Nicer/Better/Best Devanagari Sanskrit font?

Looking for translations, or for help with translations and transliterations? This is the place.
kirtu
Former staff member

Nicer/Better/Best Devanagari Sanskrit font?

Post by kirtu »

I'm putting together a personal glossary in Devanagari Sanskrit, Pali (using roman letters for now), Classical Chinese and Tibetan. I'm using LibreOffice Writer to get started (shortly, later, I'll put everything in a database and pull everything from there into a html based app).

What is a nice Sanskrit font? The default fonts that I have slants Devanagari to the right. That's okay but it makes it a little difficult to read some letters (म for example). Another font, Teko Semibold, presents Devanagari in bold and eliminates most of the difficult to read problem but then makes some other letters difficult to read (ग for example).

Do you have any suggestions for better/nicer/best Devanagari fonts? I haven't yet found a font in LibreOffice that just presents Devanagari like it's rendered in Chrome by default, for example, just straight (म, ग <- technically I need a picture to represent this but 99+% of Chrome browsers nowadays will represent this the same, nice way).

Thanks!
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Re: Nicer/Better/Best Devanagari Sanskrit font?

Post by kirtu »

I have installed the Chandas font which seems to have solved the problem.
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Return to “Language”