Is love an illusion?

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Bristollad

Re: Is love an illusion?

Post by Bristollad »

Ardha wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:25 pm
I understand what they mean by it in the quote though which is why it bugs me and has me in knots. It means that when I tell someone I love them I don't mean it and it's just some "Thing" that I love about them.

Like in the case they use with the mother, you don't love your mom because if she was mean you wouldn't. You love care and maternity, aka what is done to you.
Why do you feel that that post by some random dude on the internet is true? Why do you think it accurately reflects the teachings of Buddhism?

As for the bond of affection I shared with my parents; it was a lot more than a tit for tat exchange of pleasantries and aid. They loved and helped me when I was being a shit. I loved them even when they were critical and annoying, that's why their opinions hurt and mattered so much.

Yes, we are attracted and attached to some qualities we see in our partners or prospective partners. That's what we like about them. When we see their unattractive qualities as well and still wish to spend our lives with them, helping them, growing old with them, then that's a deeper thing - romantic love.

When we can love another without clinging or attachment, wanting them to be happy and have the causes of happiness whoever they are, whatever their behaviour, however likeable or unattractive they are, then we're beginning to touch the sort of love the Buddha praised.
The antidote—to be free from the suffering of samsara—you need to be free from delusion and karma; you need to be free from ignorance, the root of samsara. So you need to meditate on emptiness. That is what you need. Lama Zopa Rinpoche
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Bristollad wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:15 pm Why do you feel that that post by some random dude on the internet is true? Why do you think it accurately reflects the teachings of Buddhism?

As for the bond of affection I shared with my parents; it was a lot more than a tit for tat exchange of pleasantries and aid. They loved and helped me when I was being a shit. I loved them even when they were critical and annoying, that's why their opinions hurt and mattered so much.

Yes, we are attracted and attached to some qualities we see in our partners or prospective partners. That's what we like about them. When we see their unattractive qualities as well and still wish to spend our lives with them, helping them, growing old with them, then that's a deeper thing - romantic love.

When we can love another without clinging or attachment, wanting them to be happy and have the causes of happiness whoever they are, whatever their behaviour, however likeable or unattractive they are, then we're beginning to touch the sort of love the Buddha praised.
Will you say it with Bristollian accent please. :)

Virgo
Bristollad

Post by Bristollad »

Virgo wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:24 pm Will you say it with Bristollian accent please. :)
Alright my luvver!
The antidote—to be free from the suffering of samsara—you need to be free from delusion and karma; you need to be free from ignorance, the root of samsara. So you need to meditate on emptiness. That is what you need. Lama Zopa Rinpoche
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Bristollad wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:35 pm
Virgo wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:24 pm Will you say it with Bristollian accent please. :)
Alright my luvver!
Yay! :woohoo:

'Ark at he!

Virgo
Miorita

Post by Miorita »

Mercury,

is in the Virgo constellation.

I predict that by the end of Mercury's transit, some will ascertain all sorts of interesting things: not only that love is the fiber of the Universe, but other
analytical, meticulous results with much attention to detail.

For their work, some will be praised while others not so much.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Ayu wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:44 am It's fundamentaly difficult to understand, because our thought patterns are different.
Giving up judgmental thinking is a very helpful exercise. It helps in so many cases.

You don't have to say, this buddhist idea of illusion is true. That's difficult and you can reach that understanding only by "study, contemplation & meditation". This needs a lot of time until you reach some insight.
Therefore, you cannot find truth by hastily judging and discussing. And this is true in so many other situations in life as well.
I understand what they mean by it in the quote though which is why it bugs me and has me in knots. It means that when I tell someone I love them I don't mean it and it's just some "Thing" that I love about them.

Like in the case they use with the mother, you don't love your mom because if she was mean you wouldn't. You love care and maternity, aka what is done to you.
In the Mahayana, we try to take the love we feel towards our mothers- that they unconditionally birthed us, cared for us, etc. and apply it universally to all sentient beings, as all sentient beings are worthy of it.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Ardha wrote: It means that when I tell someone I love them I don't mean it and it's just some "Thing" that I love about them.
Well, I personally have difficulties with understanding your concern.
In my view, there's no relation to buddhist teachings. I know these kinds of doubts from my early years and first love, when I never heard of any Buddhist idea. Isn't this kind of doubt completely common?
People swear eternal love out of a very emotional state. But how true is it? Do they love or do they want to love only? That's a common and valid question, completely apart from any idea of emptiness or anatman.
muni

Post by muni »

Ardha, I had a mom who didn't care at all for me, causing lots of problems. When she was old she asked me to forgive her.
When we see those seemingly not worth to be loved, be sure they need love but it can be their confusion is like a wall, so that love is not 'arriving'. And sometimes it is for us very hard to even try to love those who harmed us.

