HYT Wangs

Terma

HYT Wangs

Post by Terma »

I was curious to know if the HYT empowerment's of Yamantaka (solitary hero) or Heruka (Chakrasamvara) are given often here in North America, and by legitimate lineage holders as recognized by HHDL and FPMT?

Who are some that may offer them from time to time?

I know there are a few other's that may offer these but I wish to steer well clear of those not in line with HHDL and FPMT guidelines, and therefore I really do not want to have this discussion veer off topic.

Thank you.
Lobsang Chojor

Re: HYT Wangs

Post by Lobsang Chojor »

Recently when Jhado Rinpoche visited the USA he gave a Heruka Wang at the Sera Jey Center in California. Jampa Shaneman a western FPMT teacher sometimes gives the Yamantaka Wang. Keep an eye on the Sera Jey centers too, great masters like Gaden Tri Rinpoche and Jhado Rinpoche will visit there.

I suspect now teachers are beginning to travel again more wangs will be given. Also, HHDL is giving the Luipa Chakrasamvara wang in July, and normally he says that it is valid to receive through livestream.
"Morality does not become pure unless darkness is dispelled by the light of wisdom"
  • Aryasura, Paramitasamasa 6.5
ༀ་ཨ་ར་པ་ཙ་ན་དྷཱི༔ Oṃ A Ra Pa Ca Na Dhīḥ
Terma

Post by Terma »

Lobsang Chojor wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 11:44 am Recently when Jhado Rinpoche visited the USA he gave a Heruka Wang at the Sera Jey Center in California. Jampa Shaneman a western FPMT teacher sometimes gives the Yamantaka Wang. Keep an eye on the Sera Jey centers too, great masters like Gaden Tri Rinpoche and Jhado Rinpoche will visit there.

I suspect now teachers are beginning to travel again more wangs will be given. Also, HHDL is giving the Luipa Chakrasamvara wang in July, and normally he says that it is valid to receive through livestream.
Thanks so much.

I saw that HHDL is indeed giving the Luipa Chakrasamvara Wang in July as you said, but there was no indication whether or not it will be live streamed. If so, what a wonderful opportunity!
Lobsang Chojor

Post by Lobsang Chojor »

Terma wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 3:02 pm Thanks so much.

I saw that HHDL is indeed giving the Luipa Chakrasamvara Wang in July as you said, but there was no indication whether or not it will be live streamed. If so, what a wonderful opportunity!
There isn't a formal announcement but pre-covid His Holiness accepted livestream empowerments. At the Jamyang Khorlo cycle of empowerments HHDL explicitly welcomed viewers on the livestream and said the empowerments are valid for them.
"Morality does not become pure unless darkness is dispelled by the light of wisdom"
Terma

Post by Terma »

Lobsang Chojor wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 4:30 pm
Terma wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 3:02 pm Thanks so much.

There isn't a formal announcement but pre-covid His Holiness accepted livestream empowerments. At the Jamyang Khorlo cycle of empowerments HHDL explicitly welcomed viewers on the livestream and said the empowerments are valid for them.
Hopefully there will be more information on a possible livestream soon.

Do you know which commitments HHDL gives generally for this particular empowerment?
Lobsang Chojor

Post by Lobsang Chojor »

Terma wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 8:05 pm Hopefully there will be more information on a possible livestream soon.

Do you know which commitments HHDL gives generally for this particular empowerment?
I don't, although a geshe suggested that it might be the 3 purifications of Heruka. If you're unsure about commitments maybe email the office of HHDL?
Terma

Post by Terma »

Lobsang Chojor wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 9:32 pm
Terma wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 8:05 pm Hopefully there will be more information on a possible livestream soon.

I don't, although a geshe suggested that it might be the 3 purifications of Heruka. If you're unsure about commitments maybe email the office of HHDL?
Thanks for the advice, I actually sent an email earlier today. As well, I am going to speak with my local Geshe-la on Monday so I'm sure I will get good advice.

Is the "3 Purifications of Heruka" a sadhana in itself that is related to this particular empowerment, or an auxiliary practice?

I know daily 6 session Guru Yoga is probably a given, and probably monthly tsok or Lama Chodpa. I also would need to find out how long the daily practice is, as I want to ensure that I will be able to keep any commitments that are given.

