Advice on Buddhist centres in London

If you're new to the forum or new to Buddhism, this is the best place for your questions. Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.
Tez

Advice on Buddhist centres in London

Post by Tez »

Recently I decided to leave the buddhist centre I go to, which is a Triratna one in London, after learning there founder Sangharakshita was a sexual Predators, and that the movement continues to cover up for him. Now I'm looking for a new buddhist community in London to continue my journey. The experience with Triratna been unsettling, and I need a to find a new community with teachers who can help me become a better buddhist. I've no idea where to begin choosing a new community . How did everyone decide what group was right for them? If anyone is familiar with buddhism in London I'd appreciate some guidance as to groups in the city and their experiences with them. Thanks
Dhammanando

Re: Advice on Buddhist centres in London

Post by Dhammanando »

You might start, as I did, with the grandfather of them all: the Buddhist Society on 58 Eccleston Square. Just take the District or Circle line to Victoria or the Victoria line to Pimlico, or a bus to Victoria coach station, and then it's a ten-minute walk. Best to show up in the afternoon between 2 and 6 pm.

See their page for a list of the current activities and teachers. From a quick perusal it seems at present to be mostly online teaching.

https://www.thebuddhistsociety.org/
Zhen Li

Post by Zhen Li »

If you're interested in Jodo Shinshu, there is a Higashi Honganji temple called Three Wheels in London, and the Nishi Hongwanji organisation is a bit more spread out but I can help you get in touch if you are interested.
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

The best way is to just go and visit and get a feel for the place. Teaching events are best but quite a few of them also have little cafés or have reading areas where you can sit and read and drink tea. You can get a feel of the place, the people and so on. Maybe you'll have a conversation with someone doing the same, or meet a friendly resident.

You're not obliged to preference one over another if you enjoy different qualities of centres and sanghas, even if they practice different flavours of dharma.
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
Knotty Veneer

Post by Knotty Veneer »

If you are interested in Tibetan Buddhism, you should visit the London Samye Dzong centre in the old Bermondsey Public Library building in Spa Road in Bermondsey. It's a branch of Samye Ling.

https://london.samye.org
This is not the wrong life.
Losal Samten

Post by Losal Samten »

Knotty Veneer wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:05 am If you are interested in Tibetan Buddhism, you should visit the London Samye Dzong centre in the old Bermondsey Public Library building in Spa Road in Bermondsey. It's a branch of Samye Ling.

https://london.samye.org
They also have a Tibetan Medicine doctor who visits from Scotland every so often whom I've seen.

https://www.london.samye.org/services/tibetan-medicine/
https://www.soktsangtibetanmedicine.co.uk/
Lacking mindfulness, we commit every wrong. - Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
ཨོཾ་ཧ་ནུ་པྷ་ཤ་བྷ་ར་ཧེ་ཡེ་སྭཱ་ཧཱ།།
ཨཱོཾ་མ་ཏྲི་མུ་ཡེ་སལེ་འདུ།།
oryoki

Post by oryoki »

You could also hop on the train and visit Amaravati monastery which is not far from London.
https://home.amaravati.org/
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Post by Konchog Thogme Jampa »

Zhen Li wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:24 am If you're interested in Jodo Shinshu, there is a Higashi Honganji temple called Three Wheels in London, and the Nishi Hongwanji organisation is a bit more spread out but I can help you get in touch if you are interested.
Three Wheels is Shogyoji
Last edited by Konchog Thogme Jampa on Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bristollad

Post by Bristollad »

Another Tibetan centre is Jamyang Buddhist Centre which is part of the FPMT.

Jamyang London Buddhist Centre
The Old Courthouse
43 Renfrew Road
London, SE11 4NA, UK

www.jamyang.co.uk

It's based in an old magistrate's court, and what was formerly the court is now the main gompa. The resident teacher is a dutch monk who spent 20 years studying for his geshe degree in Sera Je monastery in India. He speaks good english!
The antidote—to be free from the suffering of samsara—you need to be free from delusion and karma; you need to be free from ignorance, the root of samsara. So you need to meditate on emptiness. That is what you need. Lama Zopa Rinpoche
KeithA

Post by KeithA »

These topics usually end up with us cheerleading our own traditions, so in keeping with that, there is the London Zen Centre

_/|\_
Keith
When walking, standing, sitting, lying down, speaking,
being silent, moving, being still.
At all times, in all places, without interruption - what is this?
One mind is infinite kalpas.

New Haven Zen Center

Return to “Discovering Mahayana Buddhism”