I think it is impossible to love all. Because there will always be some causing us sadness or making us upset.
Guided Compassion/love meditation in Buddhism serves to soften a bit our self idea. This could be more helpful than trying to love everyone. And actually it can sound odd, but then all can be included in love, because there is then not so strong self-other separation.

Meanwhile we can try to remember: A peaceful happy mind will not harm, has not that intention to do so. Therefore those who harm, are not happy, not peaceful, no mind at ease. And that is sad.
MagnetSoulSP

Post by MagnetSoulSP »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:26 am
Ayu wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:44 am It's fundamentaly difficult to understand, because our thought patterns are different.
Giving up judgmental thinking is a very helpful exercise. It helps in so many cases.

You don't have to say, this buddhist idea of illusion is true. That's difficult and you can reach that understanding only by "study, contemplation & meditation". This needs a lot of time until you reach some insight.
Therefore, you cannot find truth by hastily judging and discussing. And this is true in so many other situations in life as well.

In the Mahayana, we try to take the love we feel towards our mothers- that they unconditionally birthed us, cared for us, etc. and apply it universally to all sentient beings, as all sentient beings are worthy of it.
I think that might depend on the kind of mother that you had. That they birthed us, I feel, isn't something to praise them for. Being birthed is something forced upon you and that you have to deal with, at least how I see it. She might have cared for me but it was material care, she never really accepted the person I was and tried to get me to do things that she knew I didn't like. She had this idea for me and didn't like that I wasn't matching that image. If anything I vowed to myself as a teen that I would never be like my mother. I could never talk to her about anything because I was never heard, she just responded with a story that had nothing to do with it or downplayed my issues. Maybe some mothers were like that but not mine.
Bristollad wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:15 pm

Why do you feel that that post by some random dude on the internet is true? Why do you think it accurately reflects the teachings of Buddhism?

I guess it just seemed like it was true. I've had a bad time when it comes to disagreeing with people on the internet.
master of puppets

Post by master of puppets »

Genetically 1/3 percent of you contains of your mother.
you live it and couldn't escape.
my advice is to keep your respect.

ı have a father acting like a scorpion. whose only job is to bite day&night. yet up to now ı never cut the painter but always try to make him live 2 more days. whether it costs my own health..
Bristollad

Post by Bristollad »

Ardha wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 4:04 am I think that might depend on the kind of mother that you had. That they birthed us, I feel, isn't something to praise them for.
One of my teachers, when talking about remembering the kindness of our mothers, emphasized that thinking about the suffering our mothers went through whilst pregnant and when giving birth should be enough. Any difficulties we might have subsequently had growing up were irrelevant to the great gift she had bestowed on us, our birth. Your view that your birth was unkindly thrust upon you disregards the Buddhist understanding of rebirth.

You complain that your mother doesn't actually love you because she has her own views and ideas about what you could do and be and what would make you happy. Yet you seem to limit your own acceptance of your mother because she disagrees with your views.

As has been said to you a few times, I advise you to put aside the teachings on anatman and emptiness for now and concentrate on ethics, meditation practice and developing the four immeasurable thoughts: these are metta (loving kindness), karuna (compassion), mudita (sympathetic joy or empathy), and upekkha (equanimity). Start doing them with those people you find easy, and then gradually expand your focus to include those who are more difficult.
ManyHeart

Post by ManyHeart »

Hello I read through all of this--
Two things are: love is a powerful thing if used in a good way -- in one of his books, His Holiness the Dalai Lama said that Buddahood is -'the perfection of wisdom, love and power' (I am sorry this is not an exact quote, but it was those.) In any case, it may be Upadesha but still it's a very good point. Thich Nhat Hanh talks about love a great deal as well, "If you love a person, but never make yourself available to them, that is not true love." comes to mind and, "You must love in such a way that the person you love feels free." So -- love is maybe an illusion for some, but for others it is very real. Also we could ask, "What is love?" that is a very interesting but infinite question, as in, "What is light," or "What is energy," and most perhaps Western Buddhists will shy away from this as it is a little bit reminiscent of other religious systems of thought (or perhaps without the 'other') which have become corrupt or have been used for ill.

