Using Malas (Prayer Beads) in Public

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
ohwedodzogchennow

Using Malas (Prayer Beads) in Public

Post by ohwedodzogchennow »

I have understood that the Vajrayana teachings categorically ask for practitioners to keep their main malas hidden so that no one else sees them, especially if the mala is used for formal sadhanas and accomplishing yidams.

What kind of teachings exist about wrist sized malas that one could visibly use while walking outdoors and reciting Mani, Tara, or Vajra Guru mantras? I guess it could depend if the mantras are Sutra based and whether they have lung or not. When would it be permissible at all to consecrate such public malas or to empower them with the typical merit multiplying mantras?
Terma

Re: Using Malas (Prayer Beads) in Public

Post by Terma »

ohwedodzogchennow wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:55 pm I have understood that the Vajrayana teachings categorically ask for practitioners to keep their main malas hidden so that no one else sees them, especially if the mala is used for formal sadhanas and accomplishing yidams.

What kind of teachings exist about wrist sized malas that one could visibly use while walking outdoors and reciting Mani, Tara, or Vajra Guru mantras? I guess it could depend if the mantras are Sutra based and whether they have lung or not. When would it be permissible at all to consecrate such public malas or to empower them with the typical merit multiplying mantras?
From the advice I've been given, keep one mala specifically for sadhana and retreat (preferably a blessed and good quality one). No one should see this one. Then you can have other mala's for other purpose, ie., for public and so forth.
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Since death may come at any time, I hope you get this figured out soon.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
Lingpupa

Post by Lingpupa »

I have two. One is multi-blessed and stays by my shrine. The other is a knockabout mala, often in my hand when I'm out on the street.
All best wishes

"The profundity of your devotion to your lama is not measured by your ability to turn a blind eye."
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Lingpupa wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:42 am I have two. One is multi-blessed and stays by my shrine. The other is a knockabout mala, often in my hand when I'm out on the street.
I have one that I use for routine practice.
The other is a horcrux.
:rolling:
EMPTIFUL.
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

I think public means in collective practices, not walking around, etc. I don't know really if this is correct.
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

jet.urgyen wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:39 pm I think public means in collective practices, not walking around, etc. I don't know really if this is correct.
Well, the OP asks about “walking around in public” but you bring up a good point. Is there a difference, walking around the block reciting mantras on a mala, compared with group practice at a dharma center?
EMPTIFUL.
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

ohwedodzogchennow wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:55 pm I have understood that the Vajrayana teachings categorically ask for practitioners to keep their main malas hidden so that no one else sees them, especially if the mala is used for formal sadhanas and accomplishing yidams.
I am pretty sure that the point to this mostly has to do with cultivating one’s attitude or perspective towards their own practice.
In practical terms, it has to do with not drawing attention to yourself. But counting mantras on a mala while riding a NYC subway would have a different appearance than doing so on a subway in Taiwan, or while circumambulating a giant stupa in Kathmandu.
EMPTIFUL.
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

PadmaVonSamba wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:39 pm
jet.urgyen wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:39 pm I think public means in collective practices, not walking around, etc. I don't know really if this is correct.
Well, the OP asks about “walking around in public” but you bring up a good point. Is there a difference, walking around the block reciting mantras on a mala, compared with group practice at a dharma center?
well, yeah, normally "people on the block" aren't practitioners.

also, ChNN always advised not be weird, "don't be strange" he said. I think it's not a rule but I found it to be useful, because people do make questions out of curiosity, and then tend to catalog buddhists as weirdos, and even reject buddhism because of that, so we see is not good.

If people see that one is a normal person and a buddhist, they will correctly understand that buddhism is not an external thing really.

also, for example, when I was at high school i was a extremely peaceful youngster, and some individuals caused me lot of trouble just because of that. I imagine going around with a mala would made the situation worse. fyi, today i'm not always peaceful :smile:.

in the other hand, vajrayana stuff should be kept quiet, no?
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

jet.urgyen wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:25 pm vajrayana stuff should be kept quiet, no?
For individuals, yeah, pretty much.
It’s not that it needs to be kept from those who are interested. After all, most Vajrayana centers are open to the public, at least to some degree. It’s not like ‘fight club’ or a secret society.
😄
As you say, people get the wrong impression. To me, that’s the practitioner being careless, and if you know chanting with a mala or whatever in public will be misunderstood, it’s almost to the point of lying.
EMPTIFUL.
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

PadmaVonSamba wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:45 pm
jet.urgyen wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:25 pm vajrayana stuff should be kept quiet, no?
For individuals, yeah, pretty much.
It’s not that it needs to be kept from those who are interested. After all, most Vajrayana centers are open to the public, at least to some degree. It’s not like ‘fight club’ or a secret society.
😄
As you say, people get the wrong impression. To me, that’s the practitioner being careless, and if you know chanting with a mala or whatever in public will be misunderstood, it’s almost to the point of lying.
oh, yeah, true.
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”