Dharmic job/career ideas?

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Post Reply
User avatar
climb-up
Posts: 928
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:32 am

Dharmic job/career ideas?

Post by climb-up »

I'd be curious if anyone has any thoughts or ideas.

I've recently been passed up for promotion in my current job and will probably not be able to keep working it unless I at least get a second job (which would have to schedule with my first job, making it all tricky). I also am a 40 year old with a family to support, so I can't take any big risks or afford to take, say, a minimum wage job.
My current thinking is to get a second job and then go back to school with the eventual aim of getting a MLs (masters of library science, to continue in my current field) and/or a masters in counseling (I have a background in hypnotherapy and have done some work that often becomes de facto counseling. This could also be supplemented with Dr Nida's Sowa Rigpa counselng traning). These are both long term since I think I need another two years to get my BA.

As I'm looking into various jobs and careers that I may or may not qualify for, or may or may not be able to work towards, I just thought "Are there any specifically dharma-centered jobs I could do?" I can think of several off the top of my head that would either involve setting up your own business or having specialized training (like being an IT or marketing professional for a dharma center), but was curious if there was anything that I'm not thinking of.

I'm not really expecting anything, but would love to hear if anyone has any thoughts. :anjali:
User avatar
Boomerang
Posts: 576
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:34 am

Re: Dharmic job/career ideas?

Post by Boomerang »

Fundraising copywriter. You can be the wish-fulfilling gem that keeps dharma centers alive and increases the merit of lay people by ethically persuading people to donate more money, more often.

Besides that, any other type of freelance marketing career with a focus on non-profits. You can learn various digital marketing skills quickly without getting a college degree, and then specialize in non-profits.

Moceanic is a good training website for fundraising professionals.

https://www.moceanic.com/
User avatar
climb-up
Posts: 928
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:32 am

Re: Dharmic job/career ideas?

Post by climb-up »

Boomerang wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:10 pm Fundraising copywriter. You can be the wish-fulfilling gem that keeps dharma centers alive and increases the merit of lay people by ethically persuading people to donate more money, more often.

Besides that, any other type of freelance marketing career with a focus on non-profits. You can learn various digital marketing skills quickly without getting a college degree, and then specialize in non-profits.

Moceanic is a good training website for fundraising professionals.

https://www.moceanic.com/
Very intriguing! I'll check it out, thank you! :) :anjali:
User avatar
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator
Posts: 15452
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:58 pm
Location: Olympia WA
Contact:

Re: Dharmic job/career ideas?

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Are you in the US?

If you really wanna get intimate with the mud of samsara get into the helping professions lol, no lack of work.

Generally you can get into the field with an associates degree, and from there there are lots of further options.

If you get a public sector job it tends to be stable, have good Bennies etc., and as full time jobs go you tend to have a decent amount of free time, even short retreat if you can make it work with family.

Good part is to sometimes getting to genuinely help others, bad part is dealing with messed up systems and the limitations of your position in doing much to change them.

Still, as a career that reflects Dharmic values and challenges your practice I think it’s a good field….for sure not for everyone though.

Ime there are easier (well, and cheaper) routes than a Masters in Counseling if you want to do that, what state are you in? Not trying to dissuade you of course, but you can get into the actual work quicker if you want, then get more education that a lot of times also get you internship hours, which saves more time than getting a Masters, then finding a job, then getting supervised internship hours.

Quickest way to counseling is generally to get an associates + Substance Use provider classes, or if you are a state that allows Life Coach etc. licensing, to do that. This is consistent in the other states I’ve looked at.

The library sciences thing sound awesome too though, libraries are awesome places to work from what I’ve seen.
Don’t you see what’s wrong with the world today? Oh Everybody wants somebody to be their own piece of clay.

-Marvin Gaye
User avatar
climb-up
Posts: 928
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:32 am

Re: Dharmic job/career ideas?

Post by climb-up »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:49 pm Are you in the US?

If you really wanna get intimate with the mud of samsara get into the helping professions lol, no lack of work.

Generally you can get into the field with an associates degree, and from there there are lots of further options.

If you get a public sector job it tends to be stable, have good Bennies etc., and as full time jobs go you tend to have a decent amount of free time, even short retreat if you can make it work with family.

Good part is to sometimes getting to genuinely help others, bad part is dealing with messed up systems and the limitations of your position in doing much to change them.

Still, as a career that reflects Dharmic values and challenges your practice I think it’s a good field….for sure not for everyone though.