And there are scriptural references which say "Do not love," so this is a fallback -- but I believe this is more in the idea of avoid both attachment and aversion. So in Thich Nhat Hanh, he is seemingly saying "Love, but without trapping them," so this would seem to follow the non-attachment, and non-aversion type of thing. But let's address pain for a moment. Because pain is definitely there -- and one of the central questions of the inner life is to understand, to heal and so forth this type of thing. Mothers have pain of childbirth, but even more so, there is pain simply in existence . . . .

So loving even though there is pain; loving without pain, and so forht, all of these are important. Can we love perfectly? Well of course -- And it's easier with maybe pets who love us absolutely almost, or unconditionally. (Some people might say unconditional love is maybe even hard for a dog to achieve, but it seems very much to be there in many animals that love us.) [and I don't mean to say we are less than dogs :namaste: :sage:]

But Joshu just said, "Meh" when asked if a Dog has Buddha-nature... (ok ok, just a little maybe funny humor -- :tongue: ) Ok I did want to just quickly say -- Bristollad -- I think that is right from Buddha or straight from the sutras unless I'm mistaken......And yeah -- others also correctly downplayed the negativity of a rando saying "You don't love *Them* you just love a 'thing' about them" -- on the surface and I would say in the depth of it that is simply conflict-for-no-purpose, i,e., just a mistaken way of viewing; or at worst, nihilism.

--ManyHeart
Bristollad

Post by Bristollad »

ManyHeart wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 3:33 pm Ok I did want to just quickly say -- Bristollad -- I think that is right from Buddha or straight from the sutras unless I'm mistaken.
What is? I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to say.
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

Love as infatuation between a man and a woman is a common phenomena. It is necessary for the continuity of the race and for making families, but it does not last. In that sense, it can be said to be delusional.

Between birth and death, where the human experience takes place, there is a wide spectrum of perceptions which can serve different purposes. For the purposes of seeking and developing wisdom, infatuation or love does not rank high. If you were to present the same question to a hedonist for example, you might get a similar answer for different reasons. For a hedonist, love is not real in the sense that it could limit indulgence with more partners. At a very superficial level, you might equate a hedonist with a wise person based on receiving similar answers from them, that love is an illusion. However, the interplay of forces within them can be completely different.
The cleverest defenders of faith are its greatest enemies: for their subtleties engender doubt and stimulate the mind. -- Will Durant
undefineable

Post by undefineable »

ManyHeart wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 3:33 pm others also correctly downplayed the negativity of a rando saying "You don't love *Them* you just love a 'thing' about them" -- on the surface and I would say in the depth of it that is simply conflict-for-no-purpose, i,e., just a mistaken way of viewing; or at worst, nihilism.
This is an extremely subtle topic imo. A possible definition for the deepest love I can think of would be loving the sentience of the being. *Absolute* unconditional love, if you like.

But this is arguably foundational to all of what is called love in this context. You love a being with qualities, not just the qualities themselves. The love of a robot's qualities is not the same as the love of a person along with their qualities.

Nonetheless, purely unconditional love within certain relationship roles would be disastrous. Even the love of parents for children is conditional on genetic connection - or at least on a positive decision to care for a child nor related by blood. Or with your dog example (Wu!/Meh... ;) ), unconditional love is there for the owner of the pet as master/pack leader [or member] - and may be withdrawn if the owner harms the dog as a result of a psychotic break or somesuch. Likewise, the love of a woman for a man is conditional on her having chosen him as a mate, and when you consider the role of females in the animal kingdom as the genetic 'selectors', it becomes obvious that the health and happiness of future generations depends on women loving "things about" men, and withholding love from men who don't have enough 'things about' them.

In particular, being loved in that context often depends on a brain that sacrifices sentience for action, in other words a human-asura/psychopathic brain (as psychiatrically defined) that typically achieves the most sophisticated aims *because* its function is so streamlined (-to the point that brainwave studies suggest a state of consciousness that neurotypicals show only while waking up and falling asleep-).

