I found very heartwarming. Joel, Ellie and Tess cast very well, to my eyes. What I found did very well, was interaction between Joel and Ellie. So far it's a love conquers all approach. Joel treat Ellie with kids gloves, but it's a quid pro quo interaction. Joel has no psycho-social support, and yet he has a walking talking miracle upon his hands. She treats him also with kid gloves and that chips away at his 'armor'. She disarms him at every opportunity, which is exactly the opposite of what should be taking place, but unknowingly she bestows the greatest gift he will ever receive.

side note@ Bill and partner I was not ready for, but was very romantic and very much a breathe of fresh air, and actually a hard reckoning. A difficult part of the series for me; it doesn't always have to be uncomfortable to be great (but to put myself into those shoes), it bridged the gap In a respect that I don't see, yet the commonality was that of loss, which is not to do it any justice thematically, and Bill's partner was there to both awaken and, and he mentions, give purpose to his short time.
Yeah, I guess (sorry, I am not sure how to respond to those points).

I am glad you are enjoying it though, DharmaJunior. I am too. :thumbsup:

Virgo
Last edited by Virgo on Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DharmaJunior

Post by DharmaJunior »

Virgo wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:36 pm I am glad you are enjoying it though, DharmaJunior. I am too. :thumbsup:
Virgo
Yes, shared joy comes without weight. So there is no need for any for action. :thanks:
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

DharmaJunior wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:36 pm
Virgo wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:36 pm I am glad you are enjoying it though, DharmaJunior. I am too. :thumbsup:
Virgo
Yes, shared joy comes without weight. So there is no need for any for action. :thanks:
:thumbsup:

Virgo
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

DharmaJunior wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:08 pmAlso, I wanted to find tusla city on netflix but haven't found
It's on paramount.
Kai lord

Post by Kai lord »

Great video on impermanence and motherly love.

Life is like a game, either you win or lose!
Life is like a fight, either you live or die!
Life is like a show, either you laugh or cry!
Life is like a dream, either you know or not!!!

Return to “Lounge”