Bodhisattva's austerities in the Agamas; going naked, letting his grow etc.

Post sayings or stories from Buddhist traditions which you find interesting, inspiring or useful. (Your own stories are welcome on DW, but in the Creative Writing or Personal Experience forums rather than here.)
Astus
Former staff member

Re: Bodhisattva's austerities in the Agamas; going naked, letting his grow etc.

Post by Astus »

Aemilius wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:42 amBecause the world knew and had heard about the ascetic Gautama, they expected that he might attain something one day. If he had just left the palace and walked to to the Bodhi-tree in his silken garments, wearing his golden ornaments, fresh like a flower from a warm bath, do you think he would have attained anything?
The Buddha wasn't famous because he practised for a short period self-mortification and got an emaciated body, and he himself said it was of no use for his subsequent attainment of liberation. Some people also knew him because he was a son of a ruler, but it doesn't mean we should all live a luxurious life.
1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

In Digha Nikaya 1.8, Kassapa Sihanada Sutta, Buddha speaks at length about various ascetics and their practices, where these practices lead to:

"`I have heard it said, O Gotama, thus: The Samana Gotama disparages all penance; verily he reviles and finds fault with every ascetic, with every one who lives a hard life. Now those, O Gotama, who said this, were they therein repeating Gotama's words, and not reporting him falsely? Are they announcing, as a minor tenet of his, a matter really following from his Dhamma (his system)? Is there nothing in this opinion of his, so put forward as wrapt up with his system, or as a corollary from it, that could meet with objection? For we would fain bring no false accusation against the venerable Gotama.'

3. `No, Kassapa. Those who said so were not following my words. On the contrary, they were reporting me falsely, and at variance with the fact.

`Herein, O Kassapa, I am wont to be aware, with vision bright and purified, seeing beyond what men can see, how some men given to asceticism, living a hard life, are reborn, on the dissolution of the body, after death, into some unhappy, fallen state of misery and woe; while others, living just so, are reborn into some happy state, or into a heavenly world, how some men given to asceticism, but living a life less hard, are equally reborn, on the dissolution of the body, after death into some unhappy, fallen state of misery and woe; while others, living just so, are reborn in some happy state, or into a heavenly world. How then could I, O Kassapa, who am thus aware, as they really are, of the states whence men have come, and whither they will go, as they pass away from one form of existence, and take shape in another, how could I disparage all penance; or bluntly revile and find fault with every ascetic, with every one who lives a life that is hard?"

https://www.greatwesternvehicle.org/pal ... index.html
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Malcolm wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:01 pm
Astus wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:55 am
Malcolm wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:23 pmMuch prefer the witches sabbath, getting naked in the moonlight, dancing around fires, broomsticks...
Uposatha and ganacakra are not exclusive, are they? (reminds me of this song)
:twothumbsup:
Recently watched War on Witches on Magellan TV. Definitely worth it.

Virgo
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

Astus wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:32 pm
Aemilius wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:42 amBecause the world knew and had heard about the ascetic Gautama, they expected that he might attain something one day. If he had just left the palace and walked to to the Bodhi-tree in his silken garments, wearing his golden ornaments, fresh like a flower from a warm bath, do you think he would have attained anything?
The Buddha wasn't famous because he practised for a short period self-mortification and got an emaciated body, and he himself said it was of no use for his subsequent attainment of liberation. Some people also knew him because he was a son of a ruler, but it doesn't mean we should all live a luxurious life.
Some books on the life of Gautama tell concerning the ascetism of Siddhartha: "For six long years he continued to undergo fasts and penances, until his body was so wasted that no one seeing him would have recognozed the noble Prince Siddhatha. But his fame as a saintly man spread aboard like a sound of a great bell hung in the sky, as the old stories tell us."

Found in The Story of the Buddha, Edith Holland, London 1923, reprint Delhi 2003.
Also mentioned in Who is the Buddha?, Sangharakshita, Windhorse 1994.
svaha
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

Aemilius wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 8:53 amSome books on the life of Gautama tell concerning the ascetism of Siddhartha: "For six long years he continued to undergo fasts and penances, until his body was so wasted that no one seeing him would have recognozed the noble Prince Siddhatha. But his fame as a saintly man spread aboard like a sound of a great bell hung in the sky, as the old stories tell us."

Found in The Story of the Buddha, Edith Holland, London 1923, reprint Delhi 2003.
Also mentioned in Who is the Buddha?, Sangharakshita, Windhorse 1994.
A similar statement is found in the Chinese version of the Buddhacarita, that is a likely source of the above.

