No Translation of Any Chapters of the Treasure of the Supreme Vehicle by Longchenpa

Sādhaka

Re:  No Translation of Any Chapters of the Treasure of the Supreme Vehicle by Longchenpa

Post by Sādhaka »

Malcolm wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:30 pm...there is always new material being recovered in libraries.
Found that^ on an apparent honeypot forum called GLP, of all places....
Sādhaka

Re:  No Translation of Any Chapters of the Treasure of the Supreme Vehicle by Longchenpa

Post by Sādhaka »

Not sure why that^ didn't show up in my previous post; but to try again....

Anyhow, it turns out that that^ is something from 2011 afterall, and is seeming to be made into something that it's not on some social media websites. Therefore probably no Dzogchen Tantra commentaries to be found there.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Sādhaka wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:43 pm

Not sure why that^ didn't show up in my previous post; but to try again....

Anyhow, it turns out that that^ is something from 2011 afterall, and is seeming to be made into something that it's not on some social media websites. Therefore probably no Dzogchen Tantra commentaries to be found there.
At Sakya? There most certainly will be.
Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka »

I mean yeah I'm aware that there are and were many Sakyapa Dzogchen practitioners....

Although:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sakya_Monastery

Sakya Monastery houses a huge library of as many as 84,000 books on traditional stacks 60 metres long and 10 metres high. Most of them are Buddhist scriptures, although they also include works of literature, history, philosophy, astronomy, mathematics, agriculture and art. One scripture weighs more than 500 kg, the heaviest in the world. The collection also includes many volumes of palm-leaf manuscripts, which are well-preserved due to the region's arid climate. In 2003, the library was examined by the Tibetan Academy of Social Sciences. The monastery started to digitize the library in 2011. As of 2022, all books have been indexed, and more than 20% have been fully digitized. Monks now maintain a digital library for all scanned books and documents.

...if any of the remaining eleven commentaries, that ManiThePainter referred to, were to be found there, they probably would have turned up by now...?
Last edited by Sādhaka on Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Sādhaka wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:46 pm I mean yeah I'm aware that there are and were many Sakyapa Dzogchen practitioners....

Although:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sakya_Monastery

Sakya Monastery houses a huge library of as many as 84,000 books on traditional stacks 60 metres long and 10 metres high. Most of them are Buddhist scriptures, although they also include works of literature, history, philosophy, astronomy, mathematics, agriculture and art. One scripture weighs more than 500 kg, the heaviest in the world. The collection also includes many volumes of palm-leaf manuscripts, which are well-preserved due to the region's arid climate. In 2003, the library was examined by the Tibetan Academy of Social Sciences. The monastery started to digitize the library in 2011. As of 2022, all books have been indexed, and more than 20% have been fully digitized. Monks now maintain a digital library for all scanned books and documents.

...if any of the remaining eleven commentaries, that ManiThePainter referred to, were to be found there, they probably would have turned up by now...?
Not necessarily. The volumes have been indexed, not the contents.
RigdzinRigpa

Post by RigdzinRigpa »

Mr Merrill made a draft translation of some chapters. For example:

Longchenpa's Theg mchog mdzod, Chapter 1, The Triple Homeland
Merrill Peterson
https://www.academia.edu/43208880/Longc ... e_Homeland
tinylocusta

Post by tinylocusta »

RigdzinRigpa wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:44 pm Mr Merrill made a draft translation of some chapters. For example:

Longchenpa's Theg mchog mdzod, Chapter 1, The Triple Homeland
Merrill Peterson
https://www.academia.edu/43208880/Longc ... e_Homeland
Thank you, it's interesting. Although frankly, phrases like "sixfold Rockstar Pedestal" for the "sixth Vajradhara" might be a bit too much for my small brain. It would be great to have a nano-Mahāvyutpatti of her terms, like homeland=kaya etc. as some of them are hard to decipher.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

tinylocusta wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:20 pm phrases like "sixfold Rockstar Pedestal" for the "sixth Vajradhara" might be a bit too much for my small brain.
This kind of translation is not serious. It is important in Dzogchen that the words and the meanings are connected, which is not the case in this small example.

Return to “Dzogchen”