"Becoming Who I Was" - yangsi expelled from monastery?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
kirtu
Former staff member

"Becoming Who I Was" - yangsi expelled from monastery?

Post by kirtu »

In the documentary "Becoming Who I Was", a Ladakhi boy, Padma Angdu, was recognized and enthroned as a tulku in 2010. There's even a brief interview with the lama who may have formally recognized him, Atak Rinpoche, who claimed that he and the previous incarnation were close spiritual friends in the previous life. Padma is given the name Dzogchen Gurmet Naton Wangbo (using the transliteration from the film - we would transliterate this more like Dzogchen Gyurme Naton Wangpo). So perhaps he was recognized as a Dzogchen Monastery tulku?

However he is later expelled from the monastery he was associated with in Ladakh because the monks from his previous monastery "didn't come for him". So it seems at a certain point the boy was essentially abandoned (except not completely and not by him godfather who was raising him or his mother).

Does this make sense? I've never heard of such a thing.

In some articles online, not written by Buddhists but often including the Korean directors of the film, it is stated that there were discipline problems with the boy. Isn't it more likely that he was expelled due to these issues?

Thanks!
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
heart

Re: "Becoming Who I Was" - yangsi expelled from monastery?

Post by heart »

kirtu wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:49 pm In the documentary "Becoming Who I Was", a Ladakhi boy, Padma Angdu, was recognized and enthroned as a tulku in 2010. There's even a brief interview with the lama who may have formally recognized him, Atak Rinpoche, who claimed that he and the previous incarnation were close spiritual friends in the previous life. Padma is given the name Dzogchen Gurmet Naton Wangbo (using the transliteration from the film - we would transliterate this more like Dzogchen Gyurme Naton Wangpo). So perhaps he was recognized as a Dzogchen Monastery tulku?

However he is later expelled from the monastery he was associated with in Ladakh because the monks from his previous monastery "didn't come for him". So it seems at a certain point the boy was essentially abandoned (except not completely and not by him godfather who was raising him or his mother).

Does this make sense? I've never heard of such a thing.

In some articles online, not written by Buddhists but often including the Korean directors of the film, it is stated that there were discipline problems with the boy. Isn't it more likely that he was expelled due to these issues?

Thanks!
I met a female tulku that no monastery or Rinpoche would take care of although everyone agreed about her being a tulku.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Gurmet Tulku sounds like a great chef name.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
stoneinfocus

Post by stoneinfocus »

Tulshuk Lingpa's yangsi was not enthroned despite being recognized, and he left the monastery to live a normal, if somewhat troubled, life (but as last heard from, wanted to go back to Dharma more seriously).

Not the same, but the idea is that these sorts of things happen. A tulku is not enthroned. A tulku is abandoned. A tulku leaves the Dharma. A "tulku" becomes a Russian spokesperson in Ukraine (*cough Steven Seagal cough*).

Even a Khyentse tulku (Khyentse Chokyi Wangchuk, uncle of Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche) was essentially thrown aside in favor of Khyentse Chokyi Lodro. Politics, corruption, human nonsense, etc...results in some weird things happening.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

stoneinfocus wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:14 pm Tulshuk Lingpa's yangsi was not enthroned despite being recognized, and he left the monastery to live a normal, if somewhat troubled, life (but as last heard from, wanted to go back to Dharma more seriously).

Not the same, but the idea is that these sorts of things happen. A tulku is not enthroned. A tulku is abandoned. A tulku leaves the Dharma. A "tulku" becomes a Russian spokesperson in Ukraine (*cough Steven Seagal cough*).

Even a Khyentse tulku (Khyentse Chokyi Wangchuk, uncle of Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche) was essentially thrown aside in favor of Khyentse Chokyi Lodro. Politics, corruption, human nonsense, etc...results in some weird things happening.
The institution of tulkus is irredeemably corrupt.
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

stoneinfocus wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:14 pm Tulshuk Lingpa's yangsi was not enthroned despite being recognized, and he left the monastery to live a normal, if somewhat troubled, life (but as last heard from, wanted to go back to Dharma more seriously).

Even enthroned tulkus sometime disappear.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
Terma

Post by Terma »

Malcolm wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:07 pm

The institution of tulkus is irredeemably corrupt.
Absolutely agree. Wouldn't it be so much better to rely on serious practioner's that have great knowledge of the different aspects of the teachings and (preferably) some actual attainment from practice to pass the lineages' Dharma to the next generation?

I remember years ago DJKR saying that the main Sakya monasteries were great "Khenpo factories" but was lamenting at the lack of serious practitioners.
Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

I watched the movie on Apple. Interesting story. Wonder what became of him. I hope he continues his studies.
Kai lord

Post by Kai lord »

Terma wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:02 am I remember years ago DJKR saying that the main Sakya monasteries were great "Khenpo factories" but was lamenting at the lack of serious practitioners.
Funny, I read the same thing about Nyingma lacking serious practitioners since it was said that while Nyingma have numerous complete practice cycles from the terma and kama but many Nyingmapas don't seem to practice any of those on a daily basis beyond the minimum requirements.
Absolutely agree. Wouldn't it be so much better to rely on serious practioner's that have great knowledge of the different aspects of the teachings and (preferably) some actual attainment from practice to pass the lineages' Dharma to the next generation?
Ideally, every practitioner should be treated equally and fairly. If Tulkus truly have the talents, they will surely excel in their practices faster than others and become a source of inspiration for the slower ones to look up to.

Thats if we are living in an ideal world.
Life is like a game, either you win or lose!
Life is like a fight, either you live or die!
Life is like a show, either you laugh or cry!
Life is like a dream, either you know or not!!!

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”