Garchen Rinpoche's White Tara

Aloke

Garchen Rinpoche's White Tara

Post by Aloke »

[Mod note: this topic was split from here: https://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.p ... 37#p625037]

Is it the same lineage of Garchen Rinpoche?

Thank you!
Kai lord

Re: Mingyur Rinpoche's White Tara

Post by Kai lord »

Aloke wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 7:13 pm Is it the same lineage of Garchen Rinpoche?
White Tara is his heart practice. Here's Rinpoche's explanation on its origin.
In the Drigung Kagyu, in the notes of the empowerment text, the origin of this White Tārā sadhana, came from the request of master Lama Drubnye Tengye, a siddha. Lama Drubnye Tengye was a disciple of the previous Garchen Rinpoche, Gar Trinley Yongkyab and a mahasiddha who spent most of his life in retreat and conferred most of the Drikung Kagyu empowerments and transmissions at Gar Monastery. He passed away in retreat and was considered a very precious lama.

In the small print of the commentary, it says Lama Drubnye Tengye requested the previous Gar Trinley Yongkhab to compose the text. Gar Trinley had a dream of Tārā giving him a crystal mala, vase, and other auspicious objects and Tārā merging with him directly. These dreams happened numerous times. Gar Trinley Yongkhab shared these experiences with the lamas at the monastery. Drubnye Tengye who requested the sadhana to be composed was a great teacher who had the greatest faith and who also conferred any empowerment or transmission asked of him.

When I was very young, before I received this title, I came into his presence as a child, and got the refuge vow. When he clipped my hair, which is in the movie of my life story, before I got my name, the other monks present said ‘we have another monk’, but he said, ‘he won’t stay a normal monk’ and so on as you can see in the movie. There are many precious stories about him. He was the one from who I got this empowerment when I was very young. When receiving empowerment and refuge he gave me name, Konchog Gyaltsen, while in my mother’s lap.

There is a story in the empowerment text about how Gyalwang Rinchen Phuntshog[iii] received the Wish -Fulfilling Jewel treasure in a pure vision of Tārā. When I was young, I came to Drubnye Tengye ’s place and he said that ‘there were many different texts, but I want to give you one of those texts, so you should point at which one you want and I will give it’. So, I was looking around, and I saw this small but nice fancy looking volume, and the one I pointed at was this Wish-Fulfilling Jewel of Tārā. Then this text, which was very small, was then printed by Rinpoche, folded up as an amulet and worn around people’s necks. In Drigung Kagyu they have this tradition to wear this. In the Gelugpa there is the Prayer for Excellent Conduct which is also printed very small and worn as an amulet around the neck. Thus, in the Gar tradition we wear this text and that goes back to Rinchen Phuntshog and that is the one I pointed at when I was young. As I pointed at it, that is also why a lot of people liked it and it became very popular.......
.......So Tārā appeared to Gyalwang Rinchen Phuntsog in a pure vision, and she took him and brought him to limitless pure lands, way beyond this world one after the other. In each pure land he met each Buddha there and received teachings there. That is how Tārā appeared to him.
Life is like a game, either you win or lose!
Life is like a fight, either you live or die!
Life is like a show, either you laugh or cry!
Life is like a dream, either you know or not!!!
Aloke

Re: Garchen Rinpoche's White Tara

Post by Aloke »

Thank you very much!

“Love and compassion is the life-force of the deity. It is said that what we call the deity is actually bodhicitta. Thus, the samaya is to maintain love and compassion for all sentient beings and when others harm you, one should practice patience and hold onto that love. Samaya is love and compassion for others.”

HE 8th Garchen Rinpoche

This really makes sense and it's so beautiful!

Return to “Kagyu”