Obstacle removing retreat

Konchog Thogme Jampa

Obstacle removing retreat

Post by Konchog Thogme Jampa »

I am strongly connected to a wrathful yidam which I'll keep secret.

I've practiced it a lot so I decided to make it one of my main practices for a while.

I reached the limit of my capacity to practice it as so many difficulties were arising inner and outer.

I had a bad fall taking the recycling out minor ankle sprain and badly cut knee, I had a painful mouth ulcer that kept me awake, I had to have a wisdom tooth removed. Then had an outbreak of mould in my practice place which was my fault due to poor ventilation.

In the inner mind I reached my limit so stopped and changed things. All the while I was practicing Trekcho alongside.

So I wondered has anyone had similar experience with obstacle removing practices?

To add I've got a few teachers maybe I can ask them, but I've got a lot of retreat experience and had lots of advice teaching in the past.
Soma999

Re: Obstacle removing retreat

Post by Soma999 »

I read a testimony of someone who did Yamantaka retreat with the fpmt. Many obstacles of all sort arose. It was very hard. By persevering, a deep karma was burned.

In different sutras, the diamond sutra and sangatha sutra for exemple, it is said the negative actions commited in former times can arise as different problems, bad dreams… and theough that the karma is burned. Instead of having to experience bad realms after death, they live those sufferings instead and are in fact liberating themselves.

Also, wrathful deity should be practiced with proper understanding, and pure compassion. They are not angry but full of compassion, and the enemies are none other than the three poisons.

The intention behind our practice if of utmost importance. « I will perform the practice for the welfare of all, for the protection of those to be protected and the liberation of the three poisons ». The more wrathful is the deity, the more crucial boddicitta is needed.

If it is too strong, maybe take some pause, do more peaceful sadhana, perform good actions, read sutras, listen to how you feel.

A strong retreat should be supervised by a good lama, in my opinion.
Konchog Thogme Jampa

:good:

Yes altruism is the most important thing and the nature of those deities is profound compassion
Soma999 wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:56 pm I read a testimony of someone who did Yamantaka retreat with the fpmt. Many obstacles of all sort arose. It was very hard. By persevering, a deep karma was burned.

In different sutras, the diamond sutra and sangatha sutra for exemple, it is said the negative actions commited in former times can arise as different problems, bad dreams… and theough that the karma is burned. Instead of having to experience bad realms after death, they live those sufferings instead and are in fact liberating themselves.

Also, wrathful deity should be practiced with proper understanding, and pure compassion. They are not angry but full of compassion, and the enemies are none other than the three poisons.

The intention behind our practice if of utmost importance. « I will perform the practice for the welfare of all, for the protection of those to be protected and the liberation of the three poisons ». The more wrathful is the deity, the more crucial boddicitta is needed.

If it is too strong, maybe take some pause, do more peaceful sadhana, perform good actions, read sutras, listen to how you feel.

A strong retreat should be supervised by a good lama, in my opinion.
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

Konchog Thogme Jampa wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:05 pm I am strongly connected to a wrathful yidam which I'll keep secret.

I've practiced it a lot so I decided to make it one of my main practices for a while.

I reached the limit of my capacity to practice it as so many difficulties were arising inner and outer.

I had a bad fall taking the recycling out minor ankle sprain and badly cut knee, I had a painful mouth ulcer that kept me awake, I had to have a wisdom tooth removed. Then had an outbreak of mould in my practice place which was my fault due to poor ventilation.

In the inner mind I reached my limit so stopped and changed things. All the while I was practicing Trekcho alongside.

So I wondered has anyone had similar experience with obstacle removing practices?

To add I've got a few teachers maybe I can ask them, but I've got a lot of retreat experience and had lots of advice teaching in the past.
I would bet is DD, lol. Anyway, it will happen until you give up what you think being practitioner is.
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Konchog Thogme Jampa wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:05 pm I am strongly connected to a wrathful yidam which I'll keep secret.

The main thing is to ask your teachers for advice.

One of my main lamas did have a retreat that was in effect an obstacle removing retreat (in fact much of what he did was for obstacle removing). I won't go into details but this was effective for the participants. However, later, in following years, other obstacles arose.

Obstacles will always arise. Some can be cleared and some can't (this is supported by both sutric and tantric sources). It depends and we can't always tell. BTW - this is a major topic for Mo divination. The very act of clearing obstacles can cause other obstacles to arise because other karma may be ripened (sort of like switching railroad tracks) but this also happens because we continue to create negativity, both gross and subtle. If we only get down to creating subtle negativity or better then we have "succeeded".
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

kirtu wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:23 pm

The main thing is to ask your teachers for advice.

One of my main lamas did have a retreat that was in effect an obstacle removing retreat (in fact much of what he did was for obstacle removing). I won't go into details but this was effective for the participants. However, later, in following years, other obstacles arose.

Obstacles will always arise. Some can be cleared and some can't (this is supported by both sutric and tantric sources). It depends and we can't always tell. BTW - this is a major topic for Mo divination. The very act of clearing obstacles can cause other obstacles to arise because other karma may be ripened (sort of like switching railroad tracks) but this also happens because we continue to create negativity, both gross and subtle. If we only get down to creating subtle negativity or better then we have "succeeded".
true, ime.
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
Tata1

Post by Tata1 »

Its.important to remember that samsara is suffering. In other words shit happens
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Thanks everyone nice responses I’m practicing something White now so my life is simplifying somewhat

Have a nice new year

Return to “Nyingma”