How to get rid of ant infestation outdoors without killing them?

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
omph

How to get rid of ant infestation outdoors without killing them?

Post by omph »

I have hoards of ants removing all the sand in between my pavers (brick walkway). No matter how much sand I sweep back in, they just remove again (I think there are multiple nests underground). Is there something I can put in the cracks besides sand that would deter them? The reason this is a problem is because the bricks get wobbly without sand in between them (it locks in pavers in place). I don't want to use concrete or anything permanent. The reason I got pavers in the first place is we have earthquakes occasionally and it's easier to replace bricks that repair broken slabs of concrete. thx!
matthuang

Re: How to get rid of ant infestation outdoors without killing them?

Post by matthuang »

if they are underground that's hard. Because the one that go up is usually worker ant, and the Queen underground making colony
SkyFox

Post by SkyFox »

omph wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:46 am I have hoards of ants removing all the sand in between my pavers (brick walkway). No matter how much sand I sweep back in, they just remove again (I think there are multiple nests underground). Is there something I can put in the cracks besides sand that would deter them? The reason this is a problem is because the bricks get wobbly without sand in between them (it locks in pavers in place). I don't want to use concrete or anything permanent. The reason I got pavers in the first place is we have earthquakes occasionally and it's easier to replace bricks that repair broken slabs of concrete. thx!
I currently have a mice problem, which I refuse to call an exterminator for. What I've found that works is to buy cayenne pepper powder and sprinkle it where you don't want them to go. Apparently, this also works for ants. Give that a try and see how it works.
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

When ants, cockroaches, mice, rats, etc. infest our houses, temples, businesses, etc., karmically it is due to our owing them len-chag (a past-life karmic debt). In the past we robbed them of their food, possessions, homes, and life itself. Killing them only makes this debt worse as well as causes further bad karma. To get rid of these vermin, the best way is to pay back one's karmic debt, such as through chu-tor ("water terma"), life release, feeding of ants and other insects with blessed foodstuffs, and even sang, sur, and chod. Dedicate the merit to the intruders and be sure that your aspiration prayers include the wish that, through these means, all past karmic debts are repaid in full. Once the karmic debt is repaid, the vermin will move on automatically. There will no longer be any karmic cause for their causing problems for you. Also pray that, due to this karmic relationship and the merit accumulated, in whatever time and field one achieves perfectly complete, unsurpassed Enlightenment and manifests as a supreme Nirmanakaya, may these sentient beings be born as your fortune-favored students and may too come to Enlightenment through Your teachings and blessings.

Good luck & best wishes.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Kim O'Hara
Global Moderator

Post by Kim O'Hara »

omph wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:46 am I have hoards of ants removing all the sand in between my pavers (brick walkway). No matter how much sand I sweep back in, they just remove again (I think there are multiple nests underground). Is there something I can put in the cracks besides sand that would deter them? The reason this is a problem is because the bricks get wobbly without sand in between them (it locks in pavers in place). I don't want to use concrete or anything permanent. The reason I got pavers in the first place is we have earthquakes occasionally and it's easier to replace bricks that repair broken slabs of concrete. thx!
You have set yourself an impossible problem, since anything you do which interferes with their chosen activities will harm them to some extent.

Minimal-harm interventions include scattering something they find repellent, like pepper, or blocking their access to the surface. If you don't want to lock the pavers in place with cement, perhaps you could use a flexible caulking compound. If I was going to do that, I would use a clear one because white or black will show up too much, and I would do a small area first.

:namaste:
Kim
Dorje Shedrub

Post by Dorje Shedrub »

Build the ants a palace with food, water, everything they need.
Homage to the Precious Dzogchen Master
🙏🌺🙏 Chögyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
🙏🌺🙏
muni

Post by muni »

A cinnamon stick, coffee grinds, chili pepper, paprika, cloves, or dried peppermint leaves near the openings will repel ants. You can also squeeze the juice of a lemon at the entry spot and leave the peel there. Planting mint around the foundation of the house will also keep ants away.
We cannot even begin to commit ourselves to the path of selfless compassion if our mind is unable to sense the sameness of the ground we all stand upon. Khandro Rinpoche.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UOcXiBGGb8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HySLYcu2ULA
n8pee

Post by n8pee »

CPawo wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:14 pm The mental gymnastics is strong here :popcorn:

This is essentially blaming yourself. Not healthy. The ants are doing what ants do, such is life.

Get rid of the ants as best you can in the most humane way you can.
Karma is mental gymnastics? Are you aware you are on a Buddhist forum?
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

I don't believe the ants will destroy your brick walkway.
I can understand, if people do not want to have them in the house, because the house is owned by the human being and not by the ants.
But outside it's a different affair:
The ant population was there long before any human being built a house and a brick walkway. Their rights are older, because
- they and their ancestors have been there before,
- they have to live SOMEWHERE, if they are not allowed to live in your house, and
- they keep the environment clean in their microcosmos.
- They are desperately needed!

Instead of worrying about tiny mountains of sand, you could simply enjoy this diligent hardworking population of very foreign beings. They serve your garden more than they are able to destroy.
For the benefit and ease of all sentient beings. :heart:
Kim O'Hara
Global Moderator

Post by Kim O'Hara »

:good:

:namaste:
Kim
SkyFox

Post by SkyFox »

n8pee wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:04 pm
CPawo wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:14 pm The mental gymnastics is strong here :popcorn:

This is essentially blaming yourself. Not healthy. The ants are doing what ants do, such is life.

Get rid of the ants as best you can in the most humane way you can.
Karma is mental gymnastics? Are you aware you are on a Buddhist forum?
His post reminded me of a story from years ago. There was this one lady at my friend's church that was flying from the Philippines back to Toronto. Her flight was going to be delayed due to a storm. However (in the last minute) things changed, and she was able to board.

On that day at the church, she gave a massive speech. She told every one ( in a exaggerated tone) that it was the devil that caused her flight to be delayed and Jesus saved her. Later on, in a more personal setting, she asked me my religion. When I told her I was a Buddhist, she flat out told me that Buddha isn't real and Jesus was the only savior, like she was some kinda messiah ( no respect for others). I could only think that this lady was mentally ill from too much religion, as everyone else from the group showed me respect and kindness.

Point is.... It's ok to believe. But when you start blaming yourself for every little thing, it becomes unhealthy, like that lady. Not everything is karma related. Telling people to feed critters that infest their houses or to give them prayers to "repay" debt in order to make them leave is a terrible idea. In a matter of fact, they might become your best friends. And what if they carry infectious diseases? Is it also bad karma if the family becomes sick? Honestly, we can only live the best that we can without over thinking things.

I'm currently dealing with a mice issue. I choose to live with them, but that's because I'm alone. If I had a family, however, you can bet that I would try my best (in the most humane way possible) to get rid of them because even just the smell of their urine and poop is unbearable and unhealthy ( gave them the basement). If they were outside, however, I would ( like Ayu mentioned) feed them but not when they are inside.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”