Hello from Bali 🌴

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.
afton

Hello from Bali 🌴

Post by afton »

I'm a beginner in Buddhism, just started reading on it on Wikipedia *) and was quite struck
on the similarities of human condition in our modern life compared to hundred years ago.

Just a bit above age four-zero, lately I've been reminiscing about the "good old days" of
90s music, internet before the rampant commercialization, and just general wistfulness
of the years gone by.

I'm an Apple fan (although not an Apple user currently), and reading about Steve Jobs
biography, it introduced me to Zen Buddhism and I'm very much interested in its philosophy.

I've read introductory books on Zen Buddhism by myself about ten years ago but haven't progressed
due to not finding a community to discuss it with.

Recently I've started to read again various articles on Buddhism, on Wikipedia and Tricycle magazine
and am quite interested again in deepening my understanding about Buddhism.

I've done a quick search but haven't found a Zen sangha in Bali. It would be good to have
a community to chat and have discussion with.

Anyone here live in Bali, Indonesia?

cheers :)

*) I call myself a 'wikipedia addict' -- is this some form of attachment? :-)
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Re: Hello from Bali 🌴

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Hi, afton :hi:
I've visited Bali (and loved it) but don't live there.
The local religion is Hinduism, of course, and many of the expats there are into yoga, which is also Hindu. Any Buddhism there is historical or in the expat community - which is good in that you wouldn't have any language difficulties.

:namaste:
Kim
afton

Post by afton »

Thanks for speedy reply Kim : )

From online search I found several Buddhist temples actually but haven't gone to any of them.

Reading from wikipedia articles, seems that the majority of them are from Theravada schools
and also the 'tridharma' (mix of Confucianism, Taoism, and Daoism)
ddorje

Post by ddorje »

Occasionally legitimate holders of Buddhadharma lineage pass through their but a lot of it is a spiritual shopping centre. There are a few places that might be tagged as Buddhist on Google Maps but it's usually a private family temple.

You could visit the 10th century Candi (stupa) at Kalibukbu, or the lower caves of Goa Ganja, or the less known and delightfully special cave of Goa Garbha (these last two were used by 8th-ish century Buddhist tantrik practioners before the rise of "Hinduism" in Bali) - and at these points you could make aspirations to connect with an authentic source of the teachings.
'Maybe you collect a lot of important writings, major texts, personal instructions private notes, whatever. If you haven't practiced, books won't help you when you die. Look at the mind - that's my sincere advice' - Longchen Rabjam
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Hello afton,
welcome to Dharmawheel. :buddha1:
HauntedHotel

Post by HauntedHotel »

There is alos a temple for santaizi where you can learn alot about real buddhist practice. I dont remember where it is exactly.
Looked it up real quick - it's Vihara Satya Dharma.
Last edited by HauntedHotel on Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HauntedHotel

Post by HauntedHotel »

ddorje wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:11 am Occasionally legitimate holders of Buddhadharma lineage pass through their but a lot of it is a spiritual shopping centre. There are a few places that might be tagged as Buddhist on Google Maps but it's usually a private family temple.
Where do you get this idea from?
Last edited by HauntedHotel on Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HauntedHotel

Post by HauntedHotel »

Vihara Dharmayana in kuta has free dharma books in bhasa that were printed in singapiore that you can take.

Also you can visit LN Fortunate Coffee, you can visit and talk to the people. Food is delicious and has a nice view.

There is alos a temple for santaizi where you can learn alot about real buddhist practice. I dont remember where it is exactly.
HauntedHotel

Post by HauntedHotel »

If I ever make some real big money, indonesia is one of the places I will try to really promote buddhism. In the mean time, please visit the temple in kuta and grab some books. There is some sutras and mantra books in bhasa kept in the area behind the main shrine.
You can pray at the bodhi tree there and there are statues in the Guanyin stupa if you need.
The oracle in the main shrine is very effective too
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Welcome to DW!

laic

Post by laic »

Hi afton, I was on Kuta Beach in the early 1970's, during my ill-spent youth. Not much of a Buddhist or anything else in those days. But I steered clear of the the magic mushrooms.... :smile:

I'd say just keep reading generally and a path will open. The Dharma is wide and deep.

Welcome to the forum.
Protecting oneself one protects others
Protecting others one protects oneself

Return to “Introductions”