Rev. Cirlea's books - good or not?

KiwiNFLFan

Rev. Cirlea's books - good or not?

Post by KiwiNFLFan »

I know Rev. Adrian Cirlea has started his own breakaway Jodo Shinshu group and has split from Hongwanji-ha. I personally do not agree with his political views. However, he has written a lot of books in English on Jodo Shinshu, and they are available for free on his website.

Have any of you read any of his books? If so, is what he is teaching in line with Hongwanji and are there any deviances from orthodox Shin teaching that one should be aware of?

I'd like to read his books but I also want to learn what the Hongwanji teaches and not just one guy's own view of Shinran Shōnin's teachings.
Malcolm

Re: Rev. Cirlea's books - good or not?

Post by Malcolm »

KiwiNFLFan wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:42 am I know Rev. Adrian Cirlea has started his own breakaway Jodo Shinshu group and has split from Hongwanji-ha. I personally do not agree with his political views. However, he has written a lot of books in English on Jodo Shinshu, and they are available for free on his website.

Have any of you read any of his books? If so, is what he is teaching in line with Hongwanji and are there any deviances from orthodox Shin teaching that one should be aware of?

I'd like to read his books but I also want to learn what the Hongwanji teaches and not just one guy's own view of Shinran Shōnin's teachings.
He’s a fascist nut job. Avoid.
Vases, canvas, bucklers, armies, forests, garlands, trees
houses, chariots, hostelries, and all such things
that common people designate dependent on their parts,
accept as such. For Buddha did not quarrel with the world!

—— Candrakīrti. MAV 6:166
KiwiNFLFan

Post by KiwiNFLFan »

Malcolm wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:32 am He’s a fascist nut job. Avoid.
Yeah, I've heard things about him, so that's why I was asking. I heard he is opposed to LGBT+ relationships, and I heard he is anti-lockdown too.

But do his personal beliefs show up in his books on the Dharma?
Zhen Li

Post by Zhen Li »

KiwiNFLFan wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:04 am But do his personal beliefs show up in his books on the Dharma?
Firstly, I am not a student of his. I am a member of a Hongwanji-ha temple. But I seek out and read everything on Shin Buddhism, much of which I find disagree with based on my readings of the sūtras and Shin patriarchs. As for Cirlea's books, except for his autobiography which brings in political views, they are in line with an orthodox Hongwanji-ha perspective. The deviance is in his conduct and communication style which made him unwelcome in the Shin sangha since he made everything a confrontational debate.
Shaku Shingan (釈心願)
Shingan's Portal

Return to “Jodo Shin Shu”