Aquamation - Any Views on This?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Tenma

Aquamation - Any Views on This?

Post by Tenma »

Out of curiosity, what would be a Tibetan Buddhist perspective regarding aquamation? Would it be just as acceptable as cremation?
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
PadmaVonSamba

Re: Aquamation - Any Views on This?

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Tenma wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:18 pm Out of curiosity, what would be a Tibetan Buddhist perspective regarding aquamation? Would it be just as acceptable as cremation?
probably right up there with ‘sky burial’
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

There are traditional burials representing the body going back to different elements according to some sources I’ve read. I imagine this is not unknown.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
KeithA

Post by KeithA »

Tenma wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:18 pm

Out of curiosity, what would be a Tibetan Buddhist perspective regarding aquamation? Would it be just as acceptable as cremation?
During the height of Covid, I was a sexton for some Catholic cemeteries. Interesting and important work. They were not fans of this at all, but they had souls and mortal remains to be concerned with. It's basically dissolving a body (there are some remains). and then flushing it down the drain. Cremation was a big leap for them, this was too much.

Anyway, my non-Tibetan viewpoint is that it is a useful, and frankly lower energy, way to dispose of the form.

_/|\_
When walking, standing, sitting, lying down, speaking,
being silent, moving, being still.
At all times, in all places, without interruption - what is this?
One mind is infinite kalpas.

New Haven Zen Center
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:14 am There are traditional burials representing the body going back to different elements according to some sources I’ve read. I imagine this is not unknown.
If a lama were to take up aquamation, would the request be to preserve both the bones and the used fluids (rather than disposing of the liquid latter), thereby having relics of the water element?
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Tenma wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:52 am
Johnny Dangerous wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:14 am There are traditional burials representing the body going back to different elements according to some sources I’ve read. I imagine this is not unknown.
If a lama were to take up aquamation, would the request be to preserve both the bones and the used fluids (rather than disposing of the liquid latter), thereby having relics of the water element?

No idea, but IME nobody really worries about relics for “normal” people.

I don’t know enough to say, I just know I’ve seen it said a couple of places where the body can be returned also to water, etc.

I’m sure someone else knows a lot more about this.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”