Chundi Mantra in Tibetan Buddhism

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Chundi Mantra in Tibetan Buddhism

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Hi, I am looking at Shantideva's Shikshasamucaya and I see a mention of Chundi mantra in there with the various benefits. It makes me wonder whether Chundi Bodhisattva mantra is used in Tibetan Buddhist schools or if it was mostly preserved in Chinese mahayana schools. Is there a living transmission in any of the four schools?
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
humble.student

Re: Chundi Mantra in Tibetan Buddhism

Post by humble.student »

The transmission and practice is still extant among a number of schools; e.g. Nyingma, Jonang, and probably the others too. But it is not as common or well-known as it seems to be in Chinese Buddhism at any rate.

Miranda Shaw's book has a chapter on Cundi which has some details on the various related texts and sadhanas.
dawn of peace

Post by dawn of peace »

Könchok Thrinley wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:26 pm Hi, I am looking at Shantideva's Shikshasamucaya and I see a mention of Chundi mantra in there with the various benefits. It makes me wonder whether Chundi Bodhisattva mantra is used in Tibetan Buddhist schools or if it was mostly preserved in Chinese mahayana schools. Is there a living transmission in any of the four schools?
The Cundi long mantra, recited by the Dalai Lama:

The Cundi short mantra, recited by Khejok Rinpoche:

http://www.b-i-a.net/MP3/Track08.mp3

(skip to 0.16)
Last edited by dawn of peace on Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
genkaku.linrx

Post by genkaku.linrx »

dawn of peace wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:19 am
Könchok Thrinley wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:26 pm Hi, I am looking at Shantideva's Shikshasamucaya and I see a mention of Chundi mantra in there with the various benefits. It makes me wonder whether Chundi Bodhisattva mantra is used in Tibetan Buddhist schools or if it was mostly preserved in Chinese mahayana schools. Is there a living transmission in any of the four schools?
The Cundi long mantra, recited by the Dalai Lama:

The Cundi short mantra, recited by Khejok Rinpoche:

http://www.b-i-a.net/MP3/Track08.mp3

(skip to 0.16)
Thank you for sharing. I love Cundi Bodhisattva and am glad to see this. :heart:

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”