From Samuel Beal's translation published in 1883:
'His spirit free, his body light and refined, his name spreading far and wide, as 'highly gifted,' even as the moon when first produced, or as the Kumuda flower spreading out its sweetness; Everywhere thro’ the country his excellent fame extended; the daughters of the lord of the place both coming to see him'

And from Charles Willemen's translation (XII.80, BDK ed, p 89):
'His spirit was empty and his body was shrunken, but his famous virtue became widely renowned. It was like the opening up of a kumuda flower when the moon has just risen. His excellent fame spread all over the land. Men and women rivaled to come and see him.'

However, there's nothing like that in the Sanskrit version, as translated by E.B. Cowell in 1894. See the same section in chapter 12 from verse 89 here.

And the opposite image is given in the Lalitavistara:

'Those who passed by the Bodhisattva, such as village boys or girls, ox herders, cow herders, grass collectors, wood collectors, and those looking for dung, all thought he was a demon made of dust. They made fun of him and sprinkled him with dust.'
(The Play in Full, 17.44)
1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

There is or was a sutra passage which literally spoke about "a bell hung in the sky". I am quite sure it was in the pali scriptures. It has probably been lost now, because nobody has been referring to it lately or recently. Sutras/suttas do change, and they do disappear. There is no material universe "out there", that would be independent of the consciousness and karma of mankind. There is or was an old prophecy which said that in the future the text or letters will disappear from the sutras, only blank pages will be left.
svaha
Anders

Post by Anders »

In the kammathana tradition, they uphold the tradition of eating only once day which I suppose you'd call 23 hour fasting (?).

You feel starving for the first week but after that I found it was fine. The worst part really was eating a big meal in the morning.
"Even if my body should be burnt to death in the fires of hell
I would endure it for myriad lifetimes
As your companion in practice"

--- Gandavyuha Sutra
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

I have some Thai and Lao monk (Theravada) friends. They strictly observe not eating past noon. They do eat breakfast, and a pretty big lunch, which is always prepared for them by members of the local Lao/Thai community. I’ve known the head monk (Ahahn) for over 17 years. He looks remarkably just as he did when we first met. If you know the expression, “you haven’t aged a day” that’s him. Also very lucid and full of energy.
I think his dietary schedule has a lot to do with that.

My understanding is that (in Buddhist practice) the reason for occasional fasting such as Vajrayana practitioners would observe during a nyu-ney (short period of intense visualization practices lasting a few days), or following the vinaya rule of not eating after lunch, is mainly to reduce one’s attachment to needing to eat.

Food is basic to living. It’s more powerful than sex. (Thats why the Hari Krishnas and many Christian sects use feeding people as a way to convert others). Eating literally transforms the body and mind. It causes the release of endorphins and causes other physiological events to occur. You eat a good meal and listen to a sermon and it all comes together in your mind.

So, we have this built-in attachment, sort of like an addiction, a mental addiction to eating. “If I don’t eat, I’ll be hungry! If I stop eating, I will die!” But, maybe it is okay to feel a little hungry. Maybe it’s really okay to feel a little hungry and then developing the mental discipline to overcome that. This is not about starving or electrolytes or anything like that. It’s more about letting go of the attachment and fear associated with not eating.

Yeah, maybe you’ll feel hungry. And even, yeah, if you stop eating, you’ll die. So, this provides an opportunity to contemplate your own mortality. Theoretically, if one is perfecting non-attachment, one shouldn’t be afraid of death either. Of course, that’s not a realist expectation for the average lay-practitioner. Most of us are pretty attached to the idea of not dying! And most of us also like the pleasure of eating good food. Cooking is a big interest of mine. Especially various Asian cuisines.

I think, as with just about everything approached in Buddhist practice, fasting is regarded as a means, a tool, a method for letting go of self-cherishing and ego attachment. The idea of not eating immediately triggers self-attachment (self-preservation) and all of the anxieties and fears that come with it. That’s why fasting is a useful practice for laypeople and a daily practice for monks and nuns. But what the Buddha realized is that fasting, itself, isn’t the key to realization. Like everything else in the “middle way” it needs to be done in moderation.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka »

Astus wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:45 pm
Sādhaka wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:11 pmfor the moment we can at least say that Buddhist & Bönpo monks (in all traditions as far as I’m aware) are usually doing intermittent-fasting for about 17-20 hours a day on average, and not usually eating anything after solar noon.
It is not called fasting but it is one of the precepts for monastics.