I feel this is a very precious opportunity, and one couldn't as for much better than having HHDL as a root guru. May the conditions come together. 🙏
Lobsang Chojor

Post by Lobsang Chojor »

Terma wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 11:49 pm Thanks for the advice, I actually sent an email earlier today. As well, I am going to speak with my local Geshe-la on Monday so I'm sure I will get good advice.

Is the "3 Purifications of Heruka" a sadhana in itself that is related to this particular empowerment, or an auxiliary practice?

I know daily 6 session Guru Yoga is probably a given, and probably monthly tsok or Lama Chodpa. I also would need to find out how long the daily practice is, as I want to ensure that I will be able to keep any commitments that are given.

I feel this is a very precious opportunity, and one couldn't as for much better than having HHDL as a root guru. May the conditions come together. 🙏
I'm not actually sure, it's related to purifying the three doors. Given it's mother tantra there will be the relevant vows and commitments (i.e. tsog not necessarily Lama Chöpa), 6 session guru yoga is standard for Gelug HYT.

It's a very precious opportunity, I'm really hoping I can attend.
zerwe

Post by zerwe »

Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Jampa (Sera Mey and Gyumed) recently gave Solitary Hero Yamantaka in Conneticuit, just gave VY blessing, and is located in the Bay Area.

Jhado Rinpoche was already mentioned. However, if I'm not sure if the Heruka initiation actually happened. I think it was cancelled due to COVID.

Lama Zopa will be here next year. However, it is rare for him to give a HYT in North America.

Khen Rinpoche Geshe Gyalten I think has given Cittamani Tara.

Jhampa Shaneman has given Yamantaka, VY, Heruka

Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Delek comes to NA occasionally. I have only heard of him giving Most Secret Hayagriva or Cittamani Tara.

Otherwise, you would have to be hopeful that Ling Rinpoche, Ganden Tripa, Gosok Rinpoche or someone like that would come over here.
There are others.

Shaun :namaste:
Terma

Post by Terma »

Lobsang Chojor wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 12:11 am
It's a very precious opportunity, I'm really hoping I can attend.
Indeed it is. I hope you will be able to attend as well.
Terma

Post by Terma »

zerwe wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 12:45 am Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Jampa (Sera Mey and Gyumed) recently gave Solitary Hero Yamantaka in Conneticuit, just gave VY blessing, and is located in the Bay Area.

Jhado Rinpoche was already mentioned. However, if I'm not sure if the Heruka initiation actually happened. I think it was cancelled due to COVID.

Lama Zopa will be here next year. However, it is rare for him to give a HYT in North America.

Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Delek comes to NA occasionally. I have only heard of him giving Most Secret Hayagriva or Cittamani Tara.

Otherwise, you would have to be hopeful that Ling Rinpoche, Ganden Tripa, Gosok Rinpoche or someone like that would come over here.
There are others.

Thanks, Shaun.

The group near me is trying to organize a visit from a prominent Rinpoche from Sera Jey, but I can't say who- I was sworn to secrecy and not sure if they were able to make the arrangements yet- we shall see. Otherwise it seems like I would need to travel a little once Covid calms down hopefully.

Time to make aspirations.
zerwe

Post by zerwe »

Terma wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 1:01 am
zerwe wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 12:45 am Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Jampa (Sera Mey and Gyumed) recently gave Solitary Hero Yamantaka in Conneticuit, just gave VY blessing, and is located in the Bay Area.

There are others.

Thanks, Shaun.

The group near me is trying to organize a visit from a prominent Rinpoche from Sera Jey, but I can't say who- I was sworn to secrecy and not sure if they were able to make the arrangements yet- we shall see. Otherwise it seems like I would need to travel a little once Covid calms down hopefully.

Time to make aspirations.
Keep us posted if you hear anything about the commitments from HHDL's office.

Terma

Post by Terma »

As an update:

https://www.facebook.com/events/5450102 ... 243877346/

It looks as if this 2 day empowerment will be live streamed. :thumbsup:

I have yet to hear back from the office of HH regarding commitments.

Overjoyed right now.
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

Terma wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:42 am As an update:

Overjoyed right now.
The three purifications is mandatory I think. I always see it listed as a requirement. It's less than a page. Sadhana commitments are up to the lama, but the short sadhana is only 9 pages so no problem (it includes the three purifications). There are also the mother tantra vows as on studybuddhism.com. The most notable for beginners like us is tsog twice a month.

