"Past-life regression" in Tibetan Buddhism?

Kai lord

Re: "Past-life regression" in Tibetan Buddhism?

Post by Kai lord »

Malcolm wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 6:08 pm
Actually, there is not word "energy" that corresponds to a specific word in Tibetan or Sanskrit other than nus pa/shakti. The Greek antecedents means "interior work."

In this case, air, fire, and water all possess energy, but they are not "energy." The air element in the body is not quite the same as the outer air element, as it is refined through the lungs, and so on. However, each of the five elements also possesses five elements. Even consciousness possesses the five elements. Even pristine consciousness possesses the five elements. Everything is made of the five elements, from the most gross physical entity to the most subtle layers of consciousness. There is nothing that is not made of the five elements.
Same for Sambhogakaya isn't it? Since its comprised of five lights which can be seen as the basis for the five elements.

Also in Kalachakra, I notice space is being listed as the fifth element instead of consciousness and that space element is directly related to its empty form. Guess it has its own unique alternate system.
The other schools of Tibetan Buddhism assert that one's ordinary body instead transforms into its real nature as gnosis light.
As in the body of light or Jalu? Some claimed the former is used in mother tantra and latter is used for Thogal and then some think the opposite is true, making me confused between the two terminologies.

The term "body of light" occurs in texts such as the sgra thal gyur. The term rainbow body occurs in no canonical text in either Kanjur or Nyingma Gyudbum. It occurs once in a Tenjur text attributed to Naropa, translated by Marpa.

'ja' lus is basically a Tibetan colloquial term for 'od kyi lus, as far as I can tell. It is primarily a Nyingma concept, which occurs almost exclusively in Dzogchen tantras.
:thanks: By letting me know the textual origins of the two terminologies, really clear up my confusion.

At the end of the day, Sambhogakaya is Sambhogakaya, never really figure out why so many different names are used to describe the same result in so many different systems.
Life is like a game, either you win or lose!
Life is like a fight, either you live or die!
Life is like a show, either you laugh or cry!
Life is like a dream, either you know or not!!!
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Sādhaka wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 6:38 pm
Malcolm wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 6:33 pmIf someone realized the body of light, the illusory body is superfluous.

Yes and no. It depends.
No it doesn't. Illusory body is definitely considered a result inferior to the body of light. Why? Illusory body is merely a body of vāyu and mind (rlung sems) appearing as the deity, it is relative and compounded. It's a stage in the completion stage. The body of light, on the other hand, is result of thogal, when all the coarse elements of the revert into their original nature as ye shes, pristine consciousness.
Kai lord

Post by Kai lord »

Sādhaka wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 6:24 pm I’ve gleaned that although Illusory Body and the Body of Light are not the same; they’re also not mutually-exclusive.

In other words, one or both can be attained; and one could even be attained before the other and vice-versa…. Although I don’t think that I’d want to say more on the topic.
Really? The former involves the eventual abandonment of your gross Nirmāṇakāya body while the latter karmic exhausts it resulting in its "disappearance". Really tough for me to visualize how both processes can be merged into one.
Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka »

Malcolm,

You’re not wrong there of course.

Yet I still say “Yes and no. It depends” (with Kai Lord’s above post in mind as as well).

Like I’d said though, I don’t really want to say more on this here.
Kai lord

Post by Kai lord »

Malcolm wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:04 pm
Sādhaka wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 6:38 pm
Malcolm wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 6:33 pmIf someone realized the body of light, the illusory body is superfluous.

