Questions on empowerments

As Tantra often involves vows and samaya related to secret practice, this sub-forum has been created where Vajrayana practitioners can pose questions, and any of our members or staff can reply confidentially by PM.
dorje.yignyen

Questions on empowerments

Post by dorje.yignyen »

Good evening everyone,

I have found an opportunity to receive a Yamantaka empowerment from Ven. Zasep Rinpoche. I am aware of how precious such an opportunity is when it comes around in a lifetime. At the same time, I do not think I will be able or willing to take on the requisite vows that will be required for such an empowerment. This obviously means that I should not take on the empowerment. My big question for the forum is "does it matter?"

If my understanding of shunyata is correct, then does it truly matter if I or anyone else receives an empowerment? I think they can help beings overcome immense practical challenges in their lifetimes if the being is so attuned to Buddha dharma. The yogis and yoginis in the Himalayans were definitely on to something through their years of meditation and observation of mind, environment, and the interplay between the two. I honestly wouldn't likely be alive had I not received introductory teachings through Ven. Tenzin Yignyen, and I don't think I'd be in a position to ask this question properly had I not had a private chat with Losang Samten. I am asking with the intention and desire to learn, not to denigrate the traditions that have undoubtedly helped countless beings achieve Buddhahood, and will undoubtedly help more in the future.

My point is that: Could the empowerment, like concepts such as past, present, future, be only that in themselves and nothing more? If I recall the teachings of Machig Labdron correctly (it is possible I have misunderstood something in my reading of her texts), aren't all phenomenon, including all forms of tantra and sutra, only concepts that have power because we have given them power in our own minds? In which case, where is the inherent strength of any empowerment but in how we react to it in our mind's experience of the world?

Asking with the desire to learn. Thank you for your consideration and time. Please feel free to DM me if you do not want your reply public.

Return to “Buddhist Tantra Talk”