How to type mantra letters in standard tibetan on mac?

Looking for translations, or for help with translations and transliterations? This is the place.
virtus11

How to type mantra letters in standard tibetan on mac?

Post by virtus11 »

Hi,

How to type HUNG (with candra and bind) in standard tibetan whily on Mac?
Same question for other mantra syllables, like {kshya, etc}.
I couldn't figure it out :(

Thank you!
virtus11

Re: How to type mantra letters in standard tibetan on mac?

Post by virtus11 »

I've checked all these pages before, there is a lot of information but no answer to my question. For instance, When I'm trying to type HUNG, using standard Tibetan on mac, a) I don't see how i can add candra b)the bindhu is also sort of off the center.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Use Character Viewer when all else fails and choose what you want. But the Keyboard viewer has the little bindu....not sure where the candra is but I found it before....I will look.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

This works...

Using Character Viewer --you have to add Tibetan to the list of available "characters" then just find what you need and double click on it. I used the keyboard for everything but the tippy top.

ཧཱུྃ

Something like that...
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Spiritmirror

Post by Spiritmirror »

I registered just for the purpose of answering this, although it's a bit old.

You add a Tibetan input method the same way you add any other alternate keyboard on a Mac. The tricky part comes when you have to type. If you're using the Wylie input method, which might be the most common one, it involves a mix of upper and lower-case letters (and sometimes other symbols, like ~ or +) depending on what you want to achieve.

For example, the hum/hung letter you're asking for would be spelled hU~M.

Long story short, you just have to examine the Wylie keyboard layout. The following page has a number of resources I've used in the past: http://www.thlib.org/reference/translit ... ption.html. Something you can do is take a text that's written in Tibetan, "convert" it to Wylie, and examine that.

This one is also helpful, I think... you may already have seen it, but if you read closely, it does explain some things: http://digitaltibetan.org/index.php/Tib ... r_Mac_OS-X

I hope this helps.
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

You can use this if you know the Wylie:

http://www.thlib.org/reference/translit ... verter.php

and then copy the output and paste it.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Pema Zangmo

Post by Pema Zangmo »

Thank you for posting the question, and the answers got me closer to figuring out the exact keystrokes using Wylie keyboard on Mac: h, shift a, u, shift~m
*whew!*
Pema Zangmo

Post by Pema Zangmo »

རྃྃཡྃྃཁྃྃ
for the benefit of my own reference, the tilda + m " `m " keystroke adds the aum when and where needed. I had forgotten how to do this and had to look up my previous post to find the keystrokes again! ་་
Sumeru

Post by Sumeru »

On Tibetan QWERTY keyboard
bindu = alt + m
candra + bindu = shift + alt + m

so:

q o alt+m = ཨོཾ
q f a shift+8 = ཨཱཿ
h u shift+alt+m = ཧུྃ
Tsondro-Sennge

Post by Tsondro-Sennge »

in Word, or in Text Edit on Mac, I am still unable to get the candra (crescent). H, shift-U gets the body and subscribed letters, but the shift-m only produces the bindu (without the crescent).

Any advice? I have Word 2011 for Mac.

Also, does anyone know how to get the candra/bindu to appear below a word, as in a name honorific?

Gracias!

Return to “Language”