Torzay

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Lingpupa

Torzay

Post by Lingpupa »

Does anyone know a good source of torzay in Europe?
All best wishes

"The profundity of your devotion to your lama is not measured by your ability to turn a blind eye."
zerwe

Re: Torzay

Post by zerwe »

Only one I am aware of would be

https://magiedubouddha.com/

I believe somewhere in there the give some information about the source.

Shaun :namaste:
Knotty Veneer

Post by Knotty Veneer »

This is not the wrong life.
Lingpupa

Post by Lingpupa »

Thanks to you both for confirming - that was the only place I had found.

And everything looks fine until you get to the payment page itself, when you discover that it is not shipped from France within 2 days as stated on an early page, but is shipped from Thailand for a further EUR 18, plus lord-knows what taxes the authorities (Italian, in my case) will add on when it actually arrives.

Bad practice, if you ask me!
All best wishes

"The profundity of your devotion to your lama is not measured by your ability to turn a blind eye."
Kunga

Post by Kunga »

Or you could just use a little of the three whites and three sweets, or alcohol and nectar pill depending on the tormas you're making. At least that's what I've been taught.
Lingpupa

Post by Lingpupa »

Kunga wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:06 am Or you could just use a little of the three whites and three sweets, or alcohol and nectar pill depending on the tormas you're making. At least that's what I've been taught.
Well they are standard ingredients for tormas that will be eaten. Torzay, however is rather more specialized and a LOT more complicated!
Though I need to hold off judgement for a bit. It *might* be that the business is run from Thailand but using some kind of fulfilment operation in France. I don't yet know.
All best wishes

zerwe

Post by zerwe »

Lingpupa wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:18 pm
Kunga wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:06 am Or you could just use a little of the three whites and three sweets, or alcohol and nectar pill depending on the tormas you're making. At least that's what I've been taught.
Well they are standard ingredients for tormas that will be eaten. Torzay, however is rather more specialized and a LOT more complicated!
Though I need to hold off judgement for a bit. It *might* be that the business is run from Thailand but using some kind of fulfilment operation in France. I don't yet know.
I have ordered from them here in the States, but yes if that is the case, the carbon footprint for the product is not terrific. :thinking:

Have you considered checking with Instituto Lama Tsongkhapa? Or some of the places in Austria/Switzerland?

Shaun :namaste:
Lingpupa

Post by Lingpupa »

Thanks for the idea Shaun. The ILTK shop looks closed for the duration, but otherwise I've been relying on Google. I guess I could make direct inquiries.
All best wishes

Lingpupa

Post by Lingpupa »

So there was some confusion. The package came to me (in Italy) from France, not Thailand, with no added import duty shenanigans.

There is still some uncertainty about the postal charge, but otherwise everything seems fine!
All best wishes

zerwe

Post by zerwe »

:thumbsup:
Lingpupa

Post by Lingpupa »

AND... I sent a mail querying the size of the shipping charge, and got a quick answer saying, essentially, "Ooops..." and promising me a refund.

So it's sunshine all the way, and I'll be happy to shop from buddhas-magic / magiedubouddha again.

:twothumbsup:
All best wishes

Kunga

Post by Kunga »

Lingpupa wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:18 pm
I know it has a lot of ingredients, the question is is it really necessary? I know many lamas here from all schools and they don't bother with it, as I wrote above. Seems like a lot of faff for something you could do yourself?
Lingpupa

Post by Lingpupa »

Is it necessary? Is anything necessary? When the text says it should include torzay, I do my best to include some. There is no realistic way I could get those ingredients together myself. If I can't get it, I do my best to substitute.

PS The company did send the refund for the excess postage promptly.
All best wishes

pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

I belong to a ngagpa lineage which believes that substances are very important for getting the right result. Mantra, mudra, substances, and samadhi combine together to produce the accomplishment. If one is missing, it makes success more difficult. (Here I'm talking about common siddhi, not supreme siddhi.) My Teacher was very much against substitutions. We try very, very hard to get all the right substances for our practices, sometimes taking years, may cost a lot of money, and may be difficult. For us, the hunt for substances is itself a practice. We categorize it under the paramita of perseverance (tsondru). However, it also true that many substances are getting harder and harder to source. This is part of the degeneration of the dark age. It is one reason why siddhi are harder and harder to manifest. This style of ngagpa practice is also less and less common in my experience. Also my experience that very few Western practitioners know much about this. So easy as an outside to poo-poo it.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Lingpupa

Post by Lingpupa »

:good:
All best wishes

lelopa

Post by lelopa »

Is there a substitute for the flesh of a Brahmin born 7 times?
Like tea & wine for Rakta & Amrita.
Lost In Transmission
Terma

Post by Terma »

pemachophel wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:58 pm I belong to a ngagpa lineage which believes that substances are very important for getting the right result. Mantra, mudra, substances, and samadhi combine together to produce the accomplishment. If one is missing, it makes success more difficult. (Here I'm talking about common siddhi, not supreme siddhi.) My Teacher was very much against substitutions. We try very, very hard to get all the right substances for our practices, sometimes taking years, may cost a lot of money, and may be difficult. For us, the hunt for substances is itself a practice. We categorize it under the paramita of perseverance (tsondru). However, it also true that many substances are getting harder and harder to source. This is part of the degeneration of the dark age. It is one reason why siddhi are harder and harder to manifest. This style of ngagpa practice is also less and less common in my experience. Also my experience that very few Western practitioners know much about this. So easy as an outside to poo-poo it.
:good:
It sure is a slippery slope, especially with some of these substances available to purchase online. Many people don't have the means (merit) to obtain authentic resources and turn to online sellers. But I have been advised that this is not a good practice, since we don't know much about how the ingredients were procured, how the substances were made, according to the proper consecration rituals, and so-forth.

My teacher told me to ask him for anything I might need practice related as to avoid this kind of problem and he will do his best to help.
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

No, there is no substitute for the flesh of someone born a Brahmin seven consecutive times. Typically Tibetans get this from terma sources. I can tell you from personal experience it is a very, very powerful substance. Extremely precious and highly sought after.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
naljor

Post by naljor »

Brahmin? What is the benefit?
lelopa

Post by lelopa »

pemachophel wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:37 pm No, there is no substitute for the flesh of someone born a Brahmin seven consecutive times. Typically Tibetans get this from terma sources. I can tell you from personal experience it is a very, very powerful substance. Extremely precious and highly sought after.
:thanks:
Lost In Transmission

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”