“Mendicants, I eat my food in one sitting per day. Doing so, I find that I’m healthy and well, nimble, strong, and living comfortably. You too should eat your food in one sitting per day. Doing so, you’ll find that you’re healthy and well, nimble, strong, and living comfortably.”
(MN 65)

It's a precept also observed by lay people during uposatha/sabbath:

‘As long as they live, the perfected ones eat in one part of the day, abstaining from eating at night and from food at the wrong time. I, too, for this day and night will eat in one part of the day, abstaining from eating at night and food at the wrong time. I will observe the sabbath by doing as the perfected ones do in this respect.’
(AN 3.70, AN 8.41)

Well in modern terminologies, people call it intermittent-fasting, or OMAD (One Meal A Day).
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

Astus wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 12:02 pm
And the opposite image is given in the Lalitavistara:

'Those who passed by the Bodhisattva, such as village boys or girls, ox herders, cow herders, grass collectors, wood collectors, and those looking for dung, all thought he was a demon made of dust. They made fun of him and sprinkled him with dust.'
(The Play in Full, 17.44)
Lalitavistara sutra (Voice of the Buddha), The Seventeeth Chapter, The Practice of Austerities says also this:

"And those who excel in all things
the gods, asuras, nagas, yakshas and gandharvas
render homage day and night
to the one who possesses great virtues."

"Twelve complete niyutas of men and gods
become trained in the three vehicles.
For this reason does the one with the great mind
apply himself to Asphanaka contemplation."

It clearly says that the practice of austerieties had certain positive results. And that he was famous at least among nonhuman beings.
svaha
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Aemilius wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 12:32 pm There is or was a sutra passage which literally spoke about "a bell hung in the sky". I am quite sure it was in the pali scriptures. It has probably been lost now, because nobody has been referring to it lately or recently.
The bell simile isn't in the Pali suttas, but it is found in a much later text, the Nidānakathā, which is the introductory part of the Jātaka commentary.
And the Bodhisatta recovered consciousness again, and stood up. And the devas went and told the king, “Your son, O king, is well.” And the king said: “I knew my son was not dead.”

And the Great Being’s six years’ penance became noised abroad, as when the sound of a great bell is heard in the sky. But he perceived that penance was not the way to wisdom; and begging through the villages and towns, he collected ordinary material food, and lived upon it. And the thirty-two signs of a Great Being appeared again upon him, and his body became fair in colour, like unto gold.
https://www.ancient-buddhist-texts.net/ ... a/000b.htm
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Regardless of what he ate any other time during his life, it was that “pig’s delight” that Cunda Kammāraputta fed him that did him, creating the conditions for the Buddha’s parinirvana.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

The primary cause of Buddha's parinirvana was his relinguishing of the remainder of his life. In this view he didn't die from food-poisoning or indigestion, which is told at length in a Sutra:

[Mara says] : ‘Venerable Sir, let the Bhagavā realize Parinibbāna now, let the Well Spoken One pass away! Venerable Sir, it is time now for the Bhagavā to pass away.’

“Ānanda, on being requested thus, I said to Māra: ‘O Evil One, don't you worry: the Parinibbāna of the Tathāgata will not be long in coming, three months hence the Tathāgata will realize Parinibbāna.’

“Ānanda, today at the Cāpāta shrine, the Tathāgata has decided, mindfully and with deliberation, to give up the life-maintaining mental process (three months from now).”

When the Buddha said this, the Venerable Ānanda entreated Him thus:

“Venerable Sir, may the Bhagavā, for the welfare of mankind, for the benefit, wellbeing and happiness of devas and humans, out of compassion for the world, live the maximum life span! May the Well-Spoken One live the maximum life span!”

Thereupon the Buddha said:

“Enough, Ānanda, Do not implore the Tathāgata now. The time for such entreaty is past.”

For a second time the Venerable Ānanda repeated his entreaty and the Buddha rejected it in the same words. When for a third time he repeated his entreaty the Buddha said to him: “Do you have faith in the Enlightenment wisdom (Bodhi-ñāṇa) of the Tathāgata?”

“Yes, I do, Venerable Sir.”

“Why, then, in spite of your belief, do you persist entreating Me thrice?”

“Venerable Sir, I have been told by the Bhagavā Himself thus:

‘Ānanda, whoever has cultivated, practised, used as a medium, taken as his basis, kept up, mastered, and fully developed the Four bases of Psychic Power (iddhipāda) could, if he so wishes, live the maximum life span or even beyond the maximum life span. Ānanda, the Tathāgata has cultivated, practised, used as a medium, taken as His basis, kept up, mastered, and fully developed the Four Bases of Psychic Power. Therefore, Ānanda, the Tathāgata could, if He so wishes, live the maximum life span or even beyond the maximum life span.’ (Venerable Sir, it is on account of those words of the Bhagavā that I make the appeal thrice).”

