Turning Suffering and Happiness into Enlightenment

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Turning Suffering and Happiness into Enlightenment

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Great Lojong text which I had not read before:

https://www.lotsawahouse.org/tibetan-ma ... -happiness
Don’t you see what’s wrong with the world today? Oh Everybody wants somebody to be their own piece of clay.

-Marvin Gaye
climb-up

Re: Turning Suffering and Happiness into Enlightenment

Post by climb-up »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:35 am Great Lojong text which I had not read before:

Beautiful ❤️
There is also a commentary on this text by Gyatrul Rinpoche in the book “Meditation, Transformation and Dream Yoga.”
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

climb-up wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:32 pm
Johnny Dangerous wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:35 am Great Lojong text which I had not read before:

Beautiful ❤️
There is also a commentary on this text by Gyatrul Rinpoche in the book “Meditation, Transformation and Dream Yoga.”
Yeah, that’s the version I’m reading actually. I prefer it style wise to this translation, but no idea which one is more accurate.
Don’t you see what’s wrong with the world today? Oh Everybody wants somebody to be their own piece of clay.

-Marvin Gaye
climb-up

Post by climb-up »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:43 pm

Beautiful ❤️
Yeah, that’s the version I’m reading actually. I prefer it style wise to this translation, but no idea which one is more accurate.
Yeah, who knows. I still do have aspirations to learn Tibetan some day, but I'm not really sure when/how that will happen.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

climb-up wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:39 am

Beautiful ❤️
Yeah, who knows. I still do have aspirations to learn Tibetan some day, but I'm not really sure when/how that will happen.
Same. I’m planning on practicing the syllables from Translating Buddhism From Tibetan this weekend, but likely something will get in the way, lol.

-Marvin Gaye
climb-up

Post by climb-up »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:14 am
climb-up wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:39 am

Same. I’m planning on practicing the syllables from Translating Buddhism From Tibetan this weekend, but likely something will get in the way, lol.
Awesome!
I actually was just thinking of trying to track that book down (although, of course, I know all about things coming up and getting in the way!)

During the early part of the pandemic I stated a second run at the “manual of standard Tibetan” and was doing ok, until I got to the point where I could translate the samples at the end of a lesson, but then wasn’t sure if it was right or not. I kind of gave up at that point, until I can find an in person class; but maybe I’ll try again.

I did also, a few months ago, go back to “learning Practical Tibetan,” with the idea of learning enough to have a very basic conversation, but I didn’t get very far and I would probably be too embarrassed to actually try.

I think my next attempt will be basic phrases and words again and then do some of the live Skype lessons that I’ve seen. Even that’s a little scary (I’d like to just blend into the back of a class until I’m comfortable! Lol), so I’ll have to wait until I get a surge of motivation and just sign up right away and see what I can do.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”