Torzay

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Arnoud

Re: Torzay

Post by Arnoud »

naljor wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:38 pm Brahmin? What is the benefit?
I guess they are somewhat of the ultimate kriya tantra yogi and so this substance will be incredibly pure. I wonder if it means seven generations really.
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Below is just one Tibetan account of the effects of the flesh of someone born a Brahmin seven times.

According to lineage histories, the great Terton Orgyen Lingpa was one of these special beings who has born seven times as a Brahmin. When an aristocrat named Kurap requested and tasted a tiny bit of Orgyen Lingpa’s flesh after the great master had died, he blazed with mystical experience, and was even able to levitate above the ground. Such is held to be the great power and blessing of materials such as this.

There's so much about Vajrayana that we "Westerners" have no or little idea about.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
naljor

Post by naljor »

But, i think Brahmin is just symbol, it has nothing to do with caste system in India no? Orgyen Lingpa flash is part of mnyondrol so it probably
means achieving realization in seven lifetimes.
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

No, dram-ze kyed-dun is actually the flesh from someone born a Brahmin seven consecutive times.
not_z

Post by not_z »

How is someone born 7 times a brahmin identified?
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Through clairvoyance
n8pee

Post by n8pee »

pemachophel wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:35 pm There's so much about Vajrayana that we "Westerners" have no or little idea about.
I feel so grateful that we have representatives like yourself who have carried these traditions to the West. My personal aspiration is that these teachings will continue to flourish in this world despite this degenerate age. May your greatest yearnings and deepest aspirations be fulfilled!
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

pemachophel wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:39 pm No, dram-ze kyed-dun is actually the flesh from someone born a Brahmin seven consecutive times.
Out of academic curiousity, what is the definition of a brahmin?

Is it literally the indian brahmin born into a brahmin family and keeping the brahmin lifestyle? Or is it a cultural equivalent, like someone being born into a religious family, keeping pure religious life, etc?
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

Also within the Hindu tradition there is some kind of idea of sanctity/purity regarding 7 times born Brahmins so I am sure it just refers to Brahmins.
I should check but I think besides clairvoyance they also use astrology to determine these things.
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Yes, I believe this idea is common to "Hinduism." It does mean Brahmin. I don't know about astrology, but could certainly be so. As I said, in the Tibetan tradition, this flesh is usually revealed as terma. For instance, a contemporary Terton in Kham revealed a stash maybe 8-10 years ago. He then made pills out it. During the consecration, it is said these pills fell from the sky for several miles/kilometers around. He also made amulets from a small stupa mold similar to amulets made by the great Nyagla Pema Dudul. These can be worn and also placed in small stupas. All are highly sought after.

Please don't ask for this Terton;'s name or whereabouts. He has asked not to be mentioned by name on the Internet.
yagmort

Post by yagmort »

pemachophel wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:58 pm I belong to a ngagpa lineage...
pemachophel, could you elaborate a little more about this lineage? if i recall you mentioned your root guru was of Longchen Nyinthig? if i remember your story of meeting him when you was after Milarepa lifestyle of living in the cave, doing tummo, eating nettle and then you've met your teacher?
pemachophel wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:02 pm ...He has asked not to be mentioned by name on the Internet
is anything can be said about his termas?
stay open, spread love
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Yagmort,

After more than 50 years in the Dharma, I have many Teachers. So I think you are conflating some of these. Yes, my original Teacher was Longchen Nyingthig and my Three Roots were Longchen Nyingthig. I still do many Longchen Nyingthig practices. But the ngakpa lineage I mentioned is through the late Acharya Lama Dawa Chodrak. He is the Teacher I learned about substances from. I have never received any terma from the Terton in Kham I mentioned. Other teachings but not any of His terma. He is also very much a ngakpa. His lineage runs through the late Osal Dorje, Ngala Jangchub Dorje, and back to Ngala Pema Dudul.

Sorry, never lived in a cave and ate nettles. Have lived in the wild and eaten rice and beans.
yagmort

Post by yagmort »

thanks for the response!

regarding termas i was asking about do you know if there are any related to practices?
pemachophel wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:41 pm ...Sorry, never lived in a cave and ate nettles. Have lived in the wild and eaten rice and beans.
i think you have talked about your intentions, not that you actually did that)
here, found the post i was thinking about:
pemachophel wrote: Mon May 09, 2011 3:59 pm ...When I started out on my spiritual journey, I had every intention of becoming a Kagyud. That's what I thought was right for me. I wanted to do tummo, lots of tsa-lung, live in caves, eat nettles -- the whole nine yards...
stay open, spread love
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Yagmort,

Yes, this Terton's terma include practices. A Dharma friend recently told me he had just done one of this Terton's tshe-gug (hooking life) practices.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”