Practice after taking refuge with H.E Garchen Rinpoche

Seiren

Practice after taking refuge with H.E Garchen Rinpoche

Post by Seiren »

Hello my dear dharma friends!

I am planning to take refuge from afar with H.E. Garchen Rinpoche because I feel drawn to his view of Dharma as love and think he's a really great person.

I come to you with a question. I've read that you won't receive information on what to do after taking refuge. I'm completely new to the practices of Tibetan Buddhism and feel a bit overwhelmed by the amount of texts and materials on the GBI site and youtube.

Can you who practice in this lineage please guide me on with what practice to start with?

And another question - I want to get myself a wrist mala (the full 108 mala I already have) but I've found 21 or 27 beads ones. Which one should I get and what is the 21 beads mala for? I understand that 27 is 1/4 of 108 mala.

Thank you so much!

On Mani Padne Hum
philji

Re: Practice after taking refuge with H.E Garchen Rinpoche

Post by philji »

There are a number of Drikung KAGYU lamas available online. I would recommend Khenpo Samdup Rinpoche at Gar Drolma centre. They do a wonderful daily practice program and you can contact Khenpo for more guidance. Also Lama Sonam at Drikungboston.org who also does a morning practice online and is very open to offering guidance. ( check out his fb page).They are both connected with Garchen Rinpoche.
Kai lord

Post by Kai lord »

Seiren wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:08 am
Can you who practice in this lineage please guide me on with what practice to start with?
If you ask Rinpoche the above , I have no doubt he will tell you to download the ebook of Thirty-Seven Practices of the Bodhisattvas and start reading and seriously contemplate about its instructions.
Life is like a game, either you win or lose!
Life is like a fight, either you live or die!
Life is like a show, either you laugh or cry!
Life is like a dream, either you know or not!!!
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Post by Konchog Thogme Jampa »

Seiren wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:08 am Hello my dear dharma friends!

I am planning to take refuge from afar with H.E. Garchen Rinpoche because I feel drawn to his view of Dharma as love and think he's a really great person.

I come to you with a question. I've read that you won't receive information on what to do after taking refuge. I'm completely new to the practices of Tibetan Buddhism and feel a bit overwhelmed by the amount of texts and materials on the GBI site and youtube.

And another question - I want to get myself a wrist mala (the full 108 mala I already have) but I've found 21 or 27 beads ones. Which one should I get and what is the 21 beads mala for? I understand that 27 is 1/4 of 108 mala.

Thank you so much!

On Mani Padne Hum
White Tara is a very important practice with HEGR
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

Jewel Ornament of Liberation will tell you everything in a step by step manner. I second the Thirty-Seven Practices of the Bodhisattvas and White Tara idea. Garchen Rinpoche always recommends them.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Above mentioned texts/practices are great. I can only recommend 37 practices it is really the heart of the path. Mind training is what really leads to success on the path, especially in the beginning. There is an ongoing series of meditations and teachings on them by Garchen Instutue. Also Khenpo Samdub Rinpoche has a regular program and teaches on quite a lot of practices. Another great lama is Khenpo Tsultrim Tenzin Rinpoche, he teaches very often online and on September 30th he will give Green Tara initiation and sahdana transmission.

Meanwhile you can recite refuge prayer or recite/sing this lovely prayer to Tara sung HERE by Garchen Rinpoche. He actually recomended this prayer for dealing with the troubles we are facing right now.

Developing loving kindness throught loving kindness meditation and tonglen is also great idea.

There is a plenty of stuff you can do. Don't worry you will find your way through this plethora of stuff.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
tibetanintraining

Post by tibetanintraining »

philji wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:24 pm There are a number of Drikung KAGYU lamas available online. I would recommend Khenpo Samdup Rinpoche at Gar Drolma centre. They do a wonderful daily practice program and you can contact Khenpo for more guidance. Also Lama Sonam at Drikungboston.org who also does a morning practice online and is very open to offering guidance. ( check out his fb page).They are both connected with Garchen Rinpoche.
This is a late reply but Lama Sonam gave me an almost instant reply to a mental health and practice related question I had. Very open to offering guidance 10x.
mahabuddha

Post by mahabuddha »

Where do you live?

Return to “Kagyu”