Yes and no. It depends.
No it doesn't. Illusory body is definitely considered a result inferior to the body of light. Why? Illusory body is merely a body of vāyu and mind (rlung sems) appearing as the deity, it is relative and compounded. It's a stage in the completion stage. The body of light, on the other hand, is result of thogal, when all the coarse elements of the revert into their original nature as ye shes, pristine consciousness.
Reminds me of the age old debate that clear light is not rigpa but a subtle form of sems.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Kai lord wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:11 pm Reminds me of the age old debate that clear light is not rigpa but a subtle form of sems.
Everyone possess this mind of clear light. Not everyone possesses rigpa (knowledge of the basis). That's the difference. The subtle mind of clear light in Geluk school is their name for what is termed in Dzogchen, "the basis," that is, one's unfabricated mind.
Kai lord

Post by Kai lord »

Malcolm wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:25 pm
Kai lord wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:11 pm Reminds me of the age old debate that clear light is not rigpa but a subtle form of sems.
Everyone possess this mind of clear light. Not everyone possesses rigpa (knowledge of the basis). That's the difference. The subtle mind of clear light in Geluk school is their name for what is termed in Dzogchen, "the basis," that is, one's unfabricated mind.
So clear light being the nature of mind is alaya (gzhi) ?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Kai lord wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:39 pm
Well, in Dzogchen terms, the ālaya and the gzhi (sthana) are different. The former is the nature of ignorance and the collector of traces. The basis is not a collector of traces.
Kai lord

Post by Kai lord »

Malcolm wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:08 pm
Kai lord wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:39 pm

Well, in Dzogchen terms, the ālaya and the gzhi (sthana) are different. The former is the nature of ignorance and the collector of traces. The basis is not a collector of traces.
:thanks: I need to digest all this as I'm sure you already know, Sakya has a core definition on alaya that seems different. I will be contemplating on how to differentiate them both in my mind now.
fckw

Post by fckw »

Sādhaka wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 6:38 pm Yes and no. It depends. I made reference to this in a post some months ago in the Bön subforum I believe; but as always, these kinds of discussions on an open forum are an slippery-slope
And they would be less of slippery-slope if they would be discussed in a closed forum? I'm just asking because from what I've seen whenever you try to dig REALLY deep you won't find satisfactory answers, just different explanations or interpretations that are never fully compatible with each other.
Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka »

fckw wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:06 pm And they would be less of slippery-slope if they would be discussed in a closed forum?

Yes, because some things are only supposed to be discussed between people who have received Empowerment, or in some cases who have received Empowerment form the same teacher or even who have received the same specific practice.

I'm just asking because from what I've seen whenever you try to dig REALLY deep you won't find satisfactory answers, just different explanations or interpretations that are never fully compatible with each other.

I see what you mean. I struggle with the same thing regarding some aspects of the teachings. Anyhow, if you’re interested specifically in things that I’ve mentioned here, feel free to send me a PM
Kai lord

Post by Kai lord »

Sādhaka wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:39 pm I see what you mean. I struggle with the same thing regarding some aspects of the teachings. Anyhow, if you’re interested specifically in things that I’ve mentioned here, feel free to send me a PM
I like how they use a rather scientific approach to the practices in which everyone have their own subjective experiences of what happened and then they developed their own interpretations of what happened.

In one way, thats good as it allows different systems of practices to form in the past and more freedom for us to choose which systems and interpretations we prefer and best suited to our conditions.
amatadundubhiril

Post by amatadundubhiril »

