Do actual Buddhist monks ever crave sex?

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Jokingfish

Re: Do actual Buddhist monks ever crave sex?

Post by Jokingfish »

If so, kai lord, does buddha make love, or does he gain wisdom through living a holy life (celibate)?

If not, do you think that buddha will ever do sexual acts even in very distant future, like thousands of years after?
Kai lord

Post by Kai lord »

I already answered to all of that, she was called a consort for a very good reason. I will leave the details to your wild imagination. :tongue:
Life is like a game, either you win or lose!
Life is like a fight, either you live or die!
Life is like a show, either you laugh or cry!
Life is like a dream, either you know or not!!!
Jokingfish

Post by Jokingfish »

Kai lord wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:57 pm I already answered to all of that, she was called a consort for a very good reason. I will leave the details to your wild imagination. :tongue:
How can unwholesome action be used?
Kai lord

Post by Kai lord »

Jokingfish wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:49 pm
Kai lord wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:57 pm I already answered to all of that, she was called a consort for a very good reason. I will leave the details to your wild imagination. :tongue:
Attachment/clinging to desire is the problem, not desire itself. If one does not understand the nature of desire, they will let it rule over their head and control their thoughts, six senses and emotions, getting enslaved to it, hence leading to unwholesome actions.
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

Kai lord wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:57 pm
Attachment/clinging to desire is the problem, not desire itself. If one does not understand the nature of desire, they will let it rule over their head and control their thoughts, six senses and emotions, getting enslaved to it, hence leading to unwholesome actions.
Thing is that you are speaking of a tantric topic in a Mahayana forum kind of pretending that the tantra aspect is not there. In the language of the energies/substances in the body-mind: "Bodhicitta(mind of awakening) is a mandala of semen."
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)
Kai lord

Post by Kai lord »

Aemilius wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:38 am

Thing is that you are speaking of a tantric topic in a Mahayana forum kind of pretending that the tantra aspect is not there. In the language of the energies/substances in the body-mind: "Bodhicitta(mind of awakening) is a mandala of semen."
Tantras are part of Mahayana. Some people pretend they are not but they are.

And uninitiated are not required nor allowed to know the details.
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

Kai lord wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:05 pm
Aemilius wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:38 am

Tantras are part of Mahayana. Some people pretend they are not but they are.

And uninitiated are not required nor allowed to know the details.
The actual situation is different in China and other Mahayana countries. Many tantric texts and sadhanas have been translated into chinese and they are often called sutras. Like the Thousand Arms Avalokitesvara, and other forms of Avalokitesvara. Considerable amount of mantra practice still takes place in Chinese buddhist monasteries, daily. Even sadhanas of Chakrasamvara and Hevajra were translated into chinese and were practiced (secretly) in 1800's and 1900's, this I have read.
Taoist works of inner alchemy (Neidan) were deemed important and they were included in the Buddhist canon or Tripitaka in China. This inner body alchemy is also included in japanese Zen, and practiced (more or less) secretly. As are other inner body practices like Qiqong. As a whole this is largely equivalent to Tantra.
I can't read chinese, but I am quite sure they have "purified" their modern Tripitaka, to large extent, from the daoist and tantric works, that were there previously.

For example: "Tiantai Buddhist patriarch Nanyue Huisi praying to successfully make an elixir that would keep him alive till the coming of Maitreya. Lu Gwei-djen translated Huisi's vow to live as an ascetic in the mountains:

"I am seeking for the longevity in order to defend the Faith, not in order to enjoy worldly happiness. I pray that all the saints and sages will come to my help, so that I may get some good magic mushrooms [zhi 芝], and numinous elixirs [shendan 神丹], enabling me to cure all illnesses and to stop both hunger and thirst. In this way I shall be able to practice continually the way of the Sutras and to engage in the several forms of meditations. I shall hope to find a peaceful dwelling in the depths of the mountains, with enough numinous elixirs and medicine to carry out my plans. Thus, by the aids of external elixirs [waidan] I shall be able to cultivate the elixir within [neidan]."

from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neidan
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)
seeker242

Post by seeker242 »

Of course, you don't automatically get enlightenment just because you become a monk. Those that do get enlightenment, that is eternally cut yes.
One should not kill any living being, nor cause it to be killed, nor should one incite any other to kill. Do never injure any being, whether strong or weak, in this entire universe!

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”