NBA basketball GOAT

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
DNS
Site Admin

NBA basketball GOAT

Post by DNS »

For NBA fans, history about to be made. I watched live when Kareem Abdul-Jabar surpassed Wilt Chamberlain's all-time scoring record on April 5, 1984. Now that 38 (almost 39) year record is about to be broken by LeBron James.

https://www.nba.com/news/lebron-james-scoring-tracker

It could happen on February 7th, 9th, 11th, or 13th.
DNS
Site Admin

Re: What are you watching? Any good?

Post by DNS »

Only 36 more points to go for LeBron. Note: he already holds the all-time record for most points if you include playoffs. This is the all-time record for regular season games.

Most likely it will happen on February 9th when the LA Lakers play the Milwaukee Bucks (TNT channel in the U.S.). Although, it could also happen in the next game, Feb. 7th against OKC (also on TNT channel).

Here is the video from 1984 when Kareem Abdul-Jabbar broke the record:

I saw it live and was a Lakers fan at the time. I've remained a Lakers fan over the years and now it's another Laker (LeBron) about to break the almost 39 year record.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

DNS wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:21 am For NBA fans, history about to be made. I watched live when Kareem Abdul-Jabar surpassed Wilt Chamberlain's all-time scoring record on April 5, 1984. Now that 38 (almost 39) year record is about to be broken by LeBron James.
And . . . . he does it!

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Miorita

Post by Miorita »

DNS wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:24 am
DNS wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:21 am For NBA fans, history about to be made. I watched live when Kareem Abdul-Jabar surpassed Wilt Chamberlain's all-time scoring record on April 5, 1984. Now that 38 (almost 39) year record is about to be broken by LeBron James.
And . . . . he does it!

He did it on merit.
Congratulations! I have to adjust to a new reality.
Anyway, it ought not be hard since I'm drinking alkaline water since today.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Miorita wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:04 am He did it on merit.
Yes, the new reality is that Michael Jordan is no longer the basketball GOAT (greatest-of-all-time), in my opinion.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/s ... ba-history

LeBron is the record holder for most points all-time; regular season games and playoffs and combined. He also is #4 on the all-time assists stats and at or near the top on almost every other stat. Michael Jordan has way less assists (he's not even in the top 25 all-time list). I believe it was Scottie Pippen who complained that Jordan didn't pass the ball much.

So LeBron is the new GOAT, imo.
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

DNS wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:19 pm
I'll agree when he has two more rings. :tongue:

Virgo
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

DNS wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:19 pm So LeBron is the new GOAT, imo.
Michael Jordan is the GOAT of basketball.

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Yes, Michael Jordan has 6. But LeBron has 4 from three different teams. :tongue:

(Miami, Cleveland, Los Angeles)
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

DNS wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:58 pm Yes, Michael Jordan has 6. But LeBron has 4 from three different teams. :tongue:

(Miami, Cleveland, Los Angeles)
James is a terrific player, but Jordan is an emanation of the air element. :rolling:

Virgo
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

My favorite player ever is the professor:

Virgo
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

DNS wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:19 pm
Miorita wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:04 am He did it on merit.
Yes, the new reality is that Michael Jordan is no longer the basketball GOAT (greatest-of-all-time), in my opinion.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/s ... ba-history

LeBron is the record holder for most points all-time; regular season games and playoffs and combined. He also is #4 on the all-time assists stats and at or near the top on almost every other stat. Michael Jordan has way less assists (he's not even in the top 25 all-time list). I believe it was Scottie Pippen who complained that Jordan didn't pass the ball much.

I'm not sure you can do these sort of comparisons, to be honest. Different times, competitors, fitness regimes, team-mates, etc. Above a certain level it's largely hypothetical.

Despite that, I do think there is a good argument that it's LeBron and not Jordan, though. Imagine them both in their prime playing one-on-one.
reiun

Post by reiun »

But Kareem has more field goals as of now, 15,837 to ~14,053. Three pointers were only around for the last ten years of Kareem's career.
DNS
Site Admin

Re: NBA basketball GOAT

Post by DNS »

Okay, good, some other NBA fans here, so I moved this to its own topic.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

PeterC wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:36 am I'm not sure you can do these sort of comparisons, to be honest. Different times, competitors, fitness regimes, team-mates, etc. Above a certain level it's largely hypothetical.

