Enlightenment...

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

Enlightenment...

Post by A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha »

Would an Enlightened being be able to eat rotten maggot infested "food" as if it was something delicious ?

:namaste:
PadmaVonSamba

Re: Enlightenment...

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:58 am Would an Enlightened being be able to eat rotten maggot infested "food" as if it was something delicious ?
The Buddha Sakyamuni is said to have died from eating what has been translated roughly as “pig delight”, a term which has been debated to mean either some kind of dish made from truffles or other mushroom which wild pigs find delightful (but which may have accidentally contained poisonous mushrooms), or a dish made from pork itself, but which was undercooked or spoiled or whatever. In any case, food poisoning.

We can assume that, being the Buddha, he was fully aware of what he was eating, and accepted it as an offering. Whether he enjoyed the flavor or not is kind of beside the point, as monks are not supposed to be attached to the sensory quality of thd food offered to them (they aren’t supposed to be too concerned with whether they like it or not).
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
Kai lord

Post by Kai lord »

A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:58 am Would an Enlightened being be able to eat rotten maggot infested "food" as if it was something delicious ?
In the scriptures, Only highly accomplished yogis like the mahasiddhas are allowed to perform the conduct as part of their training.

Since most of us will not reach that level within this life before bardo, this cannot be verified.
Life is like a game, either you win or lose!
Life is like a fight, either you live or die!
Life is like a show, either you laugh or cry!
Life is like a dream, either you know or not!!!
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:58 am as if it was something delicious?
They invented something called acting. For the right amount of money, I'll show you I love to eat rotten food with maggots. Hopefully, you will be gone before I find out I can't keep it down.

I think it was in the Surangama Sutra that there was a reference to people drinking urine and eating feces like it was normal food and drink. It was a sign of demonic possession and such abilities go away when the possession stops. It was in the chapter at the end with the signs that are mistaken for accomplishment.
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

PadmaVonSamba wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:28 am
The Buddha Sakyamuni is said to have died from eating what has been translated roughly as “pig delight”, a term which has been debated to mean either some kind of dish made from truffles or other mushroom which wild pigs find delightful (but which may have accidentally contained poisonous mushrooms), or a dish made from pork itself, but which was undercooked or spoiled or whatever. In any case, food poisoning.

We can assume that, being the Buddha, he was fully aware of what he was eating, and accepted it as an offering. Whether he enjoyed the flavor or not is kind of beside the point, as monks are not supposed to be attached to the sensory quality of thd food offered to them (they aren’t supposed to be too concerned with whether they like it or not).

Yes......and he told Cunda to bury it....haha.....i just find it so strange why he would even eat it ....knowing it was going to kill him......and nobody else got sick ......maybe because of Buddhas age his system was weakened ......???

Anyways thank you for your answer to my question :namaste:
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

Kai lord wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:58 am
In the scriptures, Only highly accomplished yogis like the mahasiddhas are allowed to perform the conduct as part of their training.

Since most of us will not reach that level within this life before bardo, this cannot be verified.

Thank you....that's what i thought ..... :namaste:
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

Inedible wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:28 am
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:58 am as if it was something delicious?
They invented something called acting. For the right amount of money, I'll show you I love to eat rotten food with maggots. Hopefully, you will be gone before I find out I can't keep it down.

I think it was in the Surangama Sutra that there was a reference to people drinking urine and eating feces like it was normal food and drink. It was a sign of demonic possession and such abilities go away when the possession stops. It was in the chapter at the end with the signs that are mistaken for accomplishment.

Thank you....yes..that sounds believable too....there are so many different answers to this question...maybe they are all right answers....i myself think an Enlightened being is capable of eating anything.....

i was having a discussion with someone about this and he totally didn't think an Enlightened person would do this......so i questioned myself as to why i believed it could be true.....and thought i must have read about something similar....and i believe everything i read if it was in a Buddhist book.....haha

Thanks everyone !

:namaste:

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”