How do I post an image?

Offer your suggestions about how we can improve this forum to better serve our members, and tell us here about any technical problems.
laic

How do I post an image?

Post by laic »

Not sure if this is the right place, but I would like to post images/photos but can't work it out. Tried various things but no good.

Could someone please advise.

Thank you.
Archie2009

Re: How do I post an image?

Post by Archie2009 »

Use an image hosting service like https://postimages.org
It'sYa1UPBoy

Post by It'sYa1UPBoy »

There's a thing below the submit button where you can put attachments. Though, when I tried posting a picture of my altar in the appropriate subforum, it would keep farting out halfway through the upload, and I know the file was small enough. So, I tried posting a link to the photo, more specifically a Discord link... It didn't lead to a channel/server, I mean the type of link Discord generates when you send a photo to someone. Alas, this was deemed unacceptable and my topic was not approved.
So, I can say, from personal experience, this: try making the photo an attached file, and if that doesn't work, *don't* send it as a cdn.discordapp link. (However, IDK what kind of hosting link *is* acceptable, because I didn't save my post as a draft so when it was not approved I did not have the block of text I sent with it, and, discouraged by having forgotten already what I'd typed out, opted not to try again.)
(Also, this is not meant as a passive-aggressive jab at the mods, simply as a word of warning to OP on what kind of photo sharing method is considered unacceptable.)
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

It'sYa1UPBoy wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:44 am ...
A hosting service for US was suggested just above.
There are many in all different languages.

You have to register in most of them, log in and upload the photo there. Then they'll provide an url-address of this photo. You can simply copy and paste this address. It has to contain nothing more than [ img ] https..xyz [ /img.]

The attachment tool does not work for too big pixel amounts. The modern mobiles create too big photos.
A hosting service can reduce that data volume as well.

Sorry that your post was disapproved. The time of the Newly Registered User state is a time for education on how to use DW. We had some newbies lately who were quite immune to any polite explanation. Then, if the moderator is in a hurry, the decisions could be a bit stern.
Sorry for the inconvenience.
It'sYa1UPBoy

Post by It'sYa1UPBoy »

That's quite alright, Ayu. I understand completely.
laic

Post by laic »

Given the advice above in this thread, I have found and use....

https://postimages.org/

It works fine for me.

The page you get has a blue square that says "Choose Image". When tapped I get my photos file. I tap the one I want and it loads.

When the load is complete a whole series of nine various potential links are given. The second one down works for me, "Direct link". I copy and paste this link into the gap between the [img]'s that appear when I tap the picture icon above the "post reply" page.

(This is all on my Kindle)

Anyway, thanks for the help everybody.
Protecting oneself one protects others
Protecting others one protects oneself
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

It'sYa1UPBoy wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:44 am There's a thing below the submit button where you can put attachments. Though, when I tried posting a picture of my altar in the appropriate subforum, it would keep farting out halfway through the upload, and I know the file was small enough. So, I tried posting a link to the photo, more specifically a Discord link... It didn't lead to a channel/server, I mean the type of link Discord generates when you send a photo to someone. Alas, this was deemed unacceptable and my topic was not approved.
So, I can say, from personal experience, this: try making the photo an attached file, and if that doesn't work, *don't* send it as a cdn.discordapp link. (However, IDK what kind of hosting link *is* acceptable, because I didn't save my post as a draft so when it was not approved I did not have the block of text I sent with it, and, discouraged by having forgotten already what I'd typed out, opted not to try again.)
(Also, this is not meant as a passive-aggressive jab at the mods, simply as a word of warning to OP on what kind of photo sharing method is considered unacceptable.)
Hi,
You seem to have been unlucky, in a few different ways, in your first try.
First off, that your upload attempt via the system software failed. I really don't know why that happened, unless the image was in the wrong format (I know .jpg is fine but I seem to remember that the system rejects .png) or too big - or it could have been a random glitch. Perhaps you could try another example image here and we can try to sort it out?
Secondly, that you hit me as the nearest mod, and at a time when I didn't have much time - sorry, but it happens. I saw you were new here and assumed that you hadn't even tried the correct way of posting images. From time to time we have new members posting links to unsuitable sites or images :rolleye: so there were actually two reasons to ask you to do the right thing - to alert you to our preferred method, and to avoid the chance that your link was problematic (once again, sorry, but it's a risk I saw no need to take).

However (and here's the good news) disapproved posts are not deleted forever, so I can PM your text to you so that you can re-post it without re-typing it, if you want to . Would you like me to do that?

:namaste:
Kim
It'sYa1UPBoy

Post by It'sYa1UPBoy »

Kim O'Hara wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:24 am
It'sYa1UPBoy wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:44 am ...
That would actually be very nice, yes, to receive the text. I figured, when I got frustrated at the idea of trying to remember what I had typed, that I should just set the matter aside.

>First off, that your upload attempt via the system software failed. I really don't know why that happened, unless the image was in the wrong format (I know .jpg is fine but I seem to remember that the system rejects .png) or too big - or it could have been a random glitch.
Honestly my internet really sucks, so I assumed it was that. Even during the period of day when we're supposed to have extra bandwidth, it's still not great.

>Secondly, that you hit me as the nearest mod, and at a time when I didn't have much time - sorry, but it happens.
Nah, it's fine. Everyone's got lives outside of forum posting.

:anjali:

Return to “Suggestion Box”