'Dakas and dakinis' in Seven-Line Prayer

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
LhakpaT

'Dakas and dakinis' in Seven-Line Prayer

Post by LhakpaT »

Recently saw a translation being used that had the fifth line as "surrounded by many dakas and dakinis". I can only assume this was an attempt at gender-inclusive language? Doesn't seem right to me though to change the translation that far from what the Tibetan literally says especially when it's being encountered for the first time by English-speakers who don't know that liberties are being taken with translation. Anyone have thoughts?
Aryjna

Re: 'Dakas and dakinis' in Seven-Line Prayer

Post by Aryjna »

https://rywiki.tsadra.org/index.php/mkha%27_%27gro does not refer to female dakinis only as far as I know.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

LhakpaT wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 10:37 am Recently saw a translation being used that had the fifth line as "surrounded by many dakas and dakinis". I can only assume this was an attempt at gender-inclusive language? Doesn't seem right to me though to change the translation that far from what the Tibetan literally says especially when it's being encountered for the first time by English-speakers who don't know that liberties are being taken with translation. Anyone have thoughts?
Mkha' 'gro is actually male gendered in Tibetan, translating the word "ḍāka." "Ḍākinī" is "mkha' 'gro ma."

Guru Rinpoche is surrounded by both ḍākas and ḍākinīs, in fact.
LhakpaT

Post by LhakpaT »

Malcolm wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 3:21 pm
LhakpaT wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 10:37 am Recently saw a translation being used that had the fifth line as "surrounded by many dakas and dakinis". I can only assume this was an attempt at gender-inclusive language? Doesn't seem right to me though to change the translation that far from what the Tibetan literally says especially when it's being encountered for the first time by English-speakers who don't know that liberties are being taken with translation. Anyone have thoughts?
Mkha' 'gro is actually male gendered in Tibetan, translating the word "ḍāka." "Ḍākinī" is "mkha' 'gro ma."

Guru Rinpoche is surrounded by both ḍākas and ḍākinīs, in fact.
I stand corrected. Thank you.
lelopa

Post by lelopa »

there is the "normal" version with: khordu khandro mang po'i kor
and a version with: khor du pawo khandro'i kor
where khandro are dakinis and pawo the male dakas
Lost In Transmission

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”