teachers approachable for a talk in US?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
yagmort

teachers approachable for a talk in US?

Post by yagmort »

asking this on behalf of my friend. he does some meditation, has done several Goenka vipassana courses, generally on the path of spiritual seeking, but knows little of Vajrayana.

the question is are there any lamas/Rinpoches approachable for a sincere talk to discuss his questions and doubts regarding spiritual things to give some possible explanations and feedback from the Vajrayana point of view?

time - July-September
area - Midwest and Cali, but any other locations are also possible
tradition/school - any
stay open, spread love
PadmaVonSamba

Re: teachers approachable for a talk in US?

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Now that covid restrictions are easing up in some areas, more dharma centers will probably be offering teachings but qualified masters. I would do a web search: “buddhist center” + whatever geographic area you are interested in (be more specific than “Midwest”), look at what websites pop up and see what their upcoming events are.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
yagmort

Post by yagmort »

thanks for the tip
stay open, spread love
tingdzin

Post by tingdzin »

There is no single "Vajrayana point of view". Different schools, even different teachers have perspectices which may be widely divergent. This should be kept in mind when listening to teachers.
zerwe

Post by zerwe »

yagmort wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:53 am asking this on behalf of my friend. he does some meditation, has done several Goenka vipassana courses, generally on the path of spiritual seeking, but knows little of Vajrayana.

the question is are there any lamas/Rinpoches approachable for a sincere talk to discuss his questions and doubts regarding spiritual things to give some possible explanations and feedback from the Vajrayana point of view?

time - July-September
area - Midwest and Cali, but any other locations are also possible
tradition/school - any
A couple things/observations.

1) It is not necessarily easy to get a personal private audience with a Lama or Rinpoche, but not impossible.
Your friend may have to slowly cultivate a relationship or connection prior to simply having that type of discussion.

2) Part of the above relationship may first be meeting with a Geshe or Khenpo. This would be easier and could be conducted on a more personal level. It may be all he needs. He would need to attend some teachings and events first and then seek an appointment to meet with a Geshe, Khempo, or Rinpoche.

I am sure others have had different experiences, but for myself this was a process of several months.

3) Depending on tradition, they may not at a detailed level likely openly volunteer explanations or feedback from a Vajrayana point of view as, I would assume, that your friend is not an initiate. They may do so in a broad overview, but graduated path, Bodhicitta and correct view of emptiness is typically reinforced and considered of greatest importance and as a requirement first.

Geographically, his best bet may be Bay area California. Geshe Ngawang Dakpa, Khen Rinpoche Geshe Gyalten, Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Dampa come to mind, but there is a Gyuto center, Sera Jey has a presence (both with visiting Rinpoche's) and many other schools.

Shaun :namaste:
yagmort

Post by yagmort »

thanks for the names, zerwe!
stay open, spread love
Nicholas2727

Post by Nicholas2727 »

Where in the Midwest are you looking? Myself or others may be able to offer some suggestions if we have a better idea. I do not want to recommend a place in Wisconsin if you are staying in Missouri.

Another option that may work is to email some centers and see if they could schedule a time to talk with a teacher over zoom. I am not sure if any will accept this offer, but I know some of the centers I have emailed responded quickly and a few let me discuss some things over zoom so this could be a consideration.
yagmort

Post by yagmort »

it's Michigan.
Nicholas2727 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:02 pm ...I do not want to recommend a place in Wisconsin if you are staying in Missouri...
why not? i've been told he isn't hesitant to go anywhere if needed, so feel free to share your suggestions.
Nicholas2727 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:02 pm..some of the centers I have emailed responded quickly and a few let me discuss some things over zoom so this could be a consideration.
could you probably share those centers?
and thanks for the response!
stay open, spread love
Nicholas2727

Post by Nicholas2727 »

yagmort wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:20 pm it's Michigan.
Nicholas2727 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:02 pm ...I do not want to recommend a place in Wisconsin if you are staying in Missouri...
why not? i've been told he isn't hesitant to go anywhere if needed, so feel free to share your suggestions.
Nicholas2727 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:02 pm..some of the centers I have emailed responded quickly and a few let me discuss some things over zoom so this could be a consideration.
could you probably share those centers?
and thanks for the response!
I said that because if he is driving or has limited travel, going from Missouri to Wisconsin could be many hours or expensive.

Some centers could be Sravasti Abbey, Karma Triyana Dhamachakra, Palping Thubten Choling, Indiana Buddhist Center, Deer Park Buddhist Center, Sakya Monastery, Padmasambhava Buddhist Center, and some others.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”