Rushdie.

A place to post videos, pictures, and any other sort of Buddhist or non-Buddhist media.
Giovanni

Rushdie.

Post by Giovanni »

So 30 years after the Fatwa, Salman Rushdie was been gravely injured in a knife attack by a young man of Iranian origin. As I write he is in Intensive Care unable to speak, and will probably lose an eye. The attack happened while he was delivering a lecture at an arts center in N.Y.
Sādhaka

Re: Rushdie.

Post by Sādhaka »

It seems the main theme of his Satanic Verses is more or less based on Allāt, Al-Uzza, and Manāt. These goddesses are interesting.

Then there’s the idea that the Black Stone in the Ka’aba of Mecca is or originally was a Shiva Lingam. Of course ‘Cabalistically’ this is related to Binah and Saturn.

Anyhow, I don’t know much about Salman Rushdie or what his intentions are, however I hope that he fully recovers and gets to keep his eye.
Last edited by Sādhaka on Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

It isn't like I've never heard of Salman Rushdie, but I don't really know anything about him. He wrote a book and people were offended and he has been getting death threats for decades. I think more people should read. It doesn't matter what they choose as long as I don't have to read the same stuff. So I had an extra credit on Audible and I plan to try Satanic Verses. It says the book is over 21 hours.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

The satanic verses isn’t that good. Midnights Children is much better.
Shinjin

Post by Shinjin »

It took 30 years for the idiots to get to him and they still couldn't get the job done. May he make a swift recovery.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

I’ve read everything he’s published—Midnight’s Children is a solid rec. for a first read, if you’re interested. His “autobiography” of sorts, Robert Anton, gives a unique perspective into his life in hiding. The news is sad, and I hope he recovers as best he can.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

Now I have a copy of Midnight's Children. I'll start there, thanks.
mystic_poet

Post by mystic_poet »

i recommend his short story book, 'east west'.

Return to “Media”