Baron Ungern von Sternberg

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Dharmaraja

Baron Ungern von Sternberg

Post by Dharmaraja »

Hi, tashi delek,
someone knows the story of the Baron Ungern von Sternberg.

A russian general from german-baltic origins, who converted to Vajrayana and lived between mongols, with some mesianic views like create a "Buddha Empire": in An united Mongolia-Tibet country that will stop Soviet revolution and then attack 'liberal Europe' and conquer the whole Eurasia under the Vajrana religion.

Although today we cannot know what is lie or truth. The soviets portrayed him like a total mass murder, a religious fanatic, the buddhists from mongolias portrayed him as the savior of Dharma.

He restored Bogh Khan and expelled the chinease from Mongolia, captured Urga (Today Ulan Bataar) and proclaimed himself the reborn of Genghis Khan and a Maha Kala.

He kept contact with the 13th Dalai Lama.

When he died shot by the soviets, the Lamas asked to do "puja" for his soul.
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Re: Baron Ungern von Sternberg

Post by Kim O'Hara »

An interesting historical figure but not someone I can admire in any way.
For anyone who wants the short version: He came from an aristocratic German family and moved steadily to the East, ending as an anti-communist warlord around Manchuria during the Russian revolution. He was not a nice man, to put it mildly. More at wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_von ... -Sternberg

:coffee:
Kim
Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka »

Very interesting.

How might this tie into Tataria or Tartaria (Tatary, Tartary, etc.), known as the 'Clan' of Hor in Tibetan (the Yungdrung Bön Master Shardza Tashi Gyaltsen was also said to be from Hor)?

(Also, I haven't watched the videos yet; however I look forward to it).
Last edited by Sādhaka on Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kai lord

Post by Kai lord »

Dharmaraja wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:13 pm A russian general from german-baltic origins, who converted to Vajrayana and lived between mongols, with some messianic views like create a "Buddha Empire": in An united Mongolia-Tibet country that will stop Soviet revolution and then attack 'liberal Europe' and conquer the whole Eurasia under the Vajrayana religion.

He restored Bogh Khan and expelled the chinease from Mongolia, captured Urga (Today Ulan Bataar) and proclaimed himself the reborn of Genghis Khan and a Maha Kala.
Ok he is really mad. :lol:

Fortunately he didn't succeed.
Life is like a game, either you win or lose!
Life is like a fight, either you live or die!
Life is like a show, either you laugh or cry!
Life is like a dream, either you know or not!!!
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Wasn't he just another usual schmuck? A warlord whose profession was killing?

[Mod note: I don't agree to having this topic in the subforum Dharma Stories.

Topic moved to the Lounge.]
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Sādhaka wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:36 pm Very interesting.

How might this tie into Tataria or Tartaria (Tatary, Tartary, etc.), known as the 'Clan' of Hor in Tibetan (the Yungdrung Bön Master Shardza Tashi Gyaltsen was also said to be from Hor)?

(Also, I haven't watched the videos yet; however I look forward to it).
“Tartary” is a European cartographical designation which covered, depending on whose map it was, a huge area of Central Asia and northeast Eurasia. I don’t think it can be associated with a Tibetan clan

The baron was a crazy, sadistic and probably insane warlord. I don’t think there’s a lot of historical disagreement on that
Knotty Veneer

Post by Knotty Veneer »

I'd say a fair candidate for Ole Nydahl's previous incarnation.
This is not the wrong life.
Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka »

Knotty Veneer wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:07 pm I'd say a fair candidate for Ole Nydahl's previous incarnation.

Even though I may have 'fascist' tendencies, allegedly; I don't give much credence to that^ dude.

In any case, Make Tataria Great Again :tongue:

More on that later though; and also in response to PeterC....
Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith »

Must ... must .... must ... read ... about ... about ... Baron ... Baron ... ! Aargh! :mrgreen:
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Agent Smith wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:53 am Must ... must .... must ... read ... about ... about ... Baron ... Baron ... ! Aargh! :mrgreen:
:smile:
I have a pet theory that the Baron was the model for the prior host of the demon called 'Eater of Souls' in Charles Stross's Atrocity Files series.
Anyone who knows the series can feel free to agree or not.
Anyone who doesn't (but likes anarchic fantasy) should run, not walk to their nearest bookshop or library. Computational demonology? Check. Elder Gods? Check. And a *free* Le Carre spoof!

Kim
Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith »

Kim O'Hara wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:02 am
Agent Smith wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:53 am Must ... must .... must ... read ... about ... about ... Baron ... Baron ... ! Aargh! :mrgreen:
I have a pet theory that the Baron was the model for the prior host of the demon called 'Eater of Souls' in Charles Stross's Atrocity Files series.
Anyone who doesn't (but likes anarchic fantasy) should run, not walk to their nearest bookshop or library. Computational demonology? Check. Elder Gods? Check. And a *free* Le Carre spoof!

Kim
:applause:

I have no idea why you brought up demonology, but since you did, I'd say our forebears weren't exactly challenged, intellectually that is. That said, grief, anger, hate, seem inevitable and that's not such a good thing I'm told.
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Agent Smith wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:11 am
Kim O'Hara wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:02 am

Kim
:applause:

I have no idea why you brought up demonology, but since you did, I'd say our forebears weren't exactly challenged, intellectually that is. That said, grief, anger, hate, seem inevitable and that's not such a good thing I'm told.
I brought up demonology solely because it's a feature of the books this topic reminded me about, and I mentioned the books because they were such good fun that I would like more people to know about them.
That's all.

Go back to von Sternberg if you like, but, really, I can't see much point. Might as well study Stalin or Pol Pot.

Kim
tingdzin

Post by tingdzin »

Yeah, a miserable man, and it is not to excuse him in any way to point out that the Soviets who executed him probably murdered more Mongols than he did.
Dharmaraja

Post by Dharmaraja »

A recent video about this topic:

Return to “Lounge”