Ime there are easier (well, and cheaper) routes than a Masters in Counseling if you want to do that, what state are you in? Not trying to dissuade you of course, but you can get into the actual work quicker if you want, then get more education that a lot of times also get you internship hours, which saves more time than getting a Masters, then finding a job, then getting supervised internship hours.

Quickest way to counseling is generally to get an associates + Substance Use provider classes, or if you are a state that allows Life Coach etc. licensing, to do that. This is consistent in the other states I’ve looked at.

The library sciences thing sound awesome too though, libraries are awesome places to work from what I’ve seen.
Thank you, I really appreciate the feedback.
Interesting regarding the associates degree (I'm in California). I know that my, who retired a few years ago a social worker for our county got started with a drug and alcohol counselor certificate and then moved on from that (I also know a little bit about the messed up systems). From the little that I've looked into it though I don't think I'd be very good at the job because while my family has experienced a lot of substance abuse and I know many people who have had major struggles, I haven't had any dependency issues myself and can't use my personal experience to build rapport or helpful insight (that's just based on descriptions I've read in the field).

The counselling idea was based on my thought of starting a private practice of hypnotherapy (essentially unregulated in California). That is a potential long term goal, but it takes start up money and time so it's not immediate. Basically I was thinking, if I'm looking into an MLIS then I could potentially study at a masters level for counselling and use that in a private practice while keeping a focus on hypnotherapy (or not, who knows) and maybe Dr Nidas Sowa Rigpa counselling.
But perhaps different paths.

Working at libraries is great!
In public libraries (where I work) there is a significant amount of social work sort of baked into the cake, but there are many satisfying chances to help people with everything from getting housing and food to finding a really fun nighttime picture book…
…I also read a lot! 😝
User avatar
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator
Posts: 15452
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:58 pm
Location: Olympia WA
Contact:

Re: Dharmic job/career ideas?

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

climb-up wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:59 am
Johnny Dangerous wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:49 pm Are you in the US?

If you really wanna get intimate with the mud of samsara get into the helping professions lol, no lack of work.

Generally you can get into the field with an associates degree, and from there there are lots of further options.

If you get a public sector job it tends to be stable, have good Bennies etc., and as full time jobs go you tend to have a decent amount of free time, even short retreat if you can make it work with family.

Good part is to sometimes getting to genuinely help others, bad part is dealing with messed up systems and the limitations of your position in doing much to change them.

Still, as a career that reflects Dharmic values and challenges your practice I think it’s a good field….for sure not for everyone though.

Ime there are easier (well, and cheaper) routes than a Masters in Counseling if you want to do that, what state are you in? Not trying to dissuade you of course, but you can get into the actual work quicker if you want, then get more education that a lot of times also get you internship hours, which saves more time than getting a Masters, then finding a job, then getting supervised internship hours.

Quickest way to counseling is generally to get an associates + Substance Use provider classes, or if you are a state that allows Life Coach etc. licensing, to do that. This is consistent in the other states I’ve looked at.

The library sciences thing sound awesome too though, libraries are awesome places to work from what I’ve seen.
Thank you, I really appreciate the feedback.
Interesting regarding the associates degree (I'm in California). I know that my, who retired a few years ago a social worker for our county got started with a drug and alcohol counselor certificate and then moved on from that (I also know a little bit about the messed up systems). From the little that I've looked into it though I don't think I'd be very good at the job because while my family has experienced a lot of substance abuse and I know many people who have had major struggles, I haven't had any dependency issues myself and can't use my personal experience to build rapport or helpful insight (that's just based on descriptions I've read in the field).
This might have been more relevant 20 or 10 years ago, but today it really doesn't matter if you have personal experience of addiction. having family members who have struggles is plenty of a qualification, but the idea that you need personal experience to qualify is silly anyway. That's maybe true if you work at a heavily 12-step oriented place or with certain populations, but once you build rapport people generally stop caring about your background after a session or two. Personal experience with substance abuse comes in handy at times, but it really means a lot less than people think it does. I've worked with a bunch of different populations, I'd say that with some it was marginally to somewhat important, and with others they could really care less what your experience is...so it's totally population dependent. Quite frankly there are also too many poor counselors in the field who tend to rely on their personal experience above professional skills...so if anything is going to dissuade you, I wouldn't let it be that, it has nothing to do with whether you could do the job or not.

Other than some basic education on addiction and such, and perhaps learning Motivational Interviewing, counseling is counseling and you learn person-centered counseling methods and kind of put everything else on top of that base, including Dharma-derived stuff and whatever else. I mentioned it less because it's SUD counseling, but because it's the quickest/cheapest way into the profession of counseling more generally.


