arrogance

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
mystic_poet

arrogance

Post by mystic_poet »

hi. i realised i have some kind of arrogance. i'm a creative and intelligent person, so this made me look to the world with arrogance. and, it also attracts the jealousy of people..

so, how can i overcome it? what should i do to be a part of the universe?
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Re: arrogance

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

mystic_poet wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:17 pm hi. i realised i have some kind of arrogance. i'm a creative and intelligent person, so this made me look to the world with arrogance. and, it also attracts the jealousy of people..

Turning Suffering and happiness into enlightenment- Dodrupchen Jigme Tenpe Nyima wrote: Using Suffering to Overcome Arrogance

As I explained before, [as long as we are in samsara] we are never independent or truly free or in control of our lives. On the contrary, we are always dependent on and at the mercy of suffering. So we must eliminate ‘the enemy that destroys anything that is wholesome and good’, which is arrogance and pride; and we must do away with the evil attitude of belittling others and considering them as inferior.
https://www.lotsawahouse.org/tibetan-ma ... -happiness

So the first step is maybe just realizing when we are being arrogant, and that others are caught in the same rapids that we are. We might have some relative advantages over them or vice versa, but neither of us have pulled ourselves out of this river.
Don’t you see what’s wrong with the world today? Oh Everybody wants somebody to be their own piece of clay.

-Marvin Gaye
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Post by Konchog Thogme Jampa »

mystic_poet wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:17 pm hi. i realised i have some kind of arrogance. i'm a creative and intelligent person, so this made me look to the world with arrogance. and, it also attracts the jealousy of people..

Mandala Offerings
4. From each and every dear companion we will part.
We will leave possessions for which we've strived so hard.
The body's guest house the guest, consciousness, will lose.
To renounce this life is what bodhisattvas do.

Om Mani Padme Hum

Some Classical Music I wrote:
https://geometriq.bandcamp.com/track/ ... ite-part-1

དཀོན་མཆོག་ཐོགས་མེད་འབྱམས་པ

Konchog Thogme Jampa
DharmaJunior

Post by DharmaJunior »

This topic has inspired me to share a personal story. There was something that I got really good at, better than most people good at it, but at the time there was jealousy and disrespect there stemming from insecurity and arrogance. I had something to prove, even when I was living the dream. Then I lost it all, due to constant over-reach rather than taking a more healthy middle way.

Anyway, not sure if this helps, maybe I'm already making it more about me than what you're experiencing, but what I did what stop telling people or advertising or showing off. No-one asks, no-one knows; no more winning and losing even after it was all in vain turning to piss and vinegar.

Another thing is that there's a fine line between confidence and arrogance. Everyone has to make a punt at some point. That's mostly the only time I feel a need to say anything, sometimes just enough to make an assessment but willing to listen and take regard for other points of view. By that I mean a lot of people with this problem don't want to learn, because they've already got there in there own mind. So perhaps always start from scratch with a beginners mind whether expert or not. *(and not to interrupt enemy :quoteunquote: when mistakes are made)

sigh
mystic_poet

Post by mystic_poet »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:29 pm

Turning Suffering and happiness into enlightenment- Dodrupchen Jigme Tenpe Nyima wrote:

Using Suffering to Overcome Arrogance

As I explained before, [as long as we are in samsara] we are never independent or truly free or in control of our lives. On the contrary, we are always dependent on and at the mercy of suffering. So we must eliminate ‘the enemy that destroys anything that is wholesome and good’, which is arrogance and pride; and we must do away with the evil attitude of belittling others and considering them as inferior.
https://www.lotsawahouse.org/tibetan-ma ... -happiness

So the first step is maybe just realizing when we are being arrogant, and that others are caught in the same rapids that we are. We might have some relative advantages over them or vice versa, but neither of us have pulled ourselves out of this river.
thanks for the link. the website looks great and helpful...
Last edited by mystic_poet on Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mystic_poet

Post by mystic_poet »

Konchog Thogme Jampa wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:05 pm

Mandala Offerings
thank you.. i will research mandala offerings.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

I just remembered another book that really made me confront my own attitudes towards others was Knowledge of Freedom by Tarthang Tulku.

It’s a decent sized book and he says a lot but what I remember of the bits on arrogance/pride was like this:

It’s easy to develop a very rigid and critical attitude, we might even get so good at being critical that we gain a reputation for incisive critiques in this or that area, sometimes that’s good. The danger is that eventually the rigidness can become self-reinforcing and we become more and more disappointed in the world, people, situations, etc.

So it’s not like we shouldn’t be critical, but if we let it become a whole worldview it really is a kind of prison we build around ourselves.

Samsara is imperfect by definition, we can examine It and fine endless flaws if we try. Sometimes that’s helpful to develop renunciation, to understand how we are trapped, etc.

When we turn the critical mindset too much on others though, it just magnifies their flaws to a degree that we start neglecting our own, and pretty soon most of our interactions with others are based around our criticisms of them, effectively walling us off from seeing the possibility relationships, etc. might hold, as well as others potential.

Unfortunately, it’s s state I am pretty familiar with.
Don’t you see what’s wrong with the world today? Oh Everybody wants somebody to be their own piece of clay.

-Marvin Gaye
DharmaJunior

Post by DharmaJunior »

Yes, we create those walls to protect ourselves, but we should not rely upon them because they will stop us from any development. I suppose this is akin to a bookmark. IE you have confidence where you are, and cannot yet anticipate the next step.
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Going out and about naked a few times
would probably do the trick.
:rolling:
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook develops outward insight.
Archie2009

Post by Archie2009 »

PadmaVonSamba wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:07 am

Going out and about naked a few times
would probably do the trick.
:rolling:
That could attract the jealousy of people, e.g. being hung.
DharmaJunior

Post by DharmaJunior »

so the crucible of arrogance is to avoid airing your dirty laundry. nothing clean, right> again, sigh.. albeit mildy amusing.
Last edited by DharmaJunior on Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Post by Konchog Thogme Jampa »

mystic_poet wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:54 pm
Konchog Thogme Jampa wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:05 pm

Mandala Offerings
thank you.. i will research mandala offerings.
Best thing for that teacher and ngondro if you don't have already if thats something you want
4. From each and every dear companion we will part.
We will leave possessions for which we've strived so hard.
The body's guest house the guest, consciousness, will lose.
To renounce this life is what bodhisattvas do.

Om Mani Padme Hum

Some Classical Music I wrote:
https://geometriq.bandcamp.com/track/ ... ite-part-1

དཀོན་མཆོག་ཐོགས་མེད་འབྱམས་པ

Konchog Thogme Jampa
Kai lord

Post by Kai lord »

Doing daily prostrations in front of the refuge tree, in my opinions, remains one of the best ways to reduce conceit.

Another indirect way is try practicing shamatha meditation, when you discover how hard it is to develop one pointness fully and how long its going to take you. Its going to humble you.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”