On the other hand, tech-oriented autistic men, whose "things about" are simpler, messier, and less relatable (inasmuch as autistic brains process sensory information evenly rather than sculpting it into a relational world), are sometimes loved by women in spite of that, but financial resources are likely to have played a conscious or unconscious part in the choice.
ManyHeart wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 3:33 pm we could ask, "What is love?" that is a very interesting but infinite question, as in, "What is light," or "What is energy,"
So all in all, the whys and wherefores of ordinary love are 'once removed' from its [underlying] nature - to one distance or another.
That's still before the question of attachment is brought into the picture - whether and how strongly the ego appropriates the object of love. {..And there's twists here that I can't fathom...}
ManyHeart wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 3:33 pm and most perhaps Western Buddhists will shy away from this as it is a little bit reminiscent of other religious systems of thought (or perhaps without the 'other') which have become corrupt or have been used for ill.
I'm sure you weren't trying to imply this, but it seems doubtful either that other religions abused the concept of love directly (although doubtless the Christian teachings on 'turning the other cheek' were used to persuade a lot of people to roll over to rough treatment, etc. etc.), or that many Western Buddhists shy away from Buddhist teachings on universal love/compassion in particular. But it's fair to say that Buddhist teachings on love are presented with mindfulness of the dangers of attachment (needless to say!), and also of the lack of a potential overall focus, such as a God or any other kind of religious figure or universal "Mind", in the Dharma, all of which makes them fairly guarded and specific when addressing love as a [potential] spiritual principle, at least on the whole.
ManyHeart wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 3:33 pmCan we love perfectly? Well of course
I'd still imagine this would be reserved for Buddhas and Bodhisattvas
you wore out your welcome with random precision {Pink Floyd}
undefineable

Post by undefineable »

Bristollad wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:18 am Your view that your birth was unkindly thrust upon you disregards the Buddhist understanding of rebirth.
Or it might wind up at Dukkha Satya, beginningless Ignorance, and the rest...
Bristollad wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:18 am You complain that your mother doesn't actually love you because she has her own views and ideas about what you could do and be and what would make you happy. Yet you seem to limit your own acceptance of your mother because she disagrees with your views.
Whether or not Ardha felt and meant that, it also sounds like a lack of recognition, even rejection, of a mother's love, because it's likely love that motivates her views and ideas. After all, enlightened beings supposedly have their own very distinct views as to what everyone could do and be - in order for them all to be happy.

Which is distinct from verbally responding to whichever of one's mother's related ideas run contrarywise to our own. In which case it's obvious that disagreement may remain even after any constructive discussion, and no reason why that disagreement shouldn't be OK imo.
you wore out your welcome with random precision {Pink Floyd}
muni

Post by muni »

Ardha, when you have so much problems with "mother", H H Dalai Lama explained, you could as well see all beings as ever been your child. Or ever been your friend, but are now victim/suffering due to their own disturbed mind. Like some moms could be as well. Or actually like most beings, I guess. Most are not perfect, and so are almost never like we would exactly wish them to be. Being angry or sad because of that will hurt us even more, and the other as well.
Can we love perfectly? Well of course
I'd still imagine this would be reserved for Buddhas and Bodhisattvas
:namaste:
Svalaksana

Post by Svalaksana »

Bristollad wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:35 pm
Alright my luvver!
Mate... I must be a pretty dim witted bloke, for only have I now reckoned your nickname pertained to a lad from Bristol. Cheers, old bean!
Looking but not seeing - that's my eye.
Thinking but not minding - that's my mind.
Speaking but not expressing - that's my tongue.
Traveling but not going - that's my path.
CPawo

Post by CPawo »

Love is no illusion. The pursuit of and idea of love is an illusion - those are products of the thinking/desiring/controlling mind.

Buddha taught the 4 Immeasurable Minds - Love, Compassion, Joy, and Equanimity. Immeasurable meaning if practiced they grow in your life exponentially. These 4 components are taught as the 4 abodes of true love.

Love is the energy of the universe that creates, penetrates, and connects us all. It can only be truly experienced in the present moment. This is taught by many of the wisdom traditions. Jesus for instance teaches God is Love - if you seek deeper than that phrase within his teachings I think you find his meaning of God is Love in the Present Moment. If you open to it you experience life anew - this is no illusion. Most do experience what they believe is love as an illusion - it's almost always out of reach if you will as it's a product of the thinking/desiring/controlling mind. When they think they have it in their grasp, it's at best temporary. What they think is love is created in their mind, it doesn't really exist.
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

CPawo wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:56 pm Love is no illusion. The pursuit of and idea of love is an illusion - those are products of the thinking/desiring/controlling mind.

Buddha taught the 4 Immeasurable Minds - Love, Compassion, Joy, and Equanimity. Immeasurable meaning if practiced they grow in your life exponentially. These 4 components are taught as the 4 abodes of true love.

Love is the energy of the universe that creates, penetrates, and connects us all. It can only be truly experienced in the present moment. This is taught by many of the wisdom traditions.
All these have nothing to do with the dharma. It sounds like new age soup.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”