Please post ITT if you get a response.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
Terma

Post by Terma »

Konchog1 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:38 am

Overjoyed right now.
The three purifications is mandatory I think. I always see it listed as a requirement. It's less than a page. Sadhana commitments are up to the lama, but the short sadhana is only 9 pages so no problem (it includes the three purifications). There are also the mother tantra vows as on studybuddhism.com. The most notable for beginners like us is tsog twice a month.

Thus far, I have not received a response. They recently announced that the Jinasagara empowerment HH is bestowing in the middle of June will be live streamed, so we will see.

Yes, my local Geshe figured the 3 purifications and six session guru yoga would most likely be the commitments, but it is really up to HH on that specific day.

How long is the tsog practice that one would do as a commitment? Is there an abbreviated form for when there is less time?

Also, there is a Sadhana written by the First Panchen Lama (Luipa tradition Heruka), with the 3 purifications as well as the body mandala. It is relatively short, maybe 14 pages. Is one authorized to do this Sadhana with the empowerment that HH will give?

Thanks for your insight.
zerwe

Post by zerwe »

Terma wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:10 am

Overjoyed right now.

Thus far, I have not received a response. They recently announced that the Jinasagara empowerment HH is bestowing in the middle of June will be live streamed, so we will see.

Yes, my local Geshe figured the 3 purifications and six session guru yoga would most likely be the commitments, but it is really up to HH on that specific day.

How long is the tsog practice that one would do as a commitment? Is there an abbreviated form for when there is less time?

Also, there is a Sadhana written by the First Panchen Lama (Luipa tradition Heruka), with the 3 purifications as well as the body mandala. It is relatively short, maybe 14 pages. Is one authorized to do this Sadhana with the empowerment that HH will give?

Thanks for your insight.
Lama Chopa proper takes about an hour. There is a very brief Tsog offering that can be done in minutes and so many variations beyond that. As I only have a little exposure to Ghantapada 5 deity Chakrasamvara and Vajrayogini, I don't know if there is a relationship between Luipa and three purifications, but I imagine there is since VY is considered to also contain the entire essence of the Luipa lineage larger practice?

Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

Terma wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:10 am

Overjoyed right now.

Thanks for your insight.
Tsog is a couple pages. You can use the one in the Guru Puja. There are tsogs based on certain deities. If there is one on Luipa Heruka, it's isn't translated. There is one on Ghantapa Heruka.

I assume so, but I don't know for sure.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

jmlee369

Post by jmlee369 »

Terma wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:10 am How long is the tsog practice that one would do as a commitment? Is there an abbreviated form for when there is less time?

Thanks for your insight.
The generic short tsog practice (pretty much Ganden Lhagyema + tsog section of Guru Puja) can be done in 10-15 minutes. If your lama allows and you are desperate, there is a way to fulfil your commitment in a few seconds. There is an alternative method that does not involve doing a tsog offering but again, it's probably best discussed in a more private forum.

That sadhana would be suitable to practice after initiation. Would you mind sharing where it is available?
Konchog1 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:13 am Tsog is a couple pages. You can use the one in the Guru Puja. There are tsogs based on certain deities. If there is one on Luipa Heruka, it's isn't translated. There is one on Ghantapa Heruka.

I assume so, but I don't know for sure.
If you are referring to Pabongkha Rinpoche's Heruka tsog, it is common to all three lineages if I remember correctly.
Terma

Post by Terma »

Since we are talking about daily and monthly commitments, when one takes a Father Tantra Wang, are the commitments a bit lighter?

Does one generally do guru puja once a month? Or does daily six session and monthly tsog suffice?
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

Terma wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:29 pm Since we are talking about daily and monthly commitments, when one takes a Father Tantra Wang, are the commitments a bit lighter?

Does one generally do guru puja once a month? Or does daily six session and monthly tsog suffice?
Tsog is mandatory twice a month. Optional once a day is best. Father Tantra is 'lighter'. Daily six session is mandatory.
jmlee369 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:00 pm The generic short tsog practice (pretty much Ganden Lhagyema + tsog section of Guru Puja) can be done in 10-15 minutes. If your lama allows and you are desperate, there is a way to fulfil your commitment in a few seconds. There is an alternative method that does not involve doing a tsog offering but again, it's probably best discussed in a more private forum.

That sadhana would be suitable to practice after initiation. Would you mind sharing where it is available?
Please send me a message after the empowerment and I'll send you the long and short one.
jmlee369 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:00 pmIf you are referring to Pabongkha Rinpoche's Heruka tsog, it is common to all three lineages if I remember correctly.
Can you send what you' re talking about to me please?

Return to “Gelug”