Om mani padme hum

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Norden

Om mani padme hum

Post by Norden »

Hi all,

Can everybody chant om mani padme hum? Do you have to be a vegetarian to chant om mani padme hum? Thanks
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Re: Om mani padme hum

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

Anybody can chant it. There’s no dietary requirements.

However if you’re going to invest a lot of time and emery in it, you might want to take an imitation into the practice of Chenrezig.
Last edited by Schrödinger’s Yidam on Wed May 18, 2022 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

You can go ahead. Veg or not.
Kai lord

Post by Kai lord »

Norden wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 1:49 am Hi all,

Can everybody chant om mani padme hum?
Yes I have seen lots of meat eaters chanted that. so..........
Norden

Post by Norden »

Sorry for the typo.

Can you chant it soon after you wake up in the morning? Or you have to brush your teeth, taking shower, etc. first? Can you also chant it when you're not wearing clothes?
PSM

Post by PSM »

There are no rules on how/when/where to chant it.
Kai lord

Post by Kai lord »

Norden wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:06 am Sorry for the typo.

Can you chant it soon after you wake up in the morning? Or you have to brush your teeth, taking shower, etc. first? Can you also chant it when you're not wearing clothes?
Used to chanting it while waking up but still lying on the bed half naked ...so yeah
Soma999

Post by Soma999 »

Concerning the increase of compassion, every moment is the right time.
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

Namu Amida Butsu
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Post by Konchog Thogme Jampa »

Konchog Thogme Jampa

Post by Konchog Thogme Jampa »

Norden wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 1:49 am Hi all,

Can everybody chant om mani padme hum? Do you have to be a vegetarian to chant om mani padme hum? Thanks
It’s one of the best things anyone can do
Chinnamasta

Post by Chinnamasta »

Some do mostly mantra chanting, this is an example. https://thanhsiang.org/en/demise-his-em ... rinpoche-0
You can chant in you sleep if you like, dont depart from it. Would be good with suplementary teachings though to get most out of it.

I think Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche used to chant mani mantra continously while doing other things at the same time, and many others too.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

:good:

Good advie to chant it continuously. Even just under one's breath or keep it in thought. But! Chant it and think of benefit of all sentient beings.

There is a nice tibetan song that says sth along the lines of it is better to sing a nice song with good motivation, than to chant mani and have evil thoughts. That I think is quite crucial.

Who cares about if you eat meat, who cares if you sing it in a suit or butt naked. Take a good care of your motivation. Make sure it is not just for this life (for wealth, health, etc) but that it is for enlightenment of all infinite sentient beings (you included). That is what Mani reminds me of.

Not to mention that Mani is quite versatile, with nice melody you can offer it to all the buddhas and bodhisattvas. With 4 powers you can purify your misdeeds with it. Really wonderful.

So relax, check your motivation and enjoy.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”