Online Buddhist Sanskrit Course

Looking for translations, or for help with translations and transliterations? This is the place.
Zhen Li

Online Buddhist Sanskrit Course

Post by Zhen Li »

Hi Dharma friends,

I am thinking of hosting an online Buddhist Sanskrit course for beginners. I will offer such a course for free and in lieu of a fee, you can donate to your local Sangha.

I am not sure of the interest for such a course, so please just reply in this thread or PM me so I can get an idea of whether or not there will be any students.
Natan

Re: Online Buddhist Sanskrit Course

Post by Natan »

Zhen Li wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:30 pm Hi Dharma friends,

I am thinking of hosting an online Buddhist Sanskrit course for beginners. I will offer such a course for free and in lieu of a fee, you can donate to your local Sangha.

I am not sure of the interest for such a course, so please just reply in this thread or PM me so I can get an idea of whether or not there will be any students.
Excellent idea. Count me in.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

I would be interested. Excellent idea, thanks.
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Yes.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Zhen Li

Post by Zhen Li »

Great to hear there is some interest. I will wait a few more days and see who else is interested. When we have a decent number we can start to negotiate the days and times.
akuppa

Post by akuppa »

I am perhaps interested but I have already taken an introductory sanskrit course. Do you know how much material you intend to cover?
Zhen Li

Post by Zhen Li »

akuppa wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:40 am I am perhaps interested but I have already taken an introductory sanskrit course. Do you know how much material you intend to cover?
I plan to go through Dhammajoti's Reading Buddhist Sanskrit Texts. I have in mind that a second level would be an intensive reading of Buddhacarita, and then a third level would be going through Edgerton's Buddhist Hybrid Sanskrit Reader.
akuppa

Post by akuppa »

Zhen Li wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:11 pm I plan to go through Dhammajoti's Reading Buddhist Sanskrit Texts. I have in mind that a second level would be an intensive reading of Buddhacarita, and then a third level would be going through Edgerton's Buddhist Hybrid Sanskrit Reader.
Great, count me in.
Svalaksana

Post by Svalaksana »

Hey, this sounds quite interesting, I'd be willing to participate as well. My only concern is that I have rotating shifts and my schedule is sometimes altered shortly beforehand, therefore I worried to commit to it and then eventually not being able to attend on some of the dates. Let me know if that would make me an unsuitable candidate.
Looking but not seeing - that's my eye.
Thinking but not minding - that's my mind.
Speaking but not expressing - that's my tongue.
Traveling but not going - that's my path.
Zhen Li

Post by Zhen Li »

Svalaksana wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 2:34 am Hey, this sounds quite interesting, I'd be willing to participate as well. My only concern is that I have rotating shifts and my schedule is sometimes altered shortly beforehand, therefore I worried to commit to it and then eventually not being able to attend on some of the dates. Let me know if that would make me an unsuitable candidate.
I don't think that will matter. I will see if I can record each session, with the consent of the participants.

There are exercises for each week, which you can submit whenever you like and receive feedback.

We will go through the exercises in the following week's class, where we can discuss each passage. After the class, I will release the feedback and marks for each exercise.

This is a bit of a pilot project, but I am glad there is this much interest so far. I will set up a poll for scheduling something starting in the new year and send you each a link in PM.
Svalaksana

Post by Svalaksana »

Sounds great, count me in as well.
Looking but not seeing - that's my eye.
Thinking but not minding - that's my mind.
Speaking but not expressing - that's my tongue.
Traveling but not going - that's my path.
Dharma_Seeker

Post by Dharma_Seeker »

I am interested in learning Sanskrit as well. Is it possible to still join?
namomanjushriye

Post by namomanjushriye »

im interested.
Zhen Li

Post by Zhen Li »

Dharma_Seeker wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:26 am I am interested in learning Sanskrit as well. Is it possible to still join?
namomanjushriye wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:04 am im interested.
Yes, we are meeting Saturday nights 10-11 PM (GMT), 5-6 PM (EST). We are just finishing lesson 1 of Dhammajoti's textbook.

Please DM me for the classroom link if you are able to attend.
:namaste:
Zhen Li

Post by Zhen Li »

Hi everyone,

Just a quick update on this course. We're calling an end to the informal "semester."

So, if there are any people who are beginners and want to start again from scratch, let me know if you're interested, and if we begin again in a few months, I'll be sure to include you in the scheduling discussions.

Alternatively, if anyone is interested in starting at a more advanced level, we can certainly begin by reading sūtra or śāstra literature. So please indicate your preferred level.

Thanks!
puggily

Post by puggily »

I am interested.

Return to “Language”