PeterC wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:50 am It’s an extremely common request from early students to lamas - everyone wants some exciting story about how they were a king in Oddiyana or a Deva or something
They may think that is what they want to hear, but the truth would touch them more and feel more meaningful. The life of a serf is so much more than that. They had their families and people they cared about. Their joys, their sorrows, their faith. Tragedies and spiritual victories. All the depth and complexity of a human life. In fact, my impression from what I've observed is that people who have had real past life regressions (in contrast to mere fantasies) do not generally find the experience any less moving and profound just because they remember having been an "ordinary" person. Indeed, a real past life regression evoking the memories of an "ordinary" life (and many people have done that) will be far more powerful than a false fantasy of having been something exceptional, in terms of awakening deep emotions, insight and understanding etc. And I think what many people really want is that. It can truly be one of the most helpful tools to know ourselves.
PeterC wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:50 am but every time I’ve heard someone make it, which is many times, the lama asked has always been categorical in saying this isn’t a useful thing to chase after.
Regarding the statistical probability of having been an insect: Not really. An insect can never be the cause of a human birth. How would an insect produce the karma, the merits or the realizations required to be born as a human being? It just doesn't happen. Beings are not reborn randomly, but according to precise causes and conditions. There's a far greater statistical probability of having been a Deva or a king of Oddiyana in recent lives than an insect; in the case of the Deva because its consciousness is advanced enough to be able to access the human state, unlike the insect. It isn't that hard to find someone with a Deva background (I know about some myself – but to be honest rather low-ranking ones, less than insects in the Reality), especially not in circles of serious spiritual seekers, but I'd be very interested in seeing your insect-men, for I don't know about any. Nevertheless, past lives as various other kinds of non-human beings ("aliens" if you will) above the animal-level ('above' insofar as having the faculties of reason and speech, for example, and thus more freedom of will) is probably more common than the Deva connection. That's still very interesting.
PeterC wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:50 am Past life regression is generally a hoax. Statistically the odds are that you were a serf or an insect. But I guess people wouldn’t pay money for that sort of story.
Let's face it: Some of these gurus dismiss it thus simply because they don't have the power of easily awakening such memories in people, nor do they have the clairvoyance siddhis of effortlessly seeing into other people's past and telling them something useful about it either, and they don't want to admit they aren't able to because it exposes the rather low limit of their realization. For those who actually have that realization and power, however, it can serve as a highly effective upaya when teaching people in a way tailored to them personally, lessons they will never forget, by touching directly on something deeply personal which they need to remember -- whether they want it or fear it. A Dharma teaching involving the context of a fateful past life incident of great importance to the being will certainly make a far deeper impression than some standard teaching which anyone can learn to deliver on rote. It would help to awaken deeper consciousness, memory, knowledge. So for someone having the power, this is more skillful than the mere dismissal of those cases you referred to. It's how I would have responded and used it if I were a teacher and able to: not for the entertainment value, but in a way which is actually helpful.

The Tathagata surely didn't say that knowledge of past lives should be dismissed as unimportant and not to be concerned with. A quick glance at some of the earliest texts recording the words of the historical Buddha Shakyamuni should suffice to settle that question once and for all. He repeatedly emphasized the review and knowledge of his past lives as having served a major role in the process of his awakening and enlightenment. From Sujato's translation of the Majjhima Nikaya, for example (his rendering isn't my favourite, but it's the text I had at hand now):
"When my mind had become immersed in samādhi like this — purified, bright, flawless, rid of corruptions, pliable, workable, steady, and imperturbable — I extended it toward recollection of past lives. I recollected many kinds of past lives. That is: one, two, three, four, five, ten, twenty, thirty, forty, fifty, a hundred, a thousand, a hundred thousand rebirths; many eons of the world contracting, many eons of the world expanding, many eons of the world contracting and expanding. I remembered: ‘There, I was named this, my clan was that, I looked like this, and that was my food. This was how I felt pleasure and pain, and that was how my life ended. When I passed away from that place I was reborn somewhere else. There, too, I was named this, my clan was that, I looked like this, and that was my food. This was how I felt pleasure and pain, and that was how my life ended. When I passed away from that place I was reborn here.’ And so I recollected my many kinds of past lives, with features and details. This was the first knowledge, which I achieved in the first watch of the night. Ignorance was destroyed and knowledge arose; darkness was destroyed and light arose, as happens for a meditator who is diligent, keen, and resolute."
(At various instances throughout the text he repeats a similar formula applying to others who follow his path, too.)

As you see, the Bhagavan must have placed a lot of weight on the value of this knowledge for the awakening, as he didn't stop at remembering just a few past lives, or even a thousand. We also know that Buddha often used to mention various past life incidents and connections relevant to the people he conversed with. That's because he had the power of clairvoyant insight to do so effortlessly, and obviously considered it useful or helpful to mention in many cases. That really says it all. No contemporary Buddhist guru can know better than Shakyamuni.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