The counselling idea was based on my thought of starting a private practice of hypnotherapy (essentially unregulated in California). That is a potential long term goal, but it takes start up money and time so it's not immediate. Basically I was thinking, if I'm looking into an MLIS then I could potentially study at a masters level for counselling and use that in a private practice while keeping a focus on hypnotherapy (or not, who knows) and maybe Dr Nidas Sowa Rigpa counselling.
But perhaps different paths.
I would get some direct experience with some sort of counseling before trying that. Unless you went the route of Life Coach or similar you would have to anyway, because you have two like years of supervised hours before you can have any kind of counseling license that would allow you to run your own business in terms of mental health counseling/therapy. AFAIK CA is about like WA, so that's what you're looking at roughly, in addition to the education.

I do have a friend that got the Life Coach license here (I think that's what it's called) and it seemed like it was pretty open-ended and would allow a fair range of stuff with less red tape...IDK if you could fold the hypnotherapy thing in there or not.
Working at libraries is great!
In public libraries (where I work) there is a significant amount of social work sort of baked into the cake, but there are many satisfying chances to help people with everything from getting housing and food to finding a really fun nighttime picture book…
…I also read a lot! 😝
Wait you already work at one, what makes you want a different career, just more money? Seems like the Library Sciences thing is a great idea!
Don’t you see what’s wrong with the world today? Oh Everybody wants somebody to be their own piece of clay.

-Marvin Gaye
User avatar
climb-up
Posts: 928
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:32 am

Re: Dharmic job/career ideas?

Post by climb-up »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:38 am
Thank you, I really appreciate your insight, and that makes a lot of sense to me. I have some small amount of training in Rogerian client centered therapy and through that I think I can see how counseling is counseling with other aspects added on top.

Working at libraries is great!
In public libraries (where I work) there is a significant amount of social work sort of baked into the cake, but there are many satisfying chances to help people with everything from getting housing and food to finding a really fun nighttime picture book…
…I also read a lot! 😝
Wait you already work at one, what makes you want a different career, just more money? Seems like the Library Sciences thing is a great idea!
For the past 17 or so years.
I've been able to live fairly well working part time and raising my family full time, but recent events in life make me need to make more money and recent events at work (possible some level of politics or discrimination, new management getting rid of old employees, I don't know) have made me question my ability to do that here.
If I can get a second job, or even a side hustle, and a BA the library will subsidize part of my MLIS degree, so that is definitely in the potential plan (the first part of the plan is more or less the same whichever direction I go).
reiun
Posts: 749
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:08 pm
Location: Florida USA

Re: Dharmic job/career ideas?

Post by reiun »

climb-up wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:59 am
Johnny Dangerous wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:49 pm Ime there are easier (well, and cheaper) routes than a Masters in Counseling . . .
The counselling idea was based on my thought of starting a private practice of hypnotherapy (essentially unregulated in California). That is a potential long term goal, but it takes start up money and time so it's not immediate. Basically I was thinking, if I'm looking into an MLIS then I could potentially study at a masters level for counselling . . .

Working at libraries is great!
In public libraries (where I work) there is a significant amount of social work sort of baked into the cake, but there are many satisfying chances to help people with everything from getting housing and food to finding a really fun nighttime picture book…
…I also read a lot! 😝
I worked in my college library as an undergrad Lit major as part of my scholarship. (I shelved in periodicals, a great help for my personal research.)
I decided to enroll in a MSW program years later. My first internship was in a drug and alcohol clinic. In '69 I was 21 . . .
so I had essential cred. But the Masters level education was invaluable. My second internship hired me at graduation.
If there is any way to get the highest level of education, you will offer the most benefit to your clients.
Be Fully Alive
User avatar
PadmaVonSamba
Posts: 7135
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 1:41 am

Re: Dharmic job/career ideas?

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

climb-up wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:01 pm I'd be curious if anyone has any thoughts or ideas.

I've recently been passed up for promotion in my current job and will probably not be able to keep working it unless I at least get a second job (which would have to schedule with my first job, making it all tricky). I also am a 40 year old with a family to support, so I can't take any big risks or afford to take, say, a minimum wage job.
My current thinking is to get a second job and then go back to school with the eventual aim of getting a MLs (masters of library science, to continue in my current field) and/or a masters in counseling (I have a background in hypnotherapy and have done some work that often becomes de facto counseling. This could also be supplemented with Dr Nida's Sowa Rigpa counselng traning). These are both long term since I think I need another two years to get my BA.

