Synchronicity

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
rozoksmaslom

Synchronicity

Post by rozoksmaslom »

It seems to me the Universe is somehow 'alive' and interconnected, in a way, for instance, that I am talking to someone, or I am thinking about something and I immediately hear something from the TV or other media, or from another person even, what seems like a direct response to my thoughts. I know that may seem like, hey, it's just a coincidence and/or you're mind gives meaning and relations where there are none, or something like that.

Am I the only one notices these things?
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Re: Synchronicity

Post by Kim O'Hara »

No, you're not the only one to notice it - not by a long way. Some people interpret it magically or religiously, while others just say, as you did, that your mind gives meaning and relations where there are none.

If you look up 'synchronicity' online you should very quickly find Carl Jung's theory about it, which was influential for a long time.
The fashion these days is to say that our brains are hard-wired to extract meaning for our surroundings and sometimes go too far.

:namaste:
Kim
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

rozoksmaslom wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:22 pm It seems to me the Universe is somehow 'alive' and interconnected, in a way, for instance, that I am talking to someone, or I am thinking about something and I immediately hear something from the TV or other media, or from another person even, what seems like a direct response to my thoughts. I know that may seem like, hey, it's just a coincidence and/or you're mind gives meaning and relations where there are none, or something like that.

If you focus on looking for a certain color… think of it as a scavenger hunt… suppose you pick the color red, and you think, “look for things that are red”, and you go into a room with lots of different objects in it, everything that is the color red will seem to jump out at you.

It’s like that.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
master of puppets

Post by master of puppets »

I think by deepinning on the practice, you'll hear more of them.

🙏🏻
DharmaJunior

Post by DharmaJunior »

Yes, I get the impression that folks here are referring to Kaplans law of the hammer, so synchronicity comes to mean that everything looks like a nail, but what you might need is a cloth or some WD40. In other words the interconnected-ness can be applicable albeit incompatible. One or two of my close friends have weaponized their intelligence in this manner, so the filtering of information can sometimes be counter-productive when detecting bits and bobs. Instead of observing, it then becomes that because this.

Perhaps this is a result from cobbling together tidbits from >a-causal< or non-local effects observed during a wave function collapse in quantum physics, but I'm not touching that subject with a bargepole. :soapbox:
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

rozoksmaslom wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:22 pm It seems to me the Universe is somehow 'alive' and interconnected, in a way, for instance, that I am talking to someone, or I am thinking about something and I immediately hear something from the TV or other media, or from another person even, what seems like a direct response to my thoughts. I know that may seem like, hey, it's just a coincidence and/or you're mind gives meaning and relations where there are none, or something like that.

I believe, it's literally both:

The mind is interpreting subjectively and nevertheless the universe is completely interconnected. Often I cannot believe in coincidence which had no meaning at all, because I can learn so very much about life and relationships to people, when I interpret the signs and correlations.
rozoksmaslom

Post by rozoksmaslom »

So, just this exact moment I had this happen again. And this happens all the time:
So I decided to get up from the internet and thought to myself: should I go and ask that pretty waitress out?
What do I immediately see on Facebook? A post that says: "Stop calling me to the front of your mixup just to abuse me please and thanks."
Life is weird.
Last edited by rozoksmaslom on Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka »

rozoksmaslom wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:57 pm So, just this exact moment I had this happen again. And this happens all the time:
So I decided to get up from the internet and thought to myself: should I go and ask that pretty waitress out?
What do I immediately see on Facebook? A post that says: "Stop calling me to the front of your mixup just to abuse me please and thanks."
Life is weird.

That's not an actual synchronicity (I'm not saying that synchronicities don't exist; just that that isn't one of them). That looks to me like you reading a synchronicity that isn't there, into an situation due to low confidence and overthinking.

Now if that is a synchronicity of some sort, maybe it's telling you to sort yourself out more and become more stable before asking anyone out, like find your own happiness first; but the chances of seeing an post like that on Facebook after thinking about asking someone out, aren't that low really compared to other synchronicities.

I've personally had some 1 in 10 billion chance ones happen a few times; and I've just kind of started ignoring them when they happen
Last edited by Sādhaka on Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:23 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Miorita

Post by Miorita »

You look at the synchronicities in order to induce for the ground the idea of the existence of a Self to act as a portal for sentient beings.
You praise the synchronicities which is almost the same as praising the Self. Praising the Self does not help sentient beings per se.
The Self is a notion disconnected from the ground and it is not a construct or mesaggery service for sentient beings.
Beings receive nothing out of the blue.
The Self does not have powers and does not have the powers of accumulating independence from the ground to then disperse powers via merit.
rozoksmaslom

Post by rozoksmaslom »

Sādhaka wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:15 pm That's not an actual synchronicity (I'm not saying that synchronicities don't exist; just that that isn't one of them).
I didn't wanted to title the thread as "Do you notice/believe/acknowledge/trust in "signs" from life/universe?" because such titles make me cringe. Maybe "indications from life" would be a better way of describing it.. I don't know..
Either way, I don't think thinking about how rare or common such phenomenon is has anything to do with the usefulness/uselessness of such event/phenomenon.
I am a bit on the sensitive side and overthink things, and these things do feel wacky and weird (oooh the Universe is speaking to me) and I get annoyed by that wackiness, but a lot of times these things resonate/ring true somehow. And other times it's the comeplete opposite of what's true or right. So wtf, right?
Sādhaka wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:15 pm Now if that is a synchronicity of some sort, maybe it's telling you to sort yourself out more and become more stable before asking anyone out, like find your own happiness first;
Yes, that's kind of my state right now, but at the same time I feel like that's also acknowledging there is something wrong with the present moment.
And also, I feel like if I wait to approach women until I am stable and my life is sorted out/be happy, I'll be 60 and it's gonna be too late.
I don't know.

THEN, you have the teaching of The Buddha, who said "Don't seek happiness outside of yourself." He also pitied men who crave women and children. He advised to not hold anything and anyone dear to oneself, because it will eventually result in grief and fear.
I get where he's coming from, but also, I really don't want to spend all the time and eventually die alone. So yeah, there's that conflict too (in my mind ofc). Life is weird.
Last edited by rozoksmaslom on Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Phenomena are weird, sometimes they clump together in unusual ways. They are not objective things happening “out there” though, our experience of them comes from our own causes and conditions.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

The entire Tibetan Tully system is based on synchronicity. It’s useful up to a point. But one millimeter beyond that point and it’s complete bullsht. It’s hard to know exactly where that point is. That’s where wisdom steps in, hopefully.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

rozoksmaslom wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:52 pm
Sādhaka wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:15 pm That's not an actual synchronicity (I'm not saying that synchronicities don't exist; just that that isn't one of them).
I didn't wanted to title the thread as "Do you notice/believe/acknowledge/trust in "signs" from life/universe?" because such titles make me cringe. Maybe "indications from life" would be a better way of describing it.. I don't know..
James Kelleher teaches a very good course on omenology here: https://jameskelleher.com/collections/c ... e-of-omens (7 hour course). You might like it.

:anjali: Virgo
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

The swara yoga course is good too. :popcorn:

Virgo

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”