amatadundubhiril wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:48 pm
Regarding the statistical probability of having been an insect: Not really. An insect can never be the cause of a human birth. How would an insect produce the karma, the merits or the realizations required to be born as a human being? It just doesn't happen.
Sure they can, it just takes much longer to generate positive karma in the animal realm. And because there are some tens of billions more insects than humans, the even if we have a much higher prior probability of being in a higher realm, I would expect the conditional probability of the prior life being insect will be higher than of being human.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Let's face it: Some of these gurus dismiss it
Śākyamuni dismissed it. The whole reason he taught dependent origination, "Where this exists, that exists," etc., was in response to monks pestering him about who they were in past lives. In the Abhidharmakośabhaṣya, vol. 2, pg. 406, "Whoever, Oh Bhikṣus, knows through prajñā, pratītyasamutpāda, and the dharmas produced through dependence, will not turn himself towards the past by asking if he existed..."

The simple fact is that we took birth in this life due to affliction and karma, and we will continue to do so if we do not eliminate karma and affliction.
Parsifal

Post by Parsifal »

PeterC wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:45 pm
Regarding the statistical probability of having been an insect: Not really. An insect can never be the cause of a human birth. How would an insect produce the karma, the merits or the realizations required to be born as a human being? It just doesn't happen.
Sure they can, it just takes much longer to generate positive karma in the animal realm. And because there are some tens of billions more insects than humans, the even if we have a much higher prior probability of being in a higher realm, I would expect the conditional probability of the prior life being insect will be higher than of being human.
Hello PeterC, I would like you to give me some opportunities to ask about Zhuangzi you referred to some times in the past. Since I joined here just this month, I do not have enough knowledge about how to participate in a specific discussion, but please do me a favor. What I want to learn from you is how Japanese Buddhism, especially Pure Land and Zen developed by incorporating his idea about monism. Thank you in advance.
lhaksam.dorje

Post by lhaksam.dorje »

dpcalder wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:36 am
mahabuddha wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:56 pm I don't think vajrayana thinks it's necessary or beneficial, practitioners can barely sit on a cushion to meditate and still scream at other drivers in traffic, what use if past lives if we're not fixing the current one?
This is a good point, but the idea is that he is guided to past lives to encounter the occasion on which he created his karma in order to dissolve the karma associated with them
Why do you need to know the occasion ?
Just do lots of Vajrasattva and all of the stuff will come up for you in the here and now, the occasion it was planted is a bit irrelevant to it being purified, you don't purify it then, you purify it now :-)
Not a helpful answer to your question I know, sorry about that :oops:
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

Regarding the statistical probability of having been an insect: Not really. An insect can never be the cause of a human birth. How would an insect produce the karma, the merits or the realizations required to be born as a human being? It just doesn't happen. Beings are not reborn randomly, but according to precise causes and conditions. There's a far greater statistical probability of having been a Deva or a king of Oddiyana in recent lives than an insect; in the case of the Deva because its consciousness is advanced enough to be able to access the human state, unlike the insect. It isn't that hard to find someone with a Deva background (I know about some myself – but to be honest rather low-ranking ones, less than insects in the Reality), especially not in circles of serious spiritual seekers, but I'd be very interested in seeing your insect-men, for I don't know about any. Nevertheless, past lives as various other kinds of non-human beings ("aliens" if you will) above the animal-level ('above' insofar as having the faculties of reason and speech, for example, and thus more freedom of will) is probably more common than the Deva connection. That's still very interesting.
I am sure that insects are not so far from humans as you would think. They have same basic needs and patterns of behavior as humans have. I mean food, shelter, mating, offspring, large gatherings, 'enemies' and 'friends'.
Also, if you look at the stages your being has gone through in the beginning of this life after fertilization, you have gone through all the basic stages of different animal kinds.
People in shamanism are or have been able to get some experience of life as an insect. If you believe their experiences. I think they are valid. And their view is that insects are not totally alien to human existence.
If human babies are brought up by wolves, bears, monkeys or other animals, they learn behave like the members of those animal groups. They learn to identify themselves with those species.
"Humanity" is largely a matter of culture.

[Mod note Oct 2023: If you want to revive this discussion, please start a new thread with a link to this one.
Topic locked.
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)

Return to “Nyingma”