As I'm looking into various jobs and careers that I may or may not qualify for, or may or may not be able to work towards, I just thought "Are there any specifically dharma-centered jobs I could do?" I can think of several off the top of my head that would either involve setting up your own business or having specialized training (like being an IT or marketing professional for a dharma center), but was curious if there was anything that I'm not thinking of.

I'm not really expecting anything, but would love to hear if anyone has any thoughts. :anjali:
Can you cook and manage a kitchen? There are very often jobs for foodies at Buddhist retreat centers and monasteries.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook develops outward insight.
User avatar
climb-up
Posts: 928
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:32 am

Re: Dharmic job/career ideas?

Post by climb-up »

reiun wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:55 pm
so I had essential cred. But the Masters level education was invaluable. My second internship hired me at graduation.
If there is any way to get the highest level of education, you will offer the most benefit to your clients.
Thank you 🙏
User avatar
climb-up
Posts: 928
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:32 am

Re: Dharmic job/career ideas?

Post by climb-up »

PadmaVonSamba wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:06 am
Can you cook and manage a kitchen? There are very often jobs for foodies at Buddhist retreat centers and monasteries.
Sadly no. That sounds really cool, but due to family obligations retreat centers aren’t places I can spend much time in anyways.
In searching I found a work study program that gives room and board and a Nyingma institute, classes and $250 a month. In a different life situation I would be all over either doing something like that or trying to work at any retreat center that would have me. Im sure it can all be a grind at times, but that seems great.
User avatar
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator
Posts: 15452
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:58 pm
Location: Olympia WA
Contact:

Re: Dharmic job/career ideas?

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

climb-up wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:58 am
Johnny Dangerous wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:38 am
Thank you, I really appreciate your insight, and that makes a lot of sense to me. I have some small amount of training in Rogerian client centered therapy and through that I think I can see how counseling is counseling with other aspects added on top.

Working at libraries is great!
In public libraries (where I work) there is a significant amount of social work sort of baked into the cake, but there are many satisfying chances to help people with everything from getting housing and food to finding a really fun nighttime picture book…
…I also read a lot! 😝
Wait you already work at one, what makes you want a different career, just more money? Seems like the Library Sciences thing is a great idea!
For the past 17 or so years.
I've been able to live fairly well working part time and raising my family full time, but recent events in life make me need to make more money and recent events at work (possible some level of politics or discrimination, new management getting rid of old employees, I don't know) have made me question my ability to do that here.
If I can get a second job, or even a side hustle, and a BA the library will subsidize part of my MLIS degree, so that is definitely in the potential plan (the first part of the plan is more or less the same whichever direction I go).
That’s pretty cool, IMO working at a library is already very meritorious too, libraries are awesome and provide something really vital to communities.

Years before I got into the counseling gig (I’d just left the world of massage therapy) I tried in vain to get in at our local library, but the jobs are very sought after.
Don’t you see what’s wrong with the world today? Oh Everybody wants somebody to be their own piece of clay.

-Marvin Gaye
Shinjin
Posts: 352
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:44 pm

Re: Dharmic job/career ideas?

Post by Shinjin »

"A lay follower should not engage in five types of business. Which five? Business in weapons, business in human beings, business in meat, business in intoxicants, and business in poison."

Everything else is okay.
reiun
Posts: 749
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:08 pm
Location: Florida USA

Re: Dharmic job/career ideas?

Post by reiun »

Would you be willing to work part-time as a volunteer? Dharmawheel could certainly always benefit from fair-minded and communicative moderation. It would be a wonderful Dharma service.
Be Fully Alive
User avatar
climb-up
Posts: 928
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:32 am

Re: Dharmic job/career ideas?

Post by climb-up »

Shinjin wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:17 pm "A lay follower should not engage in five types of business. Which five? Business in weapons, business in human beings, business in meat, business in intoxicants, and business in poison."

Everything else is okay.
Thank you, an excellent quote. I wasn't so much concerned about the jobs that I have or am looking into so much as wondering if about specifically dharmic jobs.
reiun wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:16 am Would you be willing to work part-time as a volunteer? Dharmawheel could certainly always benefit from fair-minded and communicative moderation. It would be a wonderful Dharma service.
In the future yes, if I have any abilities that would be useful. I'm currently in a not-desperate-yet-but-headed-in-that-direction kind of situation, so making enough money to support my family is the primary goal at the moment.
Post Reply

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”