Ley Bum (Bumpa) - How to keep it clean !

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
costarican13

Ley Bum (Bumpa) - How to keep it clean !

Post by costarican13 »

Hello everyone,

May I kindly ask how most of you preserve the saffron water infused with bumzey ? Do you add any essential oils or else ?

Thank you :twothumbsup: :smile: :thanks: :thanks:
pemachophel

Re: Ley Bum (Bumpa) - How to keep it clean !

Post by pemachophel »

I was taught you can add more fresh water five times. Then you have to empty, refill, and reconsecrate.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
dzoki

Post by dzoki »

Before using saffron water it is good to boil it for some time, this gets rid of any bacteria and fungi that are on the saffron and which make saffron water go quickly stale. You boil it for at least 15 minutes, then let it cool and then it is ready for use. Apart from that, of course, do as Lama Pema wrote above.
drodul

Post by drodul »

How do you consecrate it?
zerwe

Post by zerwe »

Slightly off topic, but related. If you are making a number of offering sets (i.e., during retreats, etc...) I make a concentrated saffron water that I then keep in the refrigerator it stays fresh for about a week, maybe more. You add 7-10 drops or so per gallon of water to get a beautiful golden color.

Shaun :namaste:
stoneinfocus

Post by stoneinfocus »

drodul wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:15 am How do you consecrate it?
Each tradition has consecration practices and mantras to consecrate the bumpa. Something you can request of your teacher.
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

IME, bumpa consecration comes when doing one's Three Roots. You have to be able to generate a/the Deity within the vase. As already suggested, ask your Teacher. Till then, just fill the bumpa with saffron water and/or bum-dze.

Good luck & best wishes.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
costarican13

Post by costarican13 »

Greetings to everyone,

Thank you for all your answers. I will apply what has been said and will give my feedback. As the specific consecration, I will keep this for myself, sorry. Again, thank you all ! :heart:

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”