Help... tea story

Forum for discussion of East Asian Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
tellyontellyon

Help... tea story

Post by tellyontellyon »

Hello, could somebody please help me.
I read a Buddhist story once and I can't remember it properly or where I read it.

The story goes something like, a man goes to see a master and the master gives him a sip of tea... Just as he sips he finds himself by a lake and spends many years there.. he finds a wife and has children, eventually growing old and dying. As he dies he is right back with the master sipping the tea...

Does anybody know this story in full and fill out the bits I can't remember.
A link would be fab too.

Thank you :buddha1:
"Be melting snow. Wash yourself of yourself."
- Rumi
Aemilius

Re: Help... tea story

Post by Aemilius »

The story is in Progressive Stages of Meditation on Emptiness – by Khenpo Tsultrim Gyamtso Rinpoche (Author), Lama Shenpen Hookham (Translator)
on page 43, at least in an early edition of that book.
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)
tellyontellyon

Post by tellyontellyon »

Thank you... Do you know if the story is a traditional story... Does it appear anywhere else?
:heart:
"Be melting snow. Wash yourself of yourself."
- Rumi
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

He tells it like a factual event, I don't know how old the story is, haven't seen it anywhere else.
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

tellyontellyon wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 2:32 pm The story goes something like, a man goes to see a master and the master gives him a sip of tea... Just as he sips he finds himself by a lake and spends many years there.. he finds a wife and has children, eventually growing old and dying. As he dies he is right back with the master sipping the tea...
Sounds pretty cool. Perhaps a good outline for a potential screenplay, if there are any screenwriters out there.
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

tellyontellyon wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:00 pm Thank you... Do you know if the story is a traditional story... Does it appear anywhere else?
:heart:
There are stories like it all over the place. One that seems fairly similar to Shenpen's (though with heated wine rather than tea) is a Daoist tale about King Mu of Chou.

https://archive.org/details/in.gov.ignc ... 5/mode/2up

Less similar, though still on the same theme, are two stories from the Yoga-Vāsiṣṭha, namely, those of Lavaṇa (The King who Dreamed he was an Untouchable and Awoke to Find it was True) and of Gādhi (The Brahmin who Dreamed he was an Untouchable who Dreamed he was a King). Both are narrated in Wendy Doniger O'Flaherty's Dreams, Illusion and Other Realities.

Return to “East Asian Buddhism”