Despite that, I do think there is a good argument that it's LeBron and not Jordan, though. Imagine them both in their prime playing one-on-one.
Yes, I agree if you mean you can't really basis it on just one statistic. The record holder for most points all-time is certainly one of the most important stats, but not the only one. LeBron is at or near the top on several basketball stats, but not for NBA titles. He has 4. But if we based it off of NBA titles only it would be Bill Russell, who has 11. But no one considers him to be the GOAT because he won his titles with the Celtics in the 1950s-1960s when most of that time there were only 8 or 9 teams in the NBA. Today there are 30 teams, so much harder to win multiple titles for a single team or player nowadays.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

reiun wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:14 am
But Kareem has more field goals as of now, 15,837 to ~14,053. Three pointers were only around for the last ten years of Kareem's career.
Yes, but mostly moot, since Kareem was never much of a long distance shooter. He was a center and most of his skyhook shots were from fairly close range.
reiun

Post by reiun »

DNS wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:51 am
reiun wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:14 am
Yes, but mostly moot, since Kareem was never much of a long distance shooter. He was a center and most of his skyhook shots were from fairly close range.
So far, LeBron has made 2,253 three pointers, resulting in that many more points over conventional fgs. Since the skyhook is shot perpendicular to the basket, it has its own particular degree of difficulty (especially if not in dunk range). Too bad its not seen much anymore, such a beautiful if challenging shot to master. Three pointers of course have changed the game.
ThreeVows

Post by ThreeVows »

I think in terms of general consensus, LeBron will not overtake Jordan as the #1 player of all time, but I do think you can make an argument and it could be a sort of 1A, 1B type of thing.

One thing about LeBron is that I think for a significant portion of his career, you could literally put him on any team in the league and they would immediately be at least a contender to make the Finals. I'm not sure that you can say that of anyone else, including Jordan, in the modern era of the NBA.

Jordan will be hard to surpass in terms of general consensus due to his 6-0 finals record, his killer instinct, and his amazing ability, but I do think he was somewhat fortunate in his situation and if he played today it's very unlikely he would go 6-0 in the Finals. Even so, if I were to be forced to do a ranking I'd probably put Jordan as 1A, LeBron as 1B at this point. Fortune is part of things, you might say - it's a bit like Tom Brady in the NFL. I think he's unquestionably the greatest QB in the history of the league given his full accomplishments and career, but had he had a different situation it may not have turned out that way.
“Whoever wants to find the wisdom beyond intellect without praying to his guru is like someone waiting for the sun to shine in a cave facing the north. He will never realize appearances and his mind to be one.”
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

ThreeVows wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:36 pm Jordan will be hard to surpass in terms of general consensus due to his 6-0 finals record, his killer instinct, and his amazing ability, but I do think he was somewhat fortunate in his situation and if he played today it's very unlikely he would go 6-0 in the Finals. Even so, if I were to be forced to do a ranking I'd probably put Jordan as 1A, LeBron as 1B at this point. Fortune is part of things, you might say - it's a bit like Tom Brady in the NFL. I think he's unquestionably the greatest QB in the history of the league given his full accomplishments and career, but had he had a different situation it may not have turned out that way.
Bill Russell was 11-1 in NBA finals series, much more than Jordan, but no one considers him to be the GOAT, just sayin' :tongue:

(As I mentioned previously, there were only about 8 or 9 teams in the NBA back then.)

I agree, for NFL, it's probably Tom Brady; no one comes close to the career stats he has and he also has the most Super Bowl rings than anyone else. He's like the Abdul-Jabbar of the NFL. It will be at least 38 years before his career stats start to fall.

In the NFL there are 24 starters (11 offense, 11 defense, plus kicker and punter), which means even if there is a phenomenal player, that team will unlikely win it all if the rest of the players are not that good. However, in basketball, where there are only 5 starters, a phenomenal player on one team can have a tremendous impact (like Jordan and LeBron).
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Young girl's (12 y.o.) reaction to LeBron sitting next to her at the basketball game (he's not playing due to ankle injury) goes viral.

Return to “Lounge”