“Do you believe that, Ānanda?”

“Yes, Venerable Sir, I do.”

“Ānanda, although the Tathāgata thus gave clear hints, you failed to grasp them. It never occurred to you to entreat the Bhagavā: ‘May the Bhagavā, for the welfare of mankind, for the benefit, wellbeing and happiness of devas and humans, out of compassion for the world, live the maximum life span! May the Well-Spoken One live the maximum life span!’ Therefore, Ānanda, this failure to entreat Me then is your doing, your own omission.

“Ānanda, if you had entreated Me then, the Tathāgata might have refused the entreaty twice but might have acceded to it on the third time. Therefore, Ānanda, this failure to entreat Me then is your own doing, your own omission.”

The Buddha relates Similar Instances of Omission on The Past of Ānanda to allay His Sorrow
(1) “Ānanda, on one occasion, I was staying on the mountain abode on the Gijjhakuṭa hill in Rājagaha. (p1:) At that time I had said to you: ‘Ānanda, pleasant is the city of Rājagaha. Ānanda, pleasant is the Gijjhakuṭa hill. Ānanda, whosoever has cultivated, practised, used as a vehicle (medium), taken as his basis, kept up, mastered, and fully developed the Four Bases of Psychic Power (iddhipāda), could, if he so wishes, live the maximum life span or even beyond the maximum life span. Ānanda, the Tathāgata has cultivated, practised, used as a vehicle (medium), taken as His basis, kept up, mastered, and fully developed the Four Bases of Psychic Powered.

Therefore, Ānanda, the Tathāgata could, if He so wishes, live the maximum life span or even beyond the maximum life span.

“Ānanda, although the Tathāgata thus gave clear hints, you failed to grasp them. It never occurred to you to entreat the Bhagavā: ‘May the Bhagavā, for the welfare of mankind, for the benefit, wellbeing and happiness of devas and men, out of compassion for the world, live the maximum life span! May the Bhagavā live the maximum life span!

“Ānanda, if you had entreated Me then, the Tathāgata might have refused the entreaty twice but might have acceded to it on the third time. Therefore, this failure to entreat Me then is your own doing, your own omission.

“Ānanda, on one occasion,.....

(2) I was dwelling at the foot of Gotama banyan tree in Rājagaha...(Repeat p1: above)

(3) I was dwelling at the Corapāta cliff near Rājagaha...(Repeat p1: above)

(4) I was dwelling in the Sattapaṇṇi cave in the side of Vebhāra mountain (where the Astonic scholaris tree grows) near Rājagaha...(Repeat p1: above)

(5) I was at Kaḷasia at the side of the Isigili mountain near Rājagaha...(Repeat p1: above)

(6) at the ebony grove in the Sappasoṇḍika mountain range near Rājagaha...(Repeat p1: above:)

(7) at the Tapodārāma monastery in Rājagaha...(Repeat p1: above)

(8) at Veḷuvana monastery where black squirrels are fed...(Repeat p1: above)

(9) at the mango grove of Jīvaka...(Repeat p1: above)

(10) at the Migadāya wood in Maddakucahi near Rājagaha...(Repeat p1: above)

Ānanda, while I was dwelling at those places, too, I had said to you:

(1) Ānanda, Rājagaha is pleasant...(2) Ānanda, Gotama banyan tree is pleasant... (3) Corapāpta cliff is pleasant...(4) Sattapaṇṇi cave is pleasant..(5) Kaḷasla at the side of Isigli mountain is pleasant... (6) The ebony grove in the Sappasoṇḍika mountain rage is pleasant... (7) Tapodārāma monastery is pleasant...(8) Veḷuvana monastery where black squirrels are fed is pleasant...(9) the mango grove of Jīvaka is pleasant...(10) the Migadāya Wood in Maddakucchi is pleasant. Ānanda, whoever has cultivated, practised, used as a vehicle, medium, taken as his basis, kept up, mastered, and fully developed the Four Bases of Psychic Power could, if he so wishes, live the maximum life span or even beyond the maximum life span. Ānanda, the Tathāgata has cultivated, practised, used as (vehicle) medium, taken as His basis, kept up, mastered, and fully developed the Four Bases of Psychic Power. Therefore, Ānanda, the Tathāgata could, if He so wishes, live the maximum life span or even beyond the maximum life span.

“Ānanda, although the Tathāgata thus gave clear hints, you failed to grasp them. It never occurred to you to entreat the Bhagavā: ‘May the Bhagavā, for the welfare of mankind, for the benefit, wellbeing and happiness of devas and men, out of compassion for the world, live the maximum life span! May the Well-Spoken One live the maximum life span!’

“Ānanda, if you had entreated Me then, the Tathāgata might have refused the entreaty twice but might have acceded to it on the third time. Therefore, Ānanda, this failure to entreat Me then is your own doing, your own omission.”

a) “Ānanda, on one occasion, while I was living at the Udena Shrine in Vesālī, (p2:) there too, I said to you: ‘Ānanda, Vesālī is pleasant. The Udena shrine is pleasant. Ānanda, whoever has cultivated, practised, used as a (vehicle) medium, taken as his basis, kept up, mastered, and fully developed the Four-Bases of Psychic Power could, if he so wishes, live the maximum life span or even beyond the maximum life span. Ānanda, the Tathāgata has cultivated, practised, used as a (vehicle) medium, taken as His basis, kept up, mastered, and fully developed the Four Bases of Psychic Power. Therefore, Ānanda, the Tathāgata could, if He so wishes, live the maximum life span or even beyond the maximum life span.

“Ānanda, although the Tathāgata thus gave clear hints, you failed to grasp them. It never occurred to you to entreat the Bhagavā: ‘May the Bhagavā, for the welfare of mankind, for the benefit, wellbeing and happiness of devas and humans, out of compassion for the world, live the maximum life span! May the Well-Spoken One live the maximum life span!

“Ānanda, if you had entreated Me then, the Tathāgata might have refused the entreaty twice but might have acceded to it on the third time. Therefore, Ānanda, this failure to entreat the Bhagavā then is your own doing, your own omission.

“Ānanda, on one occasion, while I was staying.....

b) at the Gotama Shrine in this very city of Vesālī--(Repeat p2: above)

c) at the Sattamba shrine in this very city of Vesālī,...(Repeat p2: above)

d) at the Bahuputta shrine in this very city of Vesālī...(Repeat p2: above)

e) at the Sāranada shrine in this very city of Vesālī...(Repeat p2: above)

f) “Ānanda, today, at the Cāpāla shrine, the Tathāgata has just said to you: ‘Ānanda, Vesālī is pleasant, the Cāpāla shrine is pleasant. Ānanda, whosoever has cultivated, practised, used as a (vehicle) medium, taken as his basis, kept up, mastered, and fully developed the Four Bases of Psychic Power could, if he so wishes, live the maximum life span or even beyond the maximum life span. Ānanda the Tathāgata has cultivated, practised, used as a (vehicle) medium, taken as His basis, kept up, mastered, and fully developed the Four Bases of Psychic Power. Therefore, Ānanda, the Tathāgata could, if He so wishes, live the maximum life span or even beyond the maximum life span.

“Ānanda, although the Tathāgata thus gave clear hints, you failed to grasp them. It never occurred to you to entreat the Bhagavā: ‘May the Bhagavā, for the welfare of mankind, for the benefit, wellbeing and happiness of devas and humans, out of compassion for the world, live the maximum life span! May the Well-Spoken One live the maximum life span!’

“Ānanda, if you had entreated Me then, the Tathāgata might have refused the entreaty twice but might have acceded to it on the third time. Therefore, Ānanda, this failure to entreat the Bhagavā then is your own doing, your own omission.”

(The Buddha related the fifteen previous instances of Ānanda’s failure to entreat Him to continue to live. That latest occasion, the sixteenth, took place at the Cāpāla shrine. All these cases of omission were pointed out here by the Buddha to attenuate the sorrow Ānanda was feeling at that time. Of course, Ānanda’s failure on all these various occasions was due to Māra’s mischief.)

“Ānanda, have I not previously told you that it is in the very nature of things most near and dear to us that we must part with them somehow, even while we are living, or when death divides us, or when we are of different planes of existence? Ānanda, in this matter, how could one expect anything that has the nature of arising, of appearing, of being conditioned, and of dissolution, not to disintegrate? It is not possible for anyone to wish so.

“Ānanda, the Tathāgata has discarded, thrown up, given up, abandoned, thrown away, and relinquished the life-maintaining mental process. And the Tathāgata has spoken out in no uncertain terms that the Parinibbāna of the Tathāgata will not be long in coming, that three months hence the Tathāgata will realize Parinibbāna. There is no possibility of the Tathāgata, for the sake of living, to go back on His word. Come, Ānanda, let us go to the pinnacled hall at the Mahāvana forest.”

“Very well, Venerable Sir,” assented Ānanda.

from The Great Chronicle of Buddhas https://www.wisdomlib.org/buddhism/book ... 64680.html
svaha

Return to “Dharma Stories”