Physical exercises like pushups

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Jokingfish

Physical exercises like pushups

Post by Jokingfish »

Are they good for you Buddhism wise (especially interested if Gautama said anything about this)? What about running, swimming, training to fight, gymnastics, yoga?

Ive read that Gautama saw physical exercises to be beneficial, but read elsewhere that its hard for monks to exercise so they don't look too muscular.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Re: Physical exercises like pushups

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Jokingfish wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:42 pm Are they good for you Buddhism wise (especially interested if Gautama said anything about this)? What about running, swimming, training to fight, gymnastics, yoga?

Ive read that Gautama saw physical exercises to be beneficial, but read elsewhere that its hard for monks to exercise so they don't look too muscular.
You don’t need Buddha’s permission to exercise. Obviously taking decent care of your physical form is not a bad idea. No, there are no specific instructions on doing push ups.

Generally it’s good to have a healthy body without being too attached, as one day it won’t be healthy.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

Honen says to care for your body in such a way that it supports your religious practice. It shouldn't become a reason to try to enjoy the Six Realms more.

Exercising presents some interesting opportunities. You can overcome aversion with physical discomfort, which can prepare you for old age and disease. You can avoid some health problems that would otherwise distract you. You can develop a long-term goal. It's rhythmic so you can chant mantras or prayers to the motions. Your body is involved so you can visualize performing beneficial activities, like pushups being a form of bowing or pushing away the Three Poisons, or lifting a weight to be pulling beings out of samsara again and again.
I try to recite nembutsu evenly and calmly when doing a plank, to get used to reciting under physical duress.

Prostrations alone are great exercise if you're careful :smile: There's a practice in Chinese Buddhism where you bow 88 times to the 88 Buddhas of Great Repentance.
Namu Amida Butsu
reiun

Post by reiun »

Jokingfish wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:42 pm Are they good for you Buddhism wise (especially interested if Gautama said anything about this)? What about running, swimming, training to fight, gymnastics, yoga?

I swim, cycle and lift weights. The latter is not considered good exercise for practice (although otherwise healthy). I swim laps in a large pool. I often count breaths if my goggles fog so I can better guess where the approaching wall is, but for me at least it is not suitable for susokukan due to focus on freestyle form. As with cycling and lifting, it is good for the lungs.

If you consider archery a sport, than that might qualify. You can read the Eugene Herrigel book for perspective. Exercise would involve developing strength and breath control drawing and aiming. (Always loved the quote from that book, where the master archer tells the student (from imperfect memory), "You think because you do not do it, it does not happen.")

Other martial arts are a possibility. zen ken sho means Zen, sword, brush as described in Meido Moore's first book, so kendo. I use a Bo staff which I find develops one-pointedness.
Last edited by reiun on Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

I’ve been doing martial arts most of my life, funnily enough it’s where I first learned about Buddhism, as we always had a picture of Bodhidharma and it piqued my curiousity.

It’s a weird subject because there are aspects of martial arts and sport that can be at odds with Dharma, but it’s been overwhelmingly helpful in my life, including keeping me healthy as I age.

I regularly get told I look much younger than I am (and it’s true I think), I attribute most of that to martial arts training as I am otherwise pretty lazy and don’t care about team sports at all.

It’s good to take care of oneself, ime it only happens if it’s something you like, and you figure that out by trying different stuff.

In terms of basic exercises:

Push-ups + variations
Planks
Squats + variations
Lunges + variations
Dead bugs or other abs exercise

I keep it simple and do mostly body weight exercise.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Not moving the body is unhealthy for body and mind.
reiun

Post by reiun »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:39 pm I regularly get told I look much younger than I am (and it’s true I think)
What a coincidence: me too!
Johnny Dangerous wrote: It’s good to take care of oneself, ime it only happens if it’s something you like, and you figure that out by trying different stuff.

In terms of basic exercises:

Push-ups + variations
Planks
Squats + variations
Lunges + variations
Dead bugs or other abs exercise

I keep it simple and do mostly body weight exercise.
One way to do a squat is: face a wall close distance, chair just behind; hands in gassho; descend and lightly touch seat, then up. Coordinate breath.

Squats are the ultimate exercise.
KeithA

Post by KeithA »

108 Bows is excellent physical and spiritual practice. My body is a bit of a mess, so I am working my way back up to 108. Currently at 63 a day. Goal is to do 108 bows per day, and be in sub 30 minute 5k shape at all times. This is a very modest goal, and quite doable.
When walking, standing, sitting, lying down, speaking,
being silent, moving, being still.
At all times, in all places, without interruption - what is this?
One mind is infinite kalpas.

New Haven Zen Center
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Yeah, don’t tell those guys at Shaolin.

How about 100,000 bows or full prostrations?
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.

Return to “Lounge”