Thich Nhat Hanh Commentary on the Vimalakirti and Ugrapariprccha Sutras

Discuss and learn about the traditional Mahayana scriptures, without assuming that any one school ‘owns’ the only correct interpretation.
Nicholas2727

Thich Nhat Hanh Commentary on the Vimalakirti and Ugrapariprccha Sutras

Post by Nicholas2727 »

New text coming out from Thich Nhat Hanh focused on two Mahayana Sutras. Release date is 11/29

Leo Rivers

Re: Thich Nhat Hanh Commentary on the Vimalakirti and Ugrapariprccha Sutras

Post by Leo Rivers »

I would be interested if Thich Nhat Hanh provides his take on Prof. Jan Nattier's translation and analysis.

See:
Jan Nattier PhD
A Few Good Men: The Bodhisattva Path according to The Inquiry of Ugra (Ugraparipṛcchā) (Studies in the Buddhist Traditions)

Note: I recall reading someplace that Thich Nhat Hanh suggested altering The Three Doors of Liberation
Shunyata; emptiness
Animittata; signlessness
Apranihitata; wishlessness

to

Nirvāṇa, nirvana
Animittata; signlessness
Apranihitata; wishlessness

Is this the case? This is something I can not accept. But I am no scholar or serious meditator. :roll:
curtstein

Re: Thich Nhat Hanh Commentary on the Vimalakirti and Ugrapariprccha Sutras

Post by curtstein »

I am still just getting into both of these books (Thich Nhat Hanh's and Nattier's) but from the way in which the books are promoted they appear to have diametrically opposed interpretations of the Ugrapariprccha Sutra.

Nattier's take is that the Ugrapariprccha propounds a very elitist approach to the Bodhisattva Path, limiting it, as the title states plainly, to "A Few Good Men".

Thich Nhat Hanh argues that the Ugrapariprcccha was intended to counter an elitist attitude among monastics and to promote a more "popular" approach that was in particular more inclusive of lay people!
"there's no one here. there's only you and me." leonard cohen
https://www.mindisbuddha.org/

Return to “Sūtra Studies”