One of the Oldest Known Buddhist Temples Found in Barikot, Pakistan

A forum for those wishing to discuss Buddhist history and teachings in the Western academic manner, referencing appropriate sources.
Leo Rivers

Post by Leo Rivers »

https://www.ancient-origins.net/news-hi ... le-0016372

Is the earliest Buddhist [Mahayana] inscription still the Amitabha inscription discussed by Schopen*

Article
*https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... vvkKSqbiW9
tingdzin

Re: One of the Oldest Known Buddhist Temples Found in Barikot, Pakistan

Post by tingdzin »

There's a very old (not sure right now, maybe 2nd-3rd century?) inscription that talks about a king entering the Mahayana; unfortunately, we have little firm idea about what it was intended to mean in that context. It certainly does not imply the total range of what came to be known as Mahayana teachings and practice.
Nalanda

Post by Nalanda »

I hope they discover some library or vault full of ancient texts.
IF YOU PRACTICE WITH A STRONG BELIEF IN WHAT
YOU ARE DOING, THEN THERE IS NO LIMIT TO WHAT
YOU CAN ACCOMPLISH WITH YOUR PRACTICE.

CHAKUNG JIGME WANGDRAK RINPOCHE

nyonchung

Post by nyonchung »

Nalanda wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:39 am I hope they discover some library or vault full of ancient texts.
Everybody hopes

I know somebody working in this project since years, that I met last month, they managed to restart work, now that covid lessened a bit and that the tension due to the situation in Afghanistan sensibly lowered.
They work in really difficult conditions, but I was told that the local poulations are generally friendly and easily associated to search and preservation work (it creates jobs)
Ah, vaults, everybody dreams of, the probleme being that in Swat sites have been regularly plundered since ceturies (plus a few rock carvings blasted by Talibans or else), but there is considerable restauration and preservation work, clearer undesrtanding of the history of the area

the official site is here
https://www.ismeo.eu/portfolio_page/ita ... stan-maip/
"Me and the sky don't hold views - Me and the river have no fixed practice
Me and the madman don't have a guide- Me and the rainbow have no experiences
Me, the sun and the moon have no certitudes - Me and the jewel bear no fruit" - Dampa Sanggyé as quoted by Domar Mingyur Dorjé (born 1675)
Nalanda

Post by Nalanda »

Ideally some powerful new technology that can scan sites from above. I know there are technologies like that now that can discover burried cities. I just hope newer tech becomes available.
IF YOU PRACTICE WITH A STRONG BELIEF IN WHAT
YOU ARE DOING, THEN THERE IS NO LIMIT TO WHAT
YOU CAN ACCOMPLISH WITH YOUR PRACTICE.

CHAKUNG JIGME WANGDRAK RINPOCHE

Leo Rivers

Post by Leo Rivers »

I am torn. Any new Dharma texts or statues will be likely founf on Taliban turf. And I have yet to see a Gandaran Maitreua statue, standing or in lotus without the raised right arm broken off. Same with Padmapani.

Compassion can not arise in an angrey heart. I have been reading the Buddha's injunction to Rahula per Analayo 2015 and MN 62.

Leo
:cheers:

